Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The end stages of the Trump Presidency

Default The end stages of the Trump Presidency

Won't be long now:

Adam Davidson: “This is the week we know, with increasing certainty, that we are entering the last phase of the Trump Presidency. This doesn’t feel like a prophecy; it feels like a simple statement of the apparent truth. I know dozens of reporters and other investigators who have studied Donald Trump and his business and political ties. Some have been skeptical of the idea that President Trump himself knowingly colluded with Russian officials. It seems not at all Trumpian to participate in a complex plan with a long-term, uncertain payoff.”

“However, I am unaware of anybody who has taken a serious look at Trump’s business who doesn’t believe that there is a high likelihood of rampant criminality.”

“Of course Trump is raging and furious and terrified. Prosecutors are now looking at his core. Cohen was the key intermediary between the Trump family and its partners around the world; he was chief consigliere and dealmaker throughout its period of expansion into global partnerships with sketchy oligarchs. He wasn’t a slick politico who showed up for a few months. He knows everything, he recorded much of it, and now prosecutors will know it, too. It seems inevitable that much will be made public. We don’t know when. We don’t know the precise path the next few months will take. There will be resistance and denial and counterattacks. But it seems likely that, when we look back on this week, we will see it as a turning point. We are now in the end stages of the Trump Presidency.”
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: The end stages of the Trump Presidency

We can only hope.

The question is: do we want this presidency* to end now or in a year or so? We certainly don't want Pence in there for too long, settling himself into the Oval Office to the point where people get used to a bland white bread president, shrug their shoulders and vote for him in 2020 simply because he's the incumbent.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    We can only hope.

The question is: do we want this presidency* to end now or in a year or so? We certainly don't want Pence in there for too long, settling himself into the Oval Office to the point where people get used to a bland white bread president, shrug their shoulders and vote for him in 2020 simply because he's the incumbent.
    Not much we can do about it. However, if Trump resigns or is impeached, and control of Congress switches sides, Pence will be the lamest of ducks until 2020.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

I'm not sure that Pence can attract voters in a general election. Or, maybe that's just my hope.

I worry more about the harm he will do without being overtly corrupt and attracting the same type of attention that is bringing Trump down.

The civilized people who founded this country, and those whose purpose has been to sustain that civilization, recognize that the method for selecting, or removing a president, is through election.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    The civilized people who founded this country, and those whose purpose has been to sustain that civilization, recognize that the method for selecting, or removing a president, is through election.
    And who voted in 1789 mdh?

My fear is he gets one more supreme Court Justice before he leaves and abortion becomes illegal, we need the house and Senate in September.

And impeachment. Article II, section 4
    Elect a clown expect a circus

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Section 4

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    And impeachment. Article II, section 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Section 4

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.
    The civilized people of the USA, and even a few of us foreign chaps, know this.
    It’s really hard to define ‘virtue signalling’, as I was saying the other day to some of my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop. (Lucy Porter 2018)

Funny our libs tell us mueller is fair and honest then turn around and give us a outcome that derails trump..

So much for any facts..

Libs will have Trump on trial for being a playboy and being rich..

Sore losers, losing.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Funny our libs tell us mueller is fair and honest then turn around and give us a outcome that derails trump..

So much for any facts..

Sore losers, losing.
    You don't believe in facts, what do you care?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post

So much for any facts..

Sore losers, losing.
    Let me know when he finds a lawyer willing to work for him.

Watched "The Post last night, so many similarities.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Under most circumstances, I agree completely. But there are cases in which either the incompetence or malfeasance (or both) of a president rises to the level that removing him from office is the least bad option, and the constitution provides for that.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I think it’s fair to say Trump will be gone before long. But we need to prepare for the next phase now. Pence must be defanged early. We need big power in Congress so that Pence cannot push any of his extremist religious views onto this country or we will truly descend to a third world theocracy.

See
    my
    signature
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith
    I'm not sure that Pence can attract voters in a general election. Or, maybe that's just my hope.
    He is unpopular in his home state. The Indiana public got fed up with him as governor. Had Trump not selected him for VP he would have faded into private obscurity.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Truth is not the truth.
    Crimes are not crimes.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    He is unpopular in his home state. The Indiana public got fed up with him as governor. Had Trump not selected him for VP he would have faded into private obscurity.
    My opinion as well Tom.

I think Trump's going to be around for a while, unfortunately. Impeachment is possible if Democrats retake the House, although whether it's politically wise is another matter. Conviction in the Senate requires a 2/3 majority, and even if Democrats have more than 50 seats, it seems vanishingly unlikely under current circumstances.

But if significant numbers of Republicans start to turn against him, that would seal his fate. I think there are a lot of them waiting and hoping for that tipping point in order to save their careers and their party, but it haven't happened yet. If clear evidence of criminality comes out, it could happen pretty quickly.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    See
    my
    signature
    Of course you and I will do that, but we may need to put out more effort into get out the vote, and fighting Republican voting roadblock shenanigans for instance.

Someone else said it some time ago, "Pence is an empty suit". Any of the Trump Cabinet he replaces would likely be church leaders from Indiana.

I think that tipping point is nigh and the republicans that are calling for legislation to protect the Mueller investigation will lead the way. After finding out both Trump and Cohen lied about Prague the writings on the wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I think Trump's going to be around for a while, unfortunately. Impeachment is possible if Democrats retake the House, although whether it's politically wise is another matter. Conviction in the Senate requires a 2/3 majority, and even if Democrats have more than 50 seats, it seems vanishingly unlikely under current circumstances.

But if significant numbers of Republicans start to turn against him, that would seal his fate. I think there are a lot of them waiting and hoping for that tipping point in order to save their careers and their party, but it haven't happened yet. If clear evidence of criminality comes out, it could happen pretty quickly.

Clear evidence of criminality, particularly if it includes clear evidence of knowledge of / collaboration with Russian hacking.

Otherwise, I agree with bobbys etc that he should not be impeached simply for being a horrible choice for potus. Buyers remorse is what elections are for.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Clear evidence of criminality, particularly if it includes clear evidence of knowledge of / collaboration with Russian hacking.

Otherwise, I agree with bobbys etc that he should not be impeached simply for being a horrible choice for potus. Buyers remorse is what elections are for.
    If that horrible choice is a collection of financial conflicts, criminality, obstruction of justice, lack of principles and destructive policies impeachment is fine by me.

As I say, clear evidence of criminality, absolutely. Especially if that criminality happened during the campaign and /or the Presidency itself. Including obstruction... of investigations into criminality occurring before that.

But simply for being a narcissistic pr#ck and an incompetent, malicious embarrassment? Nope. Actual crimes, unless he damages America even more than W managed.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Won't be long now:
    I'll believe this when the base turns on him. And no, a little bellyaching about him bombing Syria won't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I'll believe this when the base turns on him. And no, a little bellyaching about him bombing Syria won't do it.
    Croc tears. Bannonoids are rivals for the former role of the neo-cons, and so energetically slander them as war-profiteering Jews and worse.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I think it’s fair to say Trump will be gone before long. But we need to prepare for the next phase now. Pence must be defanged early. We need big power in Congress so that Pence cannot push any of his extremist religious views onto this country or we will truly descend to a third world theocracy.

Trump not religious enough for our liberal purtians.

Pence too religious..

Why dont you guys just come out and say it, you will try and take down any republican..

Stop with this holier then thou stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Croc tears. Bannonoids are rivals for the former role of the neo-cons, and so energetically slander them as war-profiteering Jews and worse.
    I read that in .....my struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    The more the DNC and media go after him for revenge and use his past life the more people will side with him.

People know when its unfair and resent the deep state .

People only know too well they have pasts and know raiding ones lawyers office is nazi tactics.

No the base is getting stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by RonP View Post
    I think that tipping point is nigh and the republicans that are calling for legislation to protect the Mueller investigation will lead the way. After finding out both Trump and Cohen lied about Prague the writings on the wall.
    And when this is proven wrong will you and the libs admit it was a coup or will you be on to something else..

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys
    People only know too well... raiding ones lawyers office is nazi tactics.

No the base is getting stronger.
    Your understanding of the legalities involved is cartoonish.

It certainly appears the base is getting stupider.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Truth is not the truth.
    Crimes are not crimes.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Bobbys has of late been using, like, almost whole sentences though to give him his due. Still needs to work on the joined up thinking perhaps.

I do not feel safe with Mr Trump as President of the USA.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT