Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Old fasteners

Default Re: Old fasteners

I belive that, carousel case, is for sewing thread spools from a yardage goods store of the last century. The drawers were tapered to nearly a pointed end and are of light construction. I do think it could be useful for storing fastenings and wooden plugs in a work shop. The unsupported drawers are a bit awkward, when opened. Care is needed, if they are filled with heavy fastenings, or they will fill your socks! I have always planned to build one some Tuesday next week. It would fit nicely into a corner on one of my shop shelves!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    My shop would never see it! My wife would fill it with herbs/spices!
    Beautiful. Out of an old hardware store?
    Yes. The can sometimes be found on eBay, or in antique stores. They are not inexpensive. Somewhere, i found a project page where the maker did not want to spend the $3,500+ that the dealer was asking, so he started making. Took photos of every step. So one is in my future, but Time. There's the thing: Time.
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

If you come up with a source for the plans I would appreciate knowing about that.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    If you come up with a source for the plans I would appreciate knowing about that.
    Jay
    Tried sending you a PM. Your box is full...
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

I have decided that I need one of those to improve a dead corner area where two of my wall benches form an ELL. Any chance of a few pictures more of it? Is it six or eight sided? What kind of a post does it turn on? what were used for bearings? I can design my own but I kind of like that one!
    Thanks in advance! I will clear my mail box!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    I have decided that I need one of those to improve a dead corner area where two of my wall benches form an ELL. Any chance of a few pictures more of it? Is it six or eight sided? What kind of a post does it turn on? what were used for bearings? I can design my own but I kind of like that one!
    Thanks in advance! I will clear my mail box!
    Jay

The most effective use of space would be 4 rectangular boxes, you could even make it based on a pre-purchased box and or stock timber sides an ply bottom. Obviously you be a craftsman as you want

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com
    http://proasail.blogspot.co.uk
    What I get up to
    https://youtu.be/X9NZEyvpb_Y Streaker dinghy
    https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ Sail Canoe
    https://youtu.be/eW078PPgJak Proa

My father was a depression kid (the real depression) who could not walk past a bolt lying on the street without pocketing it, taking it to the basement, running it through the power wire brush, oiling it, and putting it in a Hills Brothers coffee can of similar objects. When he died most of this went into dumpsters, but I kept all the co-mingled brass / bronze / stainless. This has mostly been an astonishing blessing as I have started a boat: I have at least #60 of non-ferrous fasteners. The problem is provenance: some of these fasteners came from the ash pile of boats that burned in the hill-billy boatyard we used, but I am not always sure which ones.... The screws I can bend with my bare fingers are obvious, but how much can I trust the others??????

Ken

Good question!

Rick

Surely I can't be the only one here?

I have waited patiently for someone to come clean and disclose that their hording of screws etc is not only confined to the workshop.

18 months ago my wife fell down the stairs and as a result she is unable to do the housework.

This task falls to me now leading me to discover that EVERY vase contains some left over fixing adjacent to

whatever venture I carried out.

I have at least derived that this proves Ivy recognises that I am the Gaffer here and dare not even mention, let alone remove them.

Oh, the power.
    Last edited by Chippie; 05-18-2018 at 03:21 PM.

OMG, I have odds and ends all over the house too... drywall screws in surprising places, a small box of nails that has been on the kitchen counter for two months, a hammer in the half bath, cant remember why...

Well, of course! What else are cupboards, drawers, bookshelves, window sills, bath surrounds, corners, decks, benchtops, jars and hallways for?

Rick

plus

plus

equals

<wink, grin>
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Well, of course! What else are cupboards, drawers, bookshelves, window sills, bath surrounds, corners, decks, benchtops, jars and hallways for?

Rick
    Every now and then Felicity goes around the house and surrounds picking up screwdrivers, spanners, hammers, fastenings, gloves and whatever else I've left when I've got to 80% of a task. I figure I haven't finished yet, I'll leave the stuff there. She figures it's been 3 months, it's time to put those bloody tools away.

Yes, that big party-cracker end on the spliff is rather ugly, isn't it? <grin>
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Every now and then Felicity goes around the house and surrounds picking up screwdrivers, spanners, hammers, fastenings, gloves and whatever else I've left when I've got to 80% of a task. I figure I haven't finished yet, I'll leave the stuff there. She figures it's been 3 months, it's time to put those bloody tools away.
    I only start to feel guilty now when the spiderwebs start to link the strategically abandoned tools etc. together.

Rick

When we were building my parents' retirement house --- I worked on the crew-- Dad would sweep up every night and gather all the dropped and bent nails. He would then straighten them and sort them by size. He needed up with close to 50 pounds of 16d nails and another 50 pounds of 8d nails. I don't think he bought any nails for years after that. He would remind us where he got the nails while he used them on projects. "I paid for them in the first place. I wasn't gonna throw them out."
    Elect a clown expect a circus

My boss has a slanted tapered tray built into one of the fastener shelves to help sort and rebox. It's a game changer, let's you quickly and easily sort through.
    Nicholas

Since I started this thread, I suppose it was incumbent on me to come up with a solution for my shop. So I’ve decided on two new narrow shelves with fasteners in sort of sorted into clear plastic cups. This lets me see at a glance the various assortments and to choose a cup with a collection most likely to have what I’m looking for. They are somewhat sorted into broad categories, (screws, bolts, washers, nuts, etc.) and one cup is a nice size for pouring onto the sorting trays. As Nicholas stated above, the funnel trays are a game changer. I still have many more cans of fasteners to sort into plastic cups.

B677093A-E3B8-4AF9-9094-F442D1BE5D21.jpg

41D141BD-32A6-4A5E-9F90-EC393AF94913.jpg
    Last edited by ron ll; 05-29-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    When we were building my parents' retirement house --- I worked on the crew-- Dad would sweep up every night and gather all the dropped and bent nails. He would then straighten them and sort them by size. He needed up with close to 50 pounds of 16d nails and another 50 pounds of 8d nails. I don't think he bought any nails for years after that. He would remind us where he got the nails while he used them on projects. "I paid for them in the first place. I wasn't gonna throw them out."
    My first "job" when I was a kid was working on a new house for an old German in our neighborhood. I pulled nails from salvaged cardecking, straightened them on a RR Track "anvil" and got $5.00 a bucket for the nails. Not worth it now, but in retrospect he was being pretty generous to an 8 year old in the mid fifties.

Once upon a time, every handyman's shed in Australia had shelves of glass jars full of nails, screws etc. The jars often had their lids nailed to the underside of the shelf so you unscrewed the jar to remove it. The advent of cheap, plastic and metal racks, drawer sets, wheelie toolboxes etc. has pretty much wiped out this practice but you still see it occasionally, and some of us still do it a bit ...

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Once upon a time, every handyman's shed in Australia had shelves of glass jars full of nails, screws etc. The jars often had their lids nailed to the underside of the shelf so you unscrewed the jar to remove it. The advent of cheap, plastic and metal racks, drawer sets, wheelie toolboxes etc. has pretty much wiped out this practice but you still see it occasionally, and some of us still do it a bit ...

Rick
    Not just Oz. My grandfather did this. Seen a # of others as well.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

"
    I think the secret of good hording is being organised. I can’t remember what I did yesterday but in seconds I can lay my hand on something I used ten years ago. To the outsider however my boat shed looks like a disorganised mess"

I overheard a discussion on the Metro tink confirming that it IS a disorganised mess.
    Last edited by Chippie; 05-30-2018 at 02:12 AM.

Another trick is to use a magnet to pull the fasteners out of the old can for sorting into the cups. I did this to keep from getting stabbed by screws when trying to grab by handfuls. But I found it has the added advantage of automatically separating all non-ferrous fasteners which I put into separate cups. Handy when many projects are boat related.

B2CECC04-842A-4DC4-B0F3-AD179189A884.jpg

Also great for picking up nails and screws when you spill them over the bench and when you want to empty out a nail pouch.

Rick

A company I worked for used a magnetic floor sweeper to pick up all the dropped fixings.

I presume some poor sod had to sort them for reuse which considering the range of fixings we had was no small feet. We would have the same screw but in 5mm length increments, so if he got the style sorting wrong it could lead to damaged products and or warranty claims.

What I get up to

The only way it is worthwhile to save fasteners is to have them sorted so that you can find one when you need one.

I had a lot of mixed fasteners I inherited from my Dad plus many I had saved myself. I bought a couple of plastic-drawer cabinets and a screw gauge, then sat and sorted screws while watching TV. Now I have them sorted by diameter and thread type (nc machine, wood, sheetmetal) but not by length. It is easy to find the lengths you want if you have a box of screws of the right size, and often extra length is no problem.

It doesn't save me much on the cost of fasteners, but saves lots of trips to the hardware store. And it feels good to reuse stuff.
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)

Came across this variation on the jar under a shelf

Here is a commercial version of it which shows the idea a bit better

What I get up to