Thread: New York climate lawyer thread?

Default New York climate lawyer thread?

is there a thread here about the Global Warming activist/lawyer?

Default Re: New York climate lawyer thread?

I know of a few down under Daniel. A law degree doesn't always mean you don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I know of a few down under Daniel. A law degree doesn't always mean you don't care.
    I was referring to the Lawyer who recently set himself on fire... to protest Global Warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    I was referring to the Lawyer who recently set himself on fire... to protest Global Warming.
    Did he get your attention?

[IMc - Here's the story. I don't know if his suicide is just as he left in his note or if there were aggrivating depressions.]

Published on Sunday, April 15, 2018, by Common Dreams

In Hopes That Death 'Might Serve Others,' Lawyer and Human Rights Advocate David Buckel Lights Himself on Fire in Fossil Fuel Protest
    "My early death by fossil fuel reflects what we are doing to ourselves," wrote the prominent LGBTQ rights lawyer in suicide note

by Julia Conley, staff writer

David Buckel, an influential gay rights attorney and environmental campaigner, died this weekend after self-immolating in a protest against fossil fuels. (Photo: AP)
    Prominent LGBTQ rights lawyer and environmental campaigner David Buckel died this weekend after self-immolating in an apparent protest against the destruction caused by greenhouse gas emissions.

"Pollution ravages our planet, oozing inhabitability via air, soil, water and weather. Most humans on the planet now breathe air made unhealthy by fossil fuels, and many die early deaths as a result—my early death by fossil fuel reflects what we are doing to ourselves," read a note that was found near Buckel's remains, in Prospect Park in Brooklyn, New York early on Saturday morning.

Buckel, who was 60 years old, added that he hoped his death "might serve others."

The attorney ran Lambda Legal's Marriage Project before the Supreme Court ruled in favor of marriage equality in 2015. He also steered the group's efforts to fight for LGBTQ youths' rights, winning a landmark victory in 1996 for a high school student who was forced to leave his school after administrators failed to protect him from brutal bullying.

Buckel also prosecuted Richardson County, Neb., which was found liable in the murder of Brandon Teena, a transgender teenager.

"The news of David’s death is heartbreaking," said Camilla Taylor, director of constitutional litigation for Lambda Legal, in a statement. "This is a tremendous loss for our Lambda Legal family, but also for the entire movement for social justice...We have lost a movement leader, a colleague, and a friend. We will honor his life by continuing his fight for a better world."

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/n...dead-fire.html
    Mr. Buckel became involved in environmental causes, which he alluded to in his note as the reason he decided to end his life by self-immolation with fossil fuels.“Pollution ravages our planet, oozing inhabitability via air, soil, water and weather,” he wrote in the email sent to The Times. “Most humans on the planet now breathe air made unhealthy by fossil fuels, and many die early deaths as a result — my early death by fossil fuel reflects what we are doing to ourselves.”
    In his note, which was received by The Times at 5:55 a.m., Mr. Buckel discussed the difficulty of improving the world even for those who make vigorous efforts to do so.
    Privilege, he said, was derived from the suffering of others.
    “Many who drive their own lives to help others often realize that they do not change what causes the need for their help,” Mr. Buckel wrote, adding that donating to organizations was not enough.
    Noting that he was privileged with “good health to the final moment,” Mr. Buckel said he wanted his death to lead to increased action. “Honorable purpose in life invites honorable purpose in death,” he wrote.
    cross post with Ian.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Did he get your attention?
    not in a positive way... this act will be used to demonstrate how crazy and disturbed Global Warming Activists are for years to come... just wondering where the thread is.

sad that Buckel did not get the psychiatric help that he apparently needed in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post

thanks

A a successful lawyer I suspect that he may have made a better contribution by staying alive and fighting cases against 'warming' then by topping himself.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Fifty five years ago.

Unfortunately that didn't help either, at least not with the government. It sure got the attention of the anti-Vietnam war crowd but it took many years for that perspective to finally win out.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

And the 'cause' he was all burnt up about?

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    And the 'cause' he was all burnt up about?
    He was a Vietnamese Mahayana Buddhist monk who burned himself to death at a busy Saigon road intersection on 11 June 1963. He was protesting the persecution of Buddhists by the South Vietnamese government.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Isla is a genius, I suspect. I love how optimistic he is. There is great beauty there. But don't tell him.

Is 'cause' in single quotation marks [#12] because you could not understand the suicide note, or because you do not think climate change is a cause, or because you think Buckel's stated cause was a cover for some other reason?

Edited to add - I see the point of #13. I didn't realize anyone old enough had forgotten 1963 or if younger had not read any history. So I assumed . . .

If I may,

He was protesting the persecution of Buddhists by the [minority Catholic] South Vietnamese government.
    And they were quite brutal about it.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

I did not know about that.

Well I guess Trump can't hire him either.

not in a positive way... this act will be used to demonstrate how crazy and disturbed Global Warming Activists are for years to come... just wondering where the thread is.

sad that Buckel did not get the psychiatric help that he apparently needed in time.
    Used by whom Daniel and who are GWA?

Global Warming Activist (or Alarmist)
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Used by whom Daniel and who are GWA?
    by who?

Free Traders, Multinational Mega Corporations, Big Oil, Monsanto the NFL etc... who ever wants to dismiss Global Warming as a extremist cause supported by pseudo science and hysterical "sky is falling" type zealots.

is this the first Bilge thread about this incident

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    [IMc - Here's the story. I don't know if his suicide is just as he left in his note or if there were aggrivating depressions.]

Published on Sunday, April 15, 2018, by Common Dreams

In Hopes That Death 'Might Serve Others,' Lawyer and Human Rights Advocate David Buckel Lights Himself on Fire in Fossil Fuel Protest
    "My early death by fossil fuel reflects what we are doing to ourselves," wrote the prominent LGBTQ rights lawyer in suicide note

by Julia Conley, staff writer

David Buckel, an influential gay rights attorney and environmental campaigner, died this weekend after self-immolating in a protest against fossil fuels. (Photo: AP)
    Prominent LGBTQ rights lawyer and environmental campaigner David Buckel died this weekend after self-immolating in an apparent protest against the destruction caused by greenhouse gas emissions.

"Pollution ravages our planet, oozing inhabitability via air, soil, water and weather. Most humans on the planet now breathe air made unhealthy by fossil fuels, and many die early deaths as a result—my early death by fossil fuel reflects what we are doing to ourselves," read a note that was found near Buckel's remains, in Prospect Park in Brooklyn, New York early on Saturday morning.

Buckel, who was 60 years old, added that he hoped his death "might serve others."

The attorney ran Lambda Legal's Marriage Project before the Supreme Court ruled in favor of marriage equality in 2015. He also steered the group's efforts to fight for LGBTQ youths' rights, winning a landmark victory in 1996 for a high school student who was forced to leave his school after administrators failed to protect him from brutal bullying.

Buckel also prosecuted Richardson County, Neb., which was found liable in the murder of Brandon Teena, a transgender teenager.

"The news of David’s death is heartbreaking," said Camilla Taylor, director of constitutional litigation for Lambda Legal, in a statement. "This is a tremendous loss for our Lambda Legal family, but also for the entire movement for social justice...We have lost a movement leader, a colleague, and a friend. We will honor his life by continuing his fight for a better world."

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License

clearly the poor man was not in his right mind.

Are you saying that anyone who embraces death for what they believe to be a greater cause is insane or misguided? Anyone who is stupid enough to claim that can be shown any number of examples of people who died for a cause and who are lauded for it - from the "defenders" of the Alamo to Christ.

I think someone is trolling. I think the bilge isn’t biting.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Is 'cause' in single quotation marks [#12] because you could not understand the suicide note, or because you do not think climate change is a cause, or because you think Buckel's stated cause was a cover for some other reason?

Edited to add - I see the point of #13. I didn't realize anyone old enough had forgotten 1963 or if younger had not read any history. So I assumed . . .
    None, I think that he would have served/supported/furthered the cause he is/was championing by staying alive and pursuing it over decades.

In 1963 I was 7.

At that age I do not recall sitting glued to the radio e.g. BBC World Service for every news bulletin . . . we did not get TV until after 1967.

BTW Yes I did see the moon landing in 1969 live on TV.

Yes, I did read some history, just not everything about everything.

PS " 'Assume' makes an ....."