Thread: Herreshoff 14 Decked Rob Roy Canoe

Default Herreshoff 14 Decked Rob Roy Canoe

Do any plans exist for this design? Or is there a close modern interpretation?

1930-Hereshoff-Decked-Canoe.jpgLFH Rob Roy001.jpgyacht-designer-francis-herreshoff-at-marblehead_l.jpg

Default Re: Herreshoff 14 Decked Rob Roy Canoe

Yep - Harry Bryan Fiddlehead. I have the 12' version built by Forumite Dmede.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ehead-14-Canoe

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I think Harry Bryan’s Fiddlehead is similar to LFH’s flat bottomed decked canoe. Not his round bottomed Rob Roy type in post #1. LFH’s Rob Roy is pretty narrow and has a shallow full keel. You don’t see those keels much now, the beam is kayak size. I really like those lines, and would like to paddle one one day. I like the soft bilge, slight beam, and flared bow. I bet he liked the flared bow, as he wrote about paddling about in cold weather, in his wool suit. As to current designs similar, Ian Oughted has a couple that are somewhat close.
    http://www.oughtredboats.com/

1C610400-2309-4174-89AE-73C74CF843E3.jpeg
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

There's one of those LFH double paddle canoes in the Mystic Seaport Collection. They might have plans for it, but as far as I know Bror Tamm, good friend of LFH and a fine boat builder would build some of LFH's client's and personal boats and could have built from the lines alone, as would LFH himself. I visited LFH's Marblehead home some decades ago and looked for construction plans for that design but found none.
    LFH DP Canoes.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxenro View Post
    Do any plans exist for this design? Or is there a close modern interpretation?

1930-Hereshoff-Decked-Canoe.jpgLFH Rob Roy001.jpgyacht-designer-francis-herreshoff-at-marblehead_l.jpg
    "And so the seasons went rolling on into summer, as one rambles into higher and higher grass." Thoreau, "Walden"

I thought LFH mentioned that the plans were in Rudder? It's just a vague memory from reading his letters on the Mystic Seaport site.

I think Mystic does have the plans.

Thank you for all the answers it appears plans were published in the September 1947 issue of Rudder and are at Mystic both of a similar 16 footer.

Looking around I came across the designs of Thomas Hill which look really similar just needing a deck added. This is his Charlotte but the Atwood Traveller looks the same and at 15' would be about perfect. I am ordering his plans, the Mystic plans, and Herreshoff's book which I understand has details of his seat design and other things
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd be interested to know if the plans available are more than the lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    I think Mystic does have the plans.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 04-15-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    "And so the seasons went rolling on into summer, as one rambles into higher and higher grass." Thoreau, "Walden"

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I'd be interested to know if the plans available are more than the lines.
    I was just going write essentially this. Please let us know. And sounds like you are headed in a good direction.
    -The Dude-

23 sheets although a few are seats and paddles

http://mobius.mysticseaport.org/deta...ated&kv=207617
    Last edited by jaxenro; 04-15-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Is anyone here familiar with Mr Hills designs. I want to build basically the smallest version I can that is still comfortable I am about 5’8” and 200 pounds. All I really plan on doing is going for a morning or evening paddle for an hour or two in placid waters nothing choppy or drastic no need to carry more than s jacket and a soda or so

woukd the Charlotte Work for me?

Is anyone here familiar with Mr Hills designs. I want to build basically the smallest version I can that is still comfortable I am about 58 and 200 pounds. All I really plan on doing is going for a morning or evening paddle for an hour or two in placid waters nothing choppy or drastic no need to carry more than s jacket and a soda or so

Im 180pounds and 5 10 I designed and built a 12 x 30 open canoe along the lines a Rob Roy. It as a great size, light and gets used a lot because it is quick to get on the roof and to the local river. I have no issues with stability and hadnt canoed for 35 years when I got in it for the first time

Many desigers have their versions you just need to decide if you want quick stitch and glue, lapstrake plywood of a kit

cant recommend it enough

FWIW, the LFH Design #57 plans at Mystic, in "Sensible Yacht Designs" and in the Sept., 1947 Rudder magazine are NOT for the round-bottomed double paddle canoe. They are for the 16' dory style flat-bottomed dp canoe mentioned in post #3 and shown as 'Sprig' in the photo in post #4.

Thanks will probably buy them anyway for the seats and details but that’s good to know

Rob Roy inspired- or ish anyway

http://www.oughtredboats.com/. - Wee Rob and MacGregor

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/...canoe-kit.html. Sassafras 12

https://www.bearmountainboats.com/co...s/rob-roy-solo Rob Roy solo

http://www.selway-fisher.com/Opcan15.htm Kate

Or as you say Tom Hills Charlotte

All of these will get you for a quick morning paddle if that is your goal, as I said above it is all down to how much work you want to do.

This should answer everyone’s question.

She's been on my 'to build' list for 40 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nedL; 04-16-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    This should answer everyone’s question.
    Rob Pittaway's drafting is not of the Herreshoff double paddle canoe, but it will be useful for construction details.

I've a few Charlottes. It should work for what you are planning to use it for. I did vary from the plans in that I purchased an Old Town cane seat and fitted it to the floor. Keeps your butt dry. Light, double paddle canoe. Not easy to board or disembark but fairly stable once you are in it.

Is anyone here familiar with Mr Hills designs. I want to build basically the smallest version I can that is still comfortable I am about 5’8” and 200 pounds. All I really plan on doing is going for a morning or evening paddle for an hour or two in placid waters nothing choppy or drastic no need to carry more than s jacket and a soda or so

The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    FWIW, the LFH Design #57 plans at Mystic, in "Sensible Yacht Designs" and in the Sept., 1947 Rudder magazine are NOT for the round-bottomed double paddle canoe. They are for the 16' dory style flat-bottomed dp canoe mentioned in post #3 and shown as 'Sprig' in the photo in post #4.
    Yes that is right #57 is his flatbottomed canoe, it is a good one too, the drafting is really nice though and as you said you will get the seat plans. One of the plan pages for #57 is below, from “Sensible Cruising Designs”. And yup, the Pittaway is not LFH’s Rob Roy, no rocker or flare. The Charlotte will be fine for you. I like a little more length and would go for the Atwood Traveller at 15’ long, 39 pounds, and still narrow. I think LFH got the length right at 14.5’ for his Rob Roy, for a short canoe. The good thing with Hill design, if you follow the instructions you will get a light weight boat. If storing a 15’ canoe is an issue for you, then go with the 11.5’

AFC196F7-466B-495C-AAA1-17101971902E.jpg

The Atwood Traveller

1714A78C-76E9-47C2-9BD8-6E6B9D066DE3.jpg
    Last edited by Matt young; 04-18-2018 at 06:24 AM.
    -The Dude-

Yes I was looking at the Atwood also trying to decide between them

For anyone over 200lbs I highly recommend the larger double-paddle designs -- those guys back in the day were skinny little runts! <-- irony

I find the Fiddlehead to be very tender, particularly when entering & exiting in the water. This is in comparison to 14-15' touring canoes, but a 13' river kayak that I tried was also dangerously tippy. YMMV
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Thank you that is what I was looking for as well

I am leaning towards the Atwood at 15’ and adding a deck per the original photo

There is just something about that white decked design with the cane seat that just looks right

Atwood looks nice and at 15&rsquo; x 28&rdquo; with work well with a double paddle. You have opened up a whole new can of worms with the seat though.

I use a commercially available sit on top seat in my 12&rsquo; x 30&rdquo; and found that after an hour of paddling it became uncomfortable and so have added very specific and well researched extra padding. People make some very fabulous seats out there and I am sure they could be adapted to cane construction.

The Herreshoff book has some details of his seat.

The two main design areas that require consideration are
    1) relieve pressure for the sitting bones - think of a tractor seat - easy to design to your exact anatomy
    2) good lumber support, I used anthropometric data for car seats with adjustment to my exact shape.

Not very detailed but some pictures here

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com/2017/07/30/comfi-bum/

I am sure with a bit of research and design a comfortable seat with the aesthetics you require is possible.

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com
    http://proasail.blogspot.co.uk
    What I get up to
    https://youtu.be/X9NZEyvpb_Y Streaker dinghy
    https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ Sail Canoe
    https://youtu.be/eW078PPgJak Proa

I like the upper right and bottom left seats do you know where they are from?

seems like this was an active thread these little boats must be popular to a degree

I like the upper right and bottom left seats do you know where they are from?

seems like this was an active thread these little boats must be popular to a degree
    From an internet research months ago just google ‘folding cane canoe seat’ and view images and loads come up

On page 245 of sensible cruising designs is a whitewater racing canoe deign 101 with lines Mystic has these
    Last edited by jaxenro; 04-23-2018 at 09:23 AM.