Thread: Woodies at the last Sauna Sail?

Default Woodies at the last Sauna Sail?

Hi Folks (at least those near enough to the SE corner.....),

The Sauna Sail – that iconic mid-winter regatta that has been going for over half a century took a hit when the Groverllment turned off the Power that was warming the lake (Hazelwood) for the dinghy racers - but I had fond hopes that the rise of Dinghy Cruising could see the Queens Birthday long weekends become a Softies meet for us ......

Consider- we don't ordinarily dunk ourselves so water temp is less an issue. (though I hear its not that bad ….)

The Club (the Latrobe Valley Yacht Club) is an excellent host - laid back but organized, well established - and has eats, including bacon and egg sangers for brekkie available.

There is an extensive camping area with beach and campfires for any sized group are possible!

I had in mind a "Softies Meet for Hardcore Beach Cruiser (Wannabees)" - or something like .....

Notice here: http://www.lvyc.org.au/

But now they are talking about pulling the plug on the lake and returning it to farmland ....... so this may be the last gasp!

Well, anyway I will be taking my 'Big dinghy with a lid and comfy chair and tea-making facilities' - and also a fire brazier and some firewood and some comfort beverage and see if something can't be salvaged from the situation.

I will have a spare chair and "glass" for a drop-in ....... But, hey! If there are other souls of a like inclination who would like to join me and build something for the future let's meet up. Bring yourself (and boat if you have one – otherwise camp) – oh and a bit of firewood if poss – the more the merrier!

I am sure we could spontaneously organise some fun activities - not "Racing" but some non-serious rivalry, demonstrations and rubbernecking others boats and gizmos and general conviviality is hoped for.

Cheers!

Frank

ps - a piccy for those who may recognise it

why does it go sideways???

Default Re: Woodies at the last Sauna Sail?

G'day Frank. Too early to tell, but I have bought the Sabre home for some serious TLC. New go faster varnish on the deck for a start and a new beach trolley axle. I fixed a leaking transom mid season. I intend to do some sailing this winter (providing we get one of course), likely out of Mornington rather than on Western port. I'll see what's happening closer to the day.

Hi Jeff,
    well, lets hope the weather smiles ......
    it would be great to catch up with you
    - but at this stage it doesn't look to being a major confest of alternate - to - racing - round - the - buoys - with - a - gofast - boat type of thing!
    I must admit that i feel a bit slack - i dont seem to have been able to lay my hands on many of the contact addresses of people i saw at various other gatherings, Goolwa, Hobart, Geelong, Paynesville etc .
    I alsd seem to have lost touch with the John Welsford crowd who i thought would like to show their boats off to one another and the world ....
    I sort of thought there might be a new movement of us old codgers gadding about in more interesting ways than just 'around the bouys'
    never mind, i am looking forward to a break just kicking back away from home
    Cheers,
    Frank

The sailfish mob are going to Goolwa Frank and I think I'll join them. I took the Mac there a few times, much more suitable water than Inverloch.
    I tried to 'sail' across once, putting the canoe in any scrap of water I came across on the way. Salt lakes included if I could actually reach the water.
    I got told off for sailing in a big irrigation channel, but I also got an invite for lunch from a farmer.

Reminds me of the time i 'sailed' an Oughtred Puffin there and back - mostly the lakes were grass so the rigged boat on its trailer became a 'land yacht' ! The Coorong was so shallow and rocky the c/b took a fearful beating.

I'm glad I'm not the only mad one Frank!