Thread: Willy Harris Skiff/Boat

Question Willy Harris Skiff/Boat

New to the forum here, so please bear with me. I am looking for anyone who may have photos or information about a particular wooden boat design. The builder was a now deceased, Mr. Willy(ie) Harris. His shop was on Norwich Street in Brunswick, Georgia under a huge live oak. He built lots of small bateau type, glass over plywood skiffs on the Georgia Coast from the 60's up thru the 80's. He had several shapes and sizes. His boats were especially popular on the Altamaha river when I was a kid. The locals back then would fit a 14ft. Willy Harris Boat with a 40-60hp tiller and literally FLY up the Altamaha. As a wide eyed, poorly funded kid back then, I promised myself I would have one when I got older. Well, I am much older now and I have acquired 3 over the last 20 years. All 3 are stored in a barn, bottoms up, for patterns if nothing else. One has a soft transom, one is too short and stubby, and 1 is just worn slam out. I love all 3, but none of them are quite the dimensions I wanted. I want to build one for my 13 year old and would appreciate any input. Anyone who has a Willy Harris Boat, knows someone with one, has photos, or just wants to swap info or tales, please drop me a line. Just finished building a cypress "strip boat" with a friend and have the boat building itch right now. You folks have a great forum here. I have lurked and read for many years and finally said, what the heck, I'll try my hand at a Post. Many thanks, James

Default Re: Willy Harris Skiff/Boat

Quote Originally Posted by jfhobby3 View Post
    New to the forum here, so please bear with me. I am looking for anyone who may have photos or information about a particular wooden boat design. The builder was a now deceased, Mr. Willy(ie) Harris. His shop was on Norwich Street in Brunswick, Georgia under a huge live oak. He built lots of small bateau type, glass over plywood skiffs on the Georgia Coast from the 60's up thru the 80's. He had several shapes and sizes. His boats were especially popular on the Altamaha river when I was a kid. The locals back then would fit a 14ft. Willy Harris Boat with a 40-60hp tiller and literally FLY up the Altamaha. As a wide eyed, poorly funded kid back then, I promised myself I would have one when I got older. Well, I am much older now and I have acquired 3 over the last 20 years. All 3 are stored in a barn, bottoms up, for patterns if nothing else. One has a soft transom, one is too short and stubby, and 1 is just worn slam out. I love all 3, but none of them are quite the dimensions I wanted. I want to build one for my 13 year old and would appreciate any input. Anyone who has a Willy Harris Boat, knows someone with one, has photos, or just wants to swap info or tales, please drop me a line. Just finished building a cypress "strip boat" with a friend and have the boat building itch right now. You folks have a great forum here. I have lurked and read for many years and finally said, what the heck, I'll try my hand at a Post. Many thanks, James
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Pleas post photos of the three boats, your question will gain more traction with pictures.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.