Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old fasteners

Default Re: Old fasteners

And have you ever noticed that if your boat shed is ever tidied up by you, or worse by some well meaning other, that it becomes nigh on impossible to function until proper chaos is restored...

It is a constant battle to keep the chaos. We built another shed for bikes and my daughters stuff. There is a small corner of the boat shed where my wife is allowed garden stuff. I also have to work hard to stop her wanting to move house, it is a careful balancing act of doing as little DIY as I can get away with

I'm starting to think the key may be in how they are sorted. I've usually tried to sort by type, i.e., wood screws, metal screws, hex bolts, lag bolts, carriage bolts, nuts, washers, etc. I'm wondering if other sorting categories might make more sense, like sort by size. One bin for 1/4" length and smaller, another for 1/4" to 1", one for 1" to 4", or something. Not sure that is any better. But it should somehow correlate with what you think of when you need something. Do you think, "I need a screw."? Or do you think, "I need something about an inch long to hold this together."? Or should they be sorted by material? I don't know.

One thing I do know, is that I don't have much use for keeping nails anymore. I have pneumatic nailers all the way from 24 ga pin nailers to 20d framing nailers. I most often reach for the 18 ga brad nailer. Failing that, it's reach for the screw gun and a drywall screw. Been a long time since I drove a nail with a hammer.

Sheetrock screws (especially coated ones) are my goto fastener on anything around the house that 20 years ago I would've nailed. Yep - more expensive than a nail, but they hold better & are far easier to remove. Brads & the like are, of course, a different story - though the new small head star drive screws disappear surprisingly well.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

However you sort them, a good idea is to have a pan to dump them in. Makes finding what you want much easier and when finished, tip the pan back up into the jar, box, etc.

That is a Rockler 37081 Easy Sorter Funnel Tray

$4 US $27UK

if anyone one this forum can’t build their own in a 10 mins then shame on you

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post

$4 US $27UK

Thats some exchange rate!

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post

$4 US $27UK

It’s a picture to demonstrate the idea. I didn’t say you had to buy one. But if you want to spend $27, I’ll ship you as many as you want. And just pay a separate unnamed special handling fee, and I’ll send you the second one free.

I use a large flat tray made from alum roof flashing. It has an outlet in one corner similar to that shown in #41.

I use whatever is handy, probably should find a good permanent one. I think I will make one like the Rockler one and store in with the mess of odd fasteners/

That was a quick look up on Amazon - just found it on Rockler for $2 - I’ll be shipping some the the US. There are a lot of people making serious money with big markups on Amazon Market Place. Even at $2 I’ll still make my own

Rockler have some very nice kit but obviously it is in imperial, would love to find a metric equivalent of their insty drive

http://www.rockler.com/insty-drive-d...it-adapter-set

Talking tools was my Birthday yesterday- you all wished me happy birthday so thanks - more clamps - happy days

Surely a sorting tray of the very best variety is the one made from off cuts and old fasteners... could even have a pouring spout made from that nameless bit of junk (treasure) that has been cluttering the corner of the shed since oh, way back when your Dad thought the T model was the latest tech.

I smell a virtual competition- build your own sorting try out the most obscure ‘treasure’ you can find.

Back in the old days before everything got green and segregated you could rummage around the public tip (dump? - regional variation?) and my dad would bring home more than he took there.

He also once was collared by the police for REMOVING old bricks that someone had fly tipped at the side of the road- he wanted it for hard core

Surely someone as encountered frustration when rummaging in THE BLOODY BOXES for six of a particular size there are only five.

Of course that calls for a cup of coffee, then another determined assault on THOSE ******* BOXES.

The finder of the 6th matching screw turns 13 in May, I think it is a job I am going to have to do myself from now on

If rummaging around in the tray doesn't work, tipping the whole lot onto the floor usually does. Good for irrigation fittings too.

I found a hopeful looking jar of assorted old fasteners in a box of jars which was amid other boxes of jars... well anyway, not yet having made a sorting tray, I dumped the whole jar out on my work bench and it didn't take long to find what I needed, but it did take long to clear the mess since I got distracted by all kinds of other stuff that came out of that jar... kept stopping, oooohhh what's this weird little thing from... oh now this one is very nice looking, reckon it need to find a use for that... half an hour later, sudden realisation that I am completely wasting time and so dump everything back to the jar and finally get back on task... the task did get done, thanks to that jar of old fasteners, and the result was pleasing.

I hate putting them back into the boxes/jars they seem to acquire life and defy picking up.

I hit on the idea of a 18" offcut of plastic guttering to tip them into and, after rummaging, tip and they slide back in.

I am now adding guttering offcuts to my collection.

I like it and I have a perfect piece of gutter, thanks.

Glad to help Oldad.

The problem I find annoying is as you proceed through life you complete jobs and congratulate yourself and think another job completed. Then for some reason several years later things need to change and you find on dismantling that you had resorted to the JARS when constructing, and having squeezed yourself into some almost inaccessible corner you want the pozzi not the slot

Whilst on the topic of "inaccessible" corner do you find it strange that the instant you finally apply yourself to the task the wife inevitably shouts you in for dinner or something?

The JARS are not a thing one resorts to, it is the hardware shop that one resorts to in the rare event that the JARS have been overworked for a particular item... but as it turns out the shop will only sell more than needed so the JARS will also be all fixed up ready for next time.

I have found that using a few pages from the newspaper is good to dump out the container onto, sort for the needed fastener, and then pick up the leftovers and funnel them back into the container.
    Doesn't even cost that two bucks for the tray.
    I've got that messy shop too, but once in a while I find use for that little whatchamacallit that I have been saving for many years...

The problem with dumping them onto a newspaper is that assumes you have a flat space in your shop to do so.

Good point, so now the project at hand is to fill the need for a newspaper spreading rack... built from scraps and old fasteners of course.

My great uncle had an amazing assortment of fasteners, of endless variety, all organized in jars and tins, and mostly labelled; one large jar I remember picking up, full of string bits; was labelled..... 'pieces of string too short to be of use' !!!!!

On my project list:
    4246136116_68f0df28c5_o.jpg
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Can I assume that you have large jar of knobs you want to utilise?

Nope... I just like the look of it!
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Z. View Post
    Nope... I just like the look of it!
    Yup, looks great - now if I could only get organized enough to actually make use of it !!!

Rick

I got parts of a cut up pre-war general stor counter for free. It has lots of small yet sturdy drawers which will be excellent for this sort of stuff.

I surely have some 200 or 300 kilos of fasteners in the workshop and in the tractor shed. Most of them neatly sorted but some are one offs in mixed boxes.
    Without that hoard I would spend more time driving to town and back to fetch fasteners than I would spend making stuff.
    It is also a matter of avaiability. BSF and whitworth bolts and nots are are almost unobtainable theese days and it you manage to get any the lead time may be 2-3 months. UNC and UNF are also getting harder to find. Everything is metric.
    The same problem applies to woodscrews there the old sort with thick shank are unobtainable.

As I often repair old stuff of all sorts I have the choice to either get the appropriate oldfashioned fasteners from somewhere or make them. Have you ever filed your own woodscrews from round bar? It is one hell of a job.

Yesterday and the day before I hand forged 48 nails in an odd size which I need to repair an 18th century chest.

So please don't ever throw away a sound screw orbolt or nut!
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Ditto on the BSF and Whitworth. Here in the States I've found that old pianos are quite often available for free. Some of the wood is quite nice, the fasteners are usually either hand cut or at least machine cut threads (not rolled), the ivory is salvageable for art projects and the harps make great (if heavy) garden gates and trellises.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Z. View Post
    On my project list:
    4246136116_68f0df28c5_o.jpg
    Das ist ausgezeichnet sehr! Alle Schubladen kommen zu einem Punkt!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 04-24-2018 at 08:08 PM.

My shop would never see it! My wife would fill it with herbs/spices!
    Beautiful. Out of an old hardware store?

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    You guys are all pathetic. But so am I. My boxes and drawers full of "stuff" make me shake my head with my own disbelief. Incredible. But the world shines every so often.... a buddy will come into the shop and ask if I have a something-or-other. I pause for a moment, check the inventory in my increasingly forgetful brain, and fetch it for him. Whenever this has happened my friend has been shocked in disbelief. I know he's thinking: "How is that possible? How can anyone actually find anything in here?" Then I spend the next 20 minutes looking for the tool I was just using when my friend came in. The tool that I set down absentmindedly on my way to greet him. If brains are cheese, then mine's Swiss.

Jeff
    I knew there was another me somewhere but suspected, until now, another planet. Greetings!

Rick