Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: The end stages of the Trump Presidency

Default Re: The end stages of the Trump Presidency

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    I dont feel safe talking to the FBI or any other govermeant official without a lawyer, I dont feel safe talking to my lawyer, Pastor, or Doctor,.
    Mueller has turned the country up side down in a quest to get trump.
    It's a good thing you don't look like you could be Mexican. You're still free (for now!) to stand next to Sheriff Joe without proving your birth certificate isn't a fake. We all know at this point you born in the Falklands.

Big scary times for little ol' bobbys.

Black Lives Matter? Australia? Are you on the right thread?

Oh, it's you.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    OK so far...

... and now you go over the top. I simply do not believe you.

Mueller has followed proper legal procedure every step of the way in his investigation.
    And he only continued with the approval of the Deputy (Assist) Att Gen. By the way bobbys, both are Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    We all know at this point you were born in the Falklands.
    No, the Falkland islanders are more British than the British (Oh, sorry, la gente de las Islas Malvinas.) He's obviously an Argentine. That explains his spelling, too.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 04-16-2018 at 04:22 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Russian cyber attacks have increased by 2000% since the missile strike, thousands of false rumours and conspiracies being disseminated.
    Why are any of us bothering with bobbys, SB, etc at all?

Why are any of us bothering with bobbys, SB, etc at all?
    It's just fun to mess with bots.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

It's like picking at a scab.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    It's like picking at a scab.
    more like scratching your crotch as a dude. somehow you have to, it's not polite, you don't want to in public, .... but you do.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    It's a good thing you don't look like you could be Mexican. You're still free (for now!) to stand next to Sheriff Joe without proving your birth certificate isn't a fake. We all know at this point you born in the Falklands.

Big scary times for little ol' bobbys.
    I cannot be a bot from russia and a mexican born in the falklands and a gop spy and davidg at the same time..

Geez!

Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours Bobby.

You can DO it dude, I have faith in you!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    No, the Falkland islanders are more British than the British (Oh, sorry, la gente de las Islas Malvinas.) He's obviously an Argentine. That explains his spelling, too.
    My spelling?.

Say , is this sister bernard from st pauls grammy school?..

She did like me though.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys
    I cannot be a bot from russia and a mexican born in the falklands and a gop spy and davidg at the same time..

Geez!
    Or someone with the name of "bobbys," for that matter.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

"OK. Fine. So he exaggerated a little on that."

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours Bobby.

You can DO it dude, I have faith in you!
    Thanks, i do like most of my imaginary friends here..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Or someone with the name of "bobbys," for that matter.
    Only brian has ever seen me, he did try and steal my sarah palin calendar though, so dont believe him.

So you are admitting your real name is not "bobbys."

You exult in the freedom of your anonymity.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

"OK. Fine. So he exaggerated a little on that."

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post

Geez!
    We know you can do it, bobbys!

Well this spells it out pretty clearly:

Trump Should Be Worried by Cohen Probe. Really Worried.

Make no mistake: The presidency of Donald Trump has hit a major inflection point with the investigation of his personal lawyer Michael Cohen by federal prosecutors in the Southern District of New York.

Until now, Trump personally was in jeopardy only if special counsel Robert Muellerís team in Washington finds evidence that he knew about collusion between his campaign and Russia in the 2016 election. Even if that happens, there might not be enough to justify impeachment or a subsequent criminal charge of Trump. The president also has the power to fire Mueller to try to shut down the investigation, especially if he thinks Mueller is going beyond the terms of his appointment to investigate Russia.

Now, however, the Southern District can investigate potential Trump crimes in any area connected to Cohen, a fixer who is known to have arranged payoffs to an adult film star who says she had an affair with Trump. These prosecutors can go back as far as they want before the election, not to mention during and after it.

And thereís essentially nothing Trump can do about it. He canít fire the career civil servant prosecutors who are now on the job. And practically, he canít order the Southern District to stop investigating him, because such an order would likely be construed by the prosecutors there as a criminal obstruction of justice.

The upshot is that if itís accurate, as it has been reported, that Trump is more worried about the Cohen investigation than the Mueller one, heís not wrong.
    The Southern District team canít bring Trump to trial while he is president. But if it finds evidence of felonies involving Trump, the team could name him as an unindicted co-conspirator in charges against Cohen. That would tell the world that the president is a crook. It would put substantial pressure on Congress to impeach Trump. And, after Trumpís presidency ends, whether at the end of his term or before, a criminal prosecution could await. The prospect of a trial would loom over whatever time in the presidency he has left....

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...the-presidency

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Well this spells it out pretty clearly:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...the-presidency
    Yes. And like Rachel Maddow, twice.

I wish column inch requirements weren't so stupid.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

#87.
    Re the link Steven, maybe Donald will try to strike one of his deals, I'll resign if you let me off the hook.

Ed to say: But I reckon his ego would get in the way.

I do think we underestimate the man however. What he's doing is quite deliberate, attempting to remodel the US State to suit basically himself.
    He may just stay the course, he has the ego and the motivation, and he's assuming more powers as he goes with the compliance of the party he took over. He may just crash through because whatever restrictions are placed on Presidential Powers they do not seem very effective.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 04-17-2018 at 02:02 AM.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

He probably thinks he can pardon himself.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    He probably thinks he can pardon himself.
    And on that he may well think so, and attempt it, and who will gainstay him? Certainly not the shell of the old republican party.

End stages? Maybe not. From the New Republic. (Source)

We Are (Probably) Not in the “End Stages” of Trump’s Presidency
    He's in more legal trouble than ever, but political trouble? Less so.
    By Jeet Heer
    April 16, 2018

The media has been imagining Donald Trump’s downfall since the moment he announced his candidacy in 2015. During the 2016 campaign, these daydreams and predictions took many forms: Trump would be undone by his racism, or his sexism, or his political inexperience, or his policy ignorance, or the Access Hollywood tape. After Trump defeated Hillary Clinton, the media spun scenarios in which state-level recounts overturned the result, or the Electoral College revolted against him. And if Trump somehow survived until Inauguration Day? Then perhaps the 25th Amendment would topple him.

For more than a year now, though, the expectation of a foreshortened presidency has been driven largely by special counsel Robert Mueller’s inquiry into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia. Every new development is treated like a bombshell, collapsing the distinction between routine investigative procedure and legitimate revelations. The public could not be faulted for assuming that Mueller’s conclusions, whenever he comes to them and releases them to the public, will mark the beginning of the end for Trump—that it’s only a matter of when, not if, he leaves the White House prematurely.

And yet, there remains no publicly available evidence that Trump colluded with Russia to defeat Clinton in 2016. Mueller may have such evidence, but it’s just as likely—if not more so—that he does not. His investigation could yield other conclusions, such as Trump’s obstruction of justice in firing FBI Director James Comey, but it’s not clear that Congress would find them sufficient to warrant removing Trump from office. In other words, Mueller may well not be Trump’s downfall, either.

Perhaps that’s why some journalists are reading so deeply into the news last week that the FBI had raided the office and hotel room of Michael Cohen, a longtime Trump attorney and fixer, seizing documents, emails, and even audio recordings. (Federal prosecutors obtained the warrant after a referral from Mueller, but the raid is not part of his investigation.) “This is the week we know, with increasing certainty, that we are entering the last phase of the Trump Presidency,” The New Yorker’s Adam Davidson wrote in a widely praised column on Saturday. “This doesn’t feel like a prophecy; it feels like a simple statement of the apparent truth.”

Davidson sees reason for skepticism about the Russian collusion narrative. “It seems not at all Trumpian to participate in a complex plan with a long-term, uncertain payoff,” he wrote. “We may have a hard time finding out what President Trump himself knew and approved.” But he is much more bullish on investigations into the Trump Organization. “I am unaware of anybody who has taken a serious look at Trump’s business who doesn’t believe that there is a high likelihood of rampant criminality.”

Davidson lists myriad examples of Trump’s shady business deals and depicts his company as a giant public relations scam. Because Cohen is so close to Trump, the argument goes, the raid will reveal the truth about the Trump Organization to the public.

“The narrative that will become widely understood is that Donald Trump did not sit atop a global empire,” Davidson wrote. “He was not an intuitive genius and tough guy who created billions of dollars of wealth through fearlessness. He had a small, sad global operation, mostly run by his two oldest children and Michael Cohen, a lousy lawyer who barely keeps up the pretenses of lawyering and who now faces an avalanche of charges, from taxicab-backed bank fraud to money laundering and campaign-finance violations.”

Davidson’s case rests on a premise that’s hard to dispute: Trump’s finances, by all serious reports, are already shown to be suspicious and are likely to look much worse as they come under legal scrutiny. And Davidson convincingly shows that Trump is in much more legal jeopardy now than he was even a week ago. No wonder his article won many plaudits from liberals:

(Overconfident Tweets here)

But Davidson is premature in arguing that, as he put it, “We are now in the end stages of the Trump Presidency.” For one thing, Davidson overstates Cohen’s role in the Trump Organization. As Bloomberg’s Timothy L. O’Brien points out, “Cohen has never run the company in a significant way.” Other figures, notably former Trump lawyer Jason Greenblatt and Trump Organization chief financial officer Allen Weisselberg, are far more important in the Trump Organization chain of command.

“Cohen certainly remains a vulnerability for Trump, especially in the context of Mueller’s investigation of quid pro quos between the Trump team and the Kremlin,” O’Brien wrote. “But Cohen still isn’t the biggest catch from within the Trump Organization, and Trump’s international deals may wind up being less threatening, legally, than some of his domestic transactions. All of which means that the investigation may require far more time to progress and reveal itself than the media and other observers think—even if recent events make it feel like the end is near.”

Moreover, Trump’s legal troubles won’t necessarily translate into political setbacks. The House of Representatives has the power to impeach the president, by a simple majority vote, and that’s highly unlikely as long as Republicans control it. If Democrats retake the chamber in the fall midterm elections, they may well vote to impeach Trump. But the trial to remove the president occurs in the Senate, and requires a two-thirds majority. Even if the Republicans lose the Senate this fall—and they’re not expected to—the Democrats will not have the enough votes among themselves to convict Trump.

The many scandals surrounding Trump don’t seem to be shaking his support with the GOP base. Trump’s approval ratings remains remarkably steady, with the vast majority of Republicans still on his side: According to a recent NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, Trump has the approval of 79 percent of Republicans. And as long as he has such popularity among Republican voters, GOP politicians are unlikely to hold Trump accountable no matter what Mueller or other law enforcement officials find.

Indeed, as Brian Beutler argues in Crooked Media, Trump’s worsening legal situation may lead him to act like a mob boss, drawing Republican officials and his supporters closer to him.

“He will extort support from the ranks of Republican officialdom, which may already be too tainted by allegiance to Trump to credibly sever ties with its criminal leader,” Beutler wrote. “Most corrosively, he will conscript more and more of his supporters into the ethical netherworld of Trumpism, convincing millions of Americans to scoff at ethics and law, and serve instead as a human-political shield around him, so that he can’t be removed from office. This process would serve to normalize his gangster ethic across large swaths of the country, among a radicalized pro-Trump cohort that will be around to poison civic life in America long after Trump has exited the stage.”

One of the key lessons of the Trump era is that partisan loyalty and personality cults can convince so many Americans—politicians and voters alike—to accept racism, misogyny, and corruption. The legal system has instruments to wound Trump, but the deeper crisis is a political system that empowered Trump in the first place. The only solution to that problem is political: defeating Trump and the Republicans at the ballot box.

Even Davidson, in tweets after his piece was published, allowed that Trump might win re-election. “I feel highly confident that more people will be indicted, prosecuted, and more fairly irrefutable evidence will emerge. It will also reframe the things we already have reported. I have no idea if this process takes 3 months or 3 years,” he wrote. “I don’t know if Trump will be impeached. I find it highly unlikely he’d win reelection but he might. That being said, I think that he is already in something of a lame duck phase. His presidency is, already, in some ways, over.”

It’s hard to see how we are at the end stages of the Trump presidency if, as Davidson allows, he could be in office for another three or even six years.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman