Thread: Supertides Are Pushing All of Earth's Continents Together Once More

Default Supertides Are Pushing All of Earth's Continents Together Once More

Excerpt
    Earth's crust is made up of fractured slabs of rock, like a broken shell on an egg. These plates move around at speeds of about 5 centimetres (2 inches) per year - and eventually this movement brings all the continents together and form what is known as a supercontinent.

The last supercontinent on Earth was Pangaea, which existed between 300-180 million years ago.

This collection and dispersion of the continents is known as a supercontinent cycle, and the world now is 180 million years into the current cycle.

It is predicted that the next supercontinent will form in about 250 million years, when the Atlantic and Pacific oceans both close and a new ocean forms where the large Asian plate splits.

Because the plates move around, ocean basins change their shape and size. For example, the Atlantic is currently expanding at about the rate your fingernails grow (a couple of centimetres per year), whereas the Pacific is slowly closing.
    Supertides Are Pushing All of Earth's Continents Together Once More (ARTICLE LINK)

#include [std-disclaimer]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: Supertides Are Pushing All of Earth's Continents Together Once More

Australia is pushing north and rotating to the west, and quite quickly. It is reckoned the continent will eventually stick itself to China.
    "Australia is not quite where you think it is. The continent has shifted by 4.9 feet since the last adjustment was made to GPS coordinates in 1994, reports the New York Times."

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...inental-drift/

Our attachment to China in a political and trade sense will happen much earlier.

Continents are not pushed. Plates are pushed, and pulled.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Good. It’ll save on plane fares.

But I don't want to go to China…..

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Continents are not pushed. Plates are pushed, and pulled.
    The first paragraph:
    Earth's crust is made up of fractured slabs of rock, like a broken shell on an egg. These plates move around at speeds of about 5 centimetres (2 inches) per year - and eventually this movement brings all the continents together and form what is known as a supercontinent.

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

So many threats to investing in waterfront property.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

My main concern is that subduction will start along the Atlantic coast of North America and I will end up with a volcano in my back yard, not to mention the earthquakes.

Always with the NIMBY. Somebody has to have the volcanoes...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Real click bait headline. Totally has the cart before the horse.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

It looks as though Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador will be the first to go.

Gros Morne is going to get a lot higher.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Thankfully, our species will have left it to the cockroaches to deal with.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

So I should build in some anchor points on the house?
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Have to be quite a bit more than code...

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Have to be quite a bit more than code...
    Code - ha! The only building code here is: "please try to stay 5' away from your property lines, if you knows where they is."
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpiefan View Post
    The first paragraph:

No it doesn't. The former super-continent was pushed and pulled apart. Maybe another will be formed, maybe not.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association