Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old fasteners

Default Re: Old fasteners

And have you ever noticed that if your boat shed is ever tidied up by you, or worse by some well meaning other, that it becomes nigh on impossible to function until proper chaos is restored...

It is a constant battle to keep the chaos. We built another shed for bikes and my daughters stuff. There is a small corner of the boat shed where my wife is allowed garden stuff. I also have to work hard to stop her wanting to move house, it is a careful balancing act of doing as little DIY as I can get away with

I'm starting to think the key may be in how they are sorted. I've usually tried to sort by type, i.e., wood screws, metal screws, hex bolts, lag bolts, carriage bolts, nuts, washers, etc. I'm wondering if other sorting categories might make more sense, like sort by size. One bin for 1/4" length and smaller, another for 1/4" to 1", one for 1" to 4", or something. Not sure that is any better. But it should somehow correlate with what you think of when you need something. Do you think, "I need a screw."? Or do you think, "I need something about an inch long to hold this together."? Or should they be sorted by material? I don't know.

One thing I do know, is that I don't have much use for keeping nails anymore. I have pneumatic nailers all the way from 24 ga pin nailers to 20d framing nailers. I most often reach for the 18 ga brad nailer. Failing that, it's reach for the screw gun and a drywall screw. Been a long time since I drove a nail with a hammer.

Sheetrock screws (especially coated ones) are my goto fastener on anything around the house that 20 years ago I would've nailed. Yep - more expensive than a nail, but they hold better & are far easier to remove. Brads & the like are, of course, a different story - though the new small head star drive screws disappear surprisingly well.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

However you sort them, a good idea is to have a pan to dump them in. Makes finding what you want much easier and when finished, tip the pan back up into the jar, box, etc.

That is a Rockler 37081 Easy Sorter Funnel Tray

$4 US $27UK

if anyone one this forum can’t build their own in a 10 mins then shame on you

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post

$4 US $27UK

Thats some exchange rate!

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post

$4 US $27UK

It’s a picture to demonstrate the idea. I didn’t say you had to buy one. But if you want to spend $27, I’ll ship you as many as you want. And just pay a separate unnamed special handling fee, and I’ll send you the second one free.

I use a large flat tray made from alum roof flashing. It has an outlet in one corner similar to that shown in #41.

I use whatever is handy, probably should find a good permanent one. I think I will make one like the Rockler one and store in with the mess of odd fasteners/

That was a quick look up on Amazon - just found it on Rockler for $2 - I’ll be shipping some the the US. There are a lot of people making serious money with big markups on Amazon Market Place. Even at $2 I’ll still make my own

Rockler have some very nice kit but obviously it is in imperial, would love to find a metric equivalent of their insty drive

http://www.rockler.com/insty-drive-d...it-adapter-set

Talking tools was my Birthday yesterday- you all wished me happy birthday so thanks - more clamps - happy days

Surely a sorting tray of the very best variety is the one made from off cuts and old fasteners... could even have a pouring spout made from that nameless bit of junk (treasure) that has been cluttering the corner of the shed since oh, way back when your Dad thought the T model was the latest tech.

I smell a virtual competition- build your own sorting try out the most obscure ‘treasure’ you can find.

Back in the old days before everything got green and segregated you could rummage around the public tip (dump? - regional variation?) and my dad would bring home more than he took there.

He also once was collared by the police for REMOVING old bricks that someone had fly tipped at the side of the road- he wanted it for hard core

Surely someone as encountered frustration when rummaging in THE BLOODY BOXES for six of a particular size there are only five.

Of course that calls for a cup of coffee, then another determined assault on THOSE ******* BOXES.