Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Missiles away

Default Missiles away

They're there by now.

President Trump ordered a military attack against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Friday, joining allies Britain and France in launching missile strikes in retaliation for what Western nations said was the deliberate gassing of Syrian civilians.

The coordinated strike marked the second time in a year that Trump has used force against Assad, who U.S. officials believe has continued to test the West’s willingness to accept gruesome chemical attacks.

Trump announced the strikes in an address to the nation Friday evening. “The purpose of our action tonight is to establish a strong deterrent,” he said, against the production and use of chemical weapons, describing the issue as vital to national security. Trump added that the United States is prepared “to sustain this response” until its aims are met.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Default Re: Missiles away

Briefing in about half an hour.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Hit chemical weapon and research buildings. Also chemical storage areas. No word on how they hit chemical weapon storage sites without releasing poisonous gas.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

For all our sakes, let's hope no stray missiles smashed Russian troops.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

now what?
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    now what?

Duck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Oh hell.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

It's a bad decision.

Theresa May, Neocon it-girl of the moment, has been quoted as saying "there was no alternate course."

And yet, for every other country in the world besides the US, Britain, and France, there is an alternate course.

13 shot down by Syrian defences. Wonder how many in total were fired? Not that the # really matters as the effluent has already hit the rotary ossilator.

Now? Formulate a strategy for what to do next.

Oh wait!
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Donald has his distraction.

Syria is Obama's one great international failure. Early on, a cruise missile through Assad's bedroom window would have resolved a lot.

There are no good choices left in Syria. All that remains is the one that causes the least amount of blowback. I have no clue what that may be, being a far away civilian. All I know is, I do not trust our current president to identify and seek out that choice.

Meanwhile, Russia has been humiliated, as they had threatened to take out any missiles and even their carriers. I don't freaking think so. Syria claims to have downed 13 cruise missiles. Maybe they did; maybe they didn't.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    It's a bad decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Syria is Obama's one great international failure. Early on, a cruise missile through Assad's bedroom window would have resolved a lot.

There are no good choices left in Syria. All that remains is the one that causes the least amount of blowback. I have no clue what that may be, being a far away civilian. All I know is, I do not trust our current president to identify and seek out that choice.

Meanwhile, Russia has been humiliated, as they had threatened to take out any missiles and even their carriers. I don't freaking think so. Syria claims to have downed 13 cruise missiles. Maybe they did; maybe they didn't.
    Interesting how the left and right are split on this. I agree with SB, a bad decision. It is a violation of international law, and there is no immediate threat that would justify the president's use of his Constitutional powers, as Mike Pompeo has admitted.
    Last edited by SMARTINSEN; 04-13-2018 at 11:44 PM.
    Steve Martinsen

If the results are bad, it will be the fault of France or the UK.
    Вещи меняются 6 ноября.

It's very upsetting to those who had hoped that this kind of reflex interventionism had ended. It also represents an awful extension of executive power, with no civilian audit.

I think this is the first significant foreign policy mistake of the Trump administration. There are many in his base that are very upset about this. Our enemies have also learned that this President can be made to reverse himself completely if some people are gassed.

It's like swatting a few flies when you've got a dead horse in the backyard.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

"America First" my @$$. This thing reeks of the swamp.

MIC First, with a dollop of Me First mixed in. So easily manipulated. Pathetic, and quite likely tragic for a great many human beings.

A poll had 80% of British opposed to bombing Syria.
    I wonder how long May can afford to go against public opinion and risk being viewed as Trump's poodle.

There is no proof of responsibility for the chemical attack. There has been no investigation. Elite media is not demanding the production of evidence. And the US executive, with two allied countries, has just attacked another nation with missiles.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    A poll had 80% of British opposed to bombing Syria.
    I wonder how long May can afford to go against public opinion and risk being viewed as Trump's poodle.
    That woman, along with Boris, have absolutely no connection with the British public.

Bombing the sites that inspectors of the OPCW would have been looking at today.........why would you do that?

Trump has managed to distract attention away from the new book by Comey, but at what cost?

Pardon, Syria is a sovereign nation subject to international law, not the rambling of some deluded narcissistic moron with delusions of garandeur (intental pun).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post

It's a bad decision.
    Oh. My. God. Trump is in for it now. If he’s lost even the likes of Skyblue, then maybe this really is the beginning of the end for him.

Doesn’t Pless live in Hell still? Could someone PM him and find out if it’s frozen over? I always hoped this would happen some day. . .

SB: "It also represents an awful extension of executive power, with no civilian audit."
    It seems to me that power was always there, but past Presidents knew where to stop. The Emperor Donald does not, and will not.

Ska.: "
    Bombing the sites that inspectors of the OPCW would have been looking at today.........why would you do that?"
    Well, destroying evidence maybe but the Syrians had had some time to remove it anyhow.

Of course it's likely that the attack is not legal, but then neither is the use of poison gas.

and Purri, Syria is a Russian dependency more or less. Assad only stays at Putin's pleasure.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

SB has spoken, now I wait with baited breath for boobys to weigh in with his in depth analysis.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Sooooo, are we in a proxy war with Russia now?
    The Russians were notified in advance, this was strictly a courtesy bombing, like Bill Clinton and the asprin factory, so probably not. Poot is still BBF.
    Steve Martinsen

It is being reported that Syrian air defences destroyed 71 of 103 missiles.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    SB:

Ska.: "
    Bombing the sites that inspectors of the OPCW would have been looking at today.........why would you do that?"
    Well, destroying evidence maybe but the Syrians had had some time to remove it anyhow.

Of course it's likely that the attack is not legal, but then neither is the use of poison gas.

If, as Terrorist May suggests that UK targeted chemical weapon labs and storage. had the government under their legal obligations, informed the OPCW when they had the intelligence? How is bombing a chemical stockpile (it it exisited), how is that healthy for any civilians in the area?

Seems a few Congress people are upset with the Don for what they see as an illegal strike without Congress approval. Hows it to live in a dictatorship?

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    It is being reported that Syrian air defences destroyed 71 of 103 missiles.
    I saw the US said there were 59 missiles. At $832,000 each that’s almost $50,000,000

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Not sure how that works unless this is all an act.
    They have de-confliction hotlines. With many of the missiles being shot down, hard to know what the intended targets might have been.

A usefull excercise to see what works and how effective defenses are, analysts will be working overtime today.

A fifty million dollar show.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I saw the US said there were 59 missiles. At $832,000 each that’s almost $50,000,000
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    A fifty million dollar show.
    The 59 number was from last year’s strike. This time it was at least double that many. So more like $100,000,000. Twelve of those came from France, I don’t know how many came from Great Briton.

Theresa May, Neocon it-girl of the moment, has been quoted as saying "there was no alternate course."

And yet, for every other country in the world besides the US, Britain, and France, there is an alternate course.
    Weren't there people sent in to look for evidence of an actual chemical attack just a day or two before. Did they have enough time to determine if there was one before the missile attack?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ia-attack-site
    Will