Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Fetching airplane pictures

Default Re: Fetching airplane pictures

i reckon i like spartans as much or more than i do staggerwings. . .

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    When accident investigators refer to the aircraft in question, right next to it in the Commonwealth designation is (AKA NA P51-D)

"Improved" is a bit of a stretch when you put in a different engine. The CA22.Mk22 were "modified like the P51-F-6D".

We all know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Licensed production isn't imitation. I guess we can thank LBJ for pointing out the difficulties we were having re Spitfire licensing for us getting the P51
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

That's nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post

the only post war spartan built
    hard to compete against converted war surplus aircraft
    after building this, spartan transitioned to manufacturing high end luxury travel trailers

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Licensed production isn't imitation. I guess we can thank LBJ for pointing out the difficulties we were having re Spitfire licensing for us getting the P51
    So, are you building the same aircraft (a copy) an improved aircraft or what? I think you'll have to make up your mind.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

You could buy this, converted for fast luxury civilian use, in 1950 for half the price of a new Beech Bonanza.

pressurized, seating for six or eight passengers, toilet, sleeping quarters, full length six foot headroom, flush glass, cabinn heat, apu, dc-6 landing gear and brakes, improved rudder. . .

365 mph cruise speed and 25,000 ceiling

Last edited by Paul Pless; 04-17-2018 at 07:48 AM.

So, are you building the same aircraft (a copy) an improved aircraft or what? I think you'll have to make up your mind.
    pedantry troll rules apply to almost all bigfella aviation related posts . . .

What aircraft are you meaning? The dog with the Allison? The improvement with the Packard Merlin or the one that had the Rolls Royce engine? All up there were over 13,000 copies IIRC, but the war was already turned two years before any of them showed up.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

You mean I post without a Weinstein filter? Facts rather than a Hollywood fairy tale?

What aircraft are you meaning? The dog with the Allison? The improvement with the Packard Merlin or the one that had the Rolls Royce engine? All up there were over 13,000 copies IIRC, but the war was already turned two years before any of them showed up.
    So in other words, they were no different than other P-51's - simply improved the way that the American P-51-D's onward and British MkIV's were.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

So in other words, they were no different than other P-51's - simply improved the way that the American P-51-D's onward and British MkIV's were.
    I'm sure that a person of your obvious intelligence can find the answer to that

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Saw the Lockheed take off and land, johnwill. I believe the Convair was a static display, or simply wasn't there (might just be remembering press photos, which came in the mail to Dad by the bushel). It has only been recently where I read that the Lockheed was very difficult for the pilot to transfer from horiz to vertical for landing.
    I believe the Convair pilot seat would rotate about 45 deg forward during takeoff and landing to give the pilot a better view of the ground. Not sure about the Lockheed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...cid=spartandhp

Speaking of Lockheed, I believe they would have joined the fuselages with a continuous horiz stabilizer and elevator; why mess with success. Now some engineer probably had paperwork full of calcs showing how the wing will withstand the twist, but Lockheed would say "BS, why mess with success" (the P-38).
    I agree completely about the torque in the wing center section. As an airplane structural engineer, I cringe at the thought of an unbalanced gust or flutter effects. I'm sure the flight controls are programmed to handle those events, hope it works.

The Lockheed seat also pivoted forward as the AC went vertical.

Changing the subject, a friend had a Spartan for awhile. An excellent airline pilot, qualified to fly and instruct in many warbirds, he once had to land the Spartan in a pasture near the airport after he blew a jug. I was invited for a hop once. The pilot usually made wheel landings in his Spartan, a maneuver he once gave me some key advice about as I was flying a rented Cessna-140.

I didn't read the entire thread, but I looked at all the pictures (Playboy syndrome I guess). I didn't see a Staggerwind pic. As I've mentioned before, my 91 year old neighbor and his friend rebuilt one and then flew it from Seattle to Miami for sale to someone in South America. It was very similar to this one. The lower pic is my neighbor in the right seat. He fabriced and doped the wings in the front yard, stopped a lot of passerbys.

stag2.jpg

You could buy this, converted for fast luxury civilian use, in 1950 for half the price of a new Beech Bonanza.

pressurized, seating for six or eight passengers, toilet, sleeping quarters, full length six foot headroom, flush glass, cabinn heat, apu, dc-6 landing gear and brakes, improved rudder. . .

365 mph cruise speed and 25,000 ceiling

Sexy Sue looks nice and the plane is pretty cool too.

I saw a couple of B-26s at Barstow Dagget airfield during desert exercises at Ft Irwin. The mechanic who was rebuilding and maintaining a couple dozen war birds said they'd flown in with nothing more than tachometers and oil pressure gauges. Here's a picture of one of them.

Might well be some parts from this one on Sexy Sue.

The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

This looks alot like the Savage Bobber
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post

Had the chance to crawl all over a recently refinished Executive at Trippletree Aerodrome last year. What a beauty it is and really great performance as well. Was this the first all metal plane to have wing/fuselage fairing? New ones were needed for the rebuild and it took several attempts on the wheel to get it right.

As a Civil Air Patrol Cadet, I got to fly in the plastic nose of a recon model of the A26 at Myrtle Beach Air Base in 1947. With the pilot showing off a bit, it was certainly the fastest I've gone in a prop plane. The body has a small cross section so it was probably tight for a private passenger plane and the fuel bill would have been way up there too.
    Tom L

apart from the shoulder shoving...
    a really good thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RonP View Post
    This looks alot like the Savage Bobber
    Correct.
    Nosce te ipsum

So you noticed...
    Xanthorrea

Another Bear for Paul, this time with a favourite of mine, the BAC (English Electric Lightning). I used to have a bunch of aircraft books and this photo appeared in many of them.

One of the books I had autographed by Mike Hale. He's the pilot detailed in the Wikipedia pages as having intercepted a U2 in a Lightning. I was visiting RAF Binbrook on my 16th birthday and his wife was our tour guide. She popped home to get him to sign a picture taken by his gun-camera from a red flag exercise where he scored a hit on an F-15. He was home convalescing after ejecting from a Lightning over the North Sea - they were good when they worked.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Since when is an improved original a copy?
    They had a different version of the Merlin, so they weren't Mustangs?

Silly.

Nosce te ipsum

Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    They had a different version of the Merlin, so they weren't Mustangs?

Silly.
    So, you'd call this a Mustang?

Nosce te ipsum

Nosce te ipsum

Nosce te ipsum

DA!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Xanthorrea

Nice to see the amphibian. I flew in one of those, 35 years ago

They were licensed because they were an existing design, the P-51. And the CA-22 used the Packard engine.

CAC CA-18 Mustang Mk 21, Mk 22 and Mk 23 120 License production in Australia of 120 (170 were originally ordered) P-51D. The Mk 21 and Mk 22 used the American-built Packard V-1650-3 or V-1650-7 engine and the Mk 23 (which followed the Mk 21) was powered by a Rolls-Royce Merlin 66 or Merlin 70 engine.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...n_P-51_Mustang

Had they actually been a different design than the P-51 Mustang, no license would have been required.

So, you'd call this a Mustang?

I would call them modified Mustang airframes. They were built as Mustangs, but during modification most of the parts were replaced, unlike the Australian Mustangs, which were license-built to Mustang plans.