Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you last use one of these?

Lightbulb When did you last use one of these?

1. 8" Floppy disk
    2. 3.5" Floppy disk
    3. Zip drive
    4. Dial up modem
    5. Tape drive (back up)
    6. Pager
    7. Payphone
    8. Betamax
    9. 8 Tracks Stereo
    10. Laser disk players
    11. VCR
    12. VHS
    13. DVD
    14. Cassette tape recorder
    15. Reel to reel tape recorder
    16. Home movie projector and “Super 8/8mm” Handheld Video Cameras
    17. Slide projector
    18. Disposable camera
    19. Polaroid Cameras
    20. Roll of film
    21. Record player and vinyl records
    22. Dot matrix (impact) printing
    23. Fountain pen (refilled from bottled ink).
    24. Boom Box.
    25. Transister radio (am)
    26. Analogue phone (rotary dial)
    27. Telex
    28. Sony Discman (played compact disks)
    29. ​Compact disks
    30. Portable televisions, such as Sony’s Watchman
    31. Personal Digital Assistants (PDA) e.g. Apple Newton etc
    32. Cathode ray tube TV
    33. Manual typewriter
    34. Electric typewriter

Not a complete list please add your own items to it.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Default Re: When did you last use one of these?

The pace at which technology becomes obsolete today is amazing.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

In the span of my Grandmother's life ( 97 ) She witnessed horses replaced by cars, to the moon landing, and everything in between. Fascinating speed we humans adapt.

The OP list is just a product list of Moore's law.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Transistor AM radio, yesterday.
    DVD, within the last few weeks.
    I've friends that play CDs and records daily, one of them still has a CRT TV.
    I see boom boxes being carried around quite often, and can I think of at least a half dozen payphones around town.
    Also, the instant camera is alive and well and being sold everywhere.
    Nosce te ipsum

I just scanned a 1912 photo of my grandfather going to work, earlier today

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I use DVDs fairly often, though I prefer Blu-Rays. Data discs are the only way I watch movies.

Ditto CDs; I buy all of my music on CD - preferably, straight from the artist - and rip it to our iTunes library so it's available on multiple devices. Data discs are the only way I buy music, and ripped CDs are the only way I listen to music aside from the occasional Youtube video. When I buy music I want a physical backup and liner notes.

My folks' slide projector is out on loan right now, so I just fired it up recently to check that it was working. Which reminds me, I need to get it back.

And I used my USB cassette deck recently to convert to digital format some original songs by a friend who died about twenty years ago.

What are you doing about it?

I do still have a few of those things including some records that I want to record onto CD. But I don't have many.

DVDs I still use regularly, CDs likewise, and I have a functional VCR (At least I think it still works). I still have a cassette deck attached to the stereo and a turntable for vinyl records, not because I'm retrotrendy but because it's old. I still use a boombox with cassettes in the shop/garage to play music while I'm working; I have a lot of music on the obnoxious things that I don't have anywhere else.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Funny story:

It was about 1994, I think. I was in the basement, going through a bag full of old memorabilia, when I came across an 8" floppy disk, from back in the days when I was using a PDP-11 to develop microprocessor code. By 1994, floppy disks were 5 1/4", not 8".

My younger daughter Stacey, who was about 12 at the time, came down to the basement, and laughed heartily at the sight of the floppy disk....

...she thought it was a 'gag' gift, you know, like those giant pencil erasers!
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

23. Fountain pen and bottled ink

A few minutes ago. It's in my pocket now. Earlier today I loaned it to a distinguished American friend, who remarked on it. I told him that it is 81 years old.

It's the second from the top, under the pencil. I got into the bad habit of collecting... this is the set of Parker Top Line Lockdown Vacumatics in Silver Pearl...

The second from the bottom is a genuine rarity, and is worth serious money. These were all made by the Parker Pen Company in Janesville, Ill., in 1936 and 1937, lathe turned from cellulose nitrate supplied by Dupont. To my mind, the zenith of the Parker Pen Company's output in terms of quality. The silver coloured nibs are palladium plated on 14 ct gold.

Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 04-13-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    23. Fountain pen and bottled ink

A few minutes ago. And earlier today I loaned it to a distinguished American friend, who remarked on it. I told him that it is 81 years old.
    What make? Parker? Watermans?

I recently wrote a letter to my teenage daughter with a fountain pen.

My hand writing is not that bad IF I take my time, which I did.

She showed it to her friend who apparently 'Loved my script'.
    I think she has kept all the letters I wrote to her.

I think I will write her another one today.

dvd's .
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Cassette player in my car, and DVD in the house, both used yesterday. That second player is dual DVD and VHS, though I rarely use the tape half of the machine. Like Andrew, I have a Parker fountain pen, but it doesn't get used often either.

I once typed a rather hefty graduate school thesis on a manual typewriter. Don't miss those days, though there is something fascinating about old typewriters. Love to have a Hermes 3000 manual portable...if I found one at a yard sale. Collectors have driven the prices I've seen on line through the roof!
    So many questions, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    What make? Parker? Watermans?

I recently wrote a letter to my teenage daughter with a fountain pen.

My hand writing is not that bad IF I take my time, which I did.

She showed it to her friend who apparently 'Loved my script'.
    I think she has kept all the letters I wrote to her.

I think I will write her another one today.
    I got interested in fountain pens when I tried to read my children's' handwriting, and reflected that examiners would struggle to do so, too...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I got interested in fountain pens when I tried to read my children's' handwriting, and reflected that examiners would struggle to do so, too...
    LOL I concur.

Seeing and reading beautifully-penned handwriting is one of life's small pleasures.

I cannot recollect using any of the items in the list in at least the last few years.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

If there is another cruising boat in the Caribbean who do not have an ob powered zode... we have not met them.

Until Amazon closed down "Lovefilm" recently I rented film DVDs every week. I still play music CDs and I even sell them quite successfully on eBay.

Of course vinyl records have had a huge comeback in the last couple of years, and that looks like continuing. There will shortly be HD vinyl discs on the market..
    http://www.completemusicupdate.com/a...y-summer-2019/
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

How about an anvil, rounding hammer, wolf jaw tongs. Or a peavy and pickeroon.
    PaulF

In the old floppies, what kept the surface of the disk from wearing off as it spinner inside it's envelope?

I think the magnetic oxide was inside, not on the surface. (But it turns out I'm wrong, it's a thin coating. The inside of the envelope was lined with dust-removing fabric, so presumably it's softer than the magnetic medium?)

I burn DVDs regularly for backup to my external drives. Yesterday I delivered mov files to a client on a data formatted DVD.

I buy all my music on CDs and put what I want of it on iTunes where I can listen and copy to my phone. The kind of music I listen to is still largely committed to CDs, especially because the info about the music consumes booklet space.

I also record music which I hear online and that gets backed up to DVDs.

A few days ago I picked up a DVD of scans of color print film which Fuji kindly, and not excessively expensively, made for me. Not very good scans, but not something that warranted doing myself. The folks in the photos had a field day on FB identifying themselves and their friends.

Yesterday I sent some b&w film out to Fuji to scan and burn to DVD.

The cassette player/recorder seems to have finally expired, unfortunately. More unfortunate is the enormous amount of time it would take to get my hundreds of cassettes of the Prairie Home Show transferred to digital format, especially since I really only want the Greg Brown and Peter Ostroushko songs, and a few of the newses. The LP player died years ago, and the receiver has some serious dirt in its pots and makes horrible crackling noises whenever I turn it on. There's no radio here anyway, and all the important LPs have been replaced with CDs years ago. I should start trying to get rid of the LPs on eBay howver.

It would be nice to find some gullible person who still needs the carousels for the slide projector. The screen is still hanging behind a work of art in the living room. I suppose most of that works still, but I scanned the slides a few years ago. The last film camera was stolen in Brazil from a friend of mine a few years ago. It was a very nice quality little Oly and saved my butt one day on assignment from the local paper.

Much to my amazement I found buyers for the slide mounts on eBay. Guy bought 1500 plastic slide mounts. Would have taken every one I had.

I gave the rotary phone to the local theater group to use as a prop.

A couple years ago I pulled the 8", 5.5" and 3.5" floppies apart and recycled the paper, plastic and metal parts. Ditto with the Zip cartridges, altho I think a few of them are still hiding in a drawer somewhere. The SCSI Zip drive is long gone.

30 years ago I bought some mailing labels on that shiny tan paper for the dot matrix printer. Must have invested in 5000 or so to mail out a monthly mailing of a newsletter. This year, finally, the organization which used to mail out the newsletter is folding up shop, but I'm still using up the last of the labels. Return address scribbled by hand. Down to 120 or so.

Still looking for a home for about 250 thin jewel boxes, however. Anybody need them?
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

We use DVD's frequently, but that's life with little kids.

I have a boom box zip-tied to the wall in the garage, used just as frequenty..... as an aux speaker for my phone.

I occasionally use fountain pens, but they're the cartridge type not the fill-from-bottle type.

Otherwise... that list is dead to me.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

I have 3 spindles of CDs which I have mistakenly purchased over the last two years - Gold Verbatims, too. I can't get rid of them. If anyone here wants to buy them I'd part with them for a reasonable price.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    1. 8" Floppy disk
    2. 3.5" Floppy disk
    3. Zip drive
    4. Dial up modem
    5. Tape drive (back up)
    6. Pager
    7. Payphone
    8. Betamax
    9. 8 Tracks Stereo
    10. Laser disk players
    11. VCR
    12. VHS
    13. DVD
    14. Cassette tape recorder
    15. Reel to reel tape recorder
    16. Home movie projector and “Super 8/8mm” Handheld Video Cameras
    17. Slide projector
    18. Disposable camera
    19. Polaroid Cameras
    20. Roll of film
    21. Record player and vinyl records
    22. Dot matrix (impact) printing
    23. Fountain pen (refilled from bottled ink).
    24. Boom Box.
    25. Transister radio (am)
    26. Analogue phone (rotary dial)
    27. Telex
    28. Sony Discman (played compact disks)
    29. ​Compact disks
    30. Portable televisions, such as Sony’s Watchman
    31. Personal Digital Assistants (PDA) e.g. Apple Newton etc
    32. Cathode ray tube TV
    33. Manual typewriter
    34. Electric typewriter

Most of those are history, but some I still use. I have a 'jukebox' of CDs Once in a while I wish I had a typewriter for filling in forms.

That's about it.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    How about an anvil, rounding hammer, wolf jaw tongs. Or a peavy and pickeroon.

I have a peavy for logs i use every month.

I also have a peavy t60 guitar. Bought in 1980 .

Cassette and records , kids laugh at me.

A few CDs because the car has a player.

VCR i use.

DVD because the grand kids needed the DVD player to play Frozen, Scamper the penguin, and paw patrol.

Interesting to me is to watch products filter out of the market place. I go to a lot of secondhand stores. There used to be 8 track tapes by the bushel. They are finally gone. Now there are bushels of VHS tapes and lots of CDs--not quite in the bushel baskets.

A few weeks ago I was in a thrift store and a kid pulled out a golden LP "What the hell is this?" he asked to anyone listening. I explained that it was a laser disc. He had never heard of one. He wasn't sure he believed me that it was a movie until another gray haired guy backed me up.

I still have CDs and DVDs. The office gave up its typewriter about 15 years ago. Before that we had to have one for the every now and then form that required typing. I have a fax machine, but it's on the chopping block.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

I'd love to ditch faxes, but our government partners have not yet figured out that encrypted PDFs are just as secure and much higher quality.

The only digital copy of the theatrical release of Star Wars to escape Lucas's grasp was on laser disc. Worth big bucks the last time I noticed it.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    I'd love to ditch faxes, but our government partners have not yet figured out that encrypted PDFs are just as secure and much higher quality.
    My IT guy said that a fax is more secure because there are no copies made of the document along the way. Don't know if it's true, but banks are still requiring some documents to be faxed
    Elect a clown expect a circus

• 8" Floppy disk - About 1990 - One of our major analytical instruments had 8" floppies until we finally upgraded the computer in about 1990.
      3.5" Floppy disk - I still have a 3.5" floppy drive that I use occassionally.
      Zip drive - never
      Dial up modem - four years ago when they finally put cable down our road.
      Tape drive (back up) - never, although I did use a paper tape drive in the mid 70s.
      Pager - never.
      Payphone - Sometime in the 80s.
      Betamax - About 1990.
      8 Tracks Stereo - never.
      Laser disk players - never.
      VCR - never.
      VHS - Still have one because the wife has some old movies she likes and refuses to get on DVD. She has me drag it out every couple of months.
      DVD - every day
      Cassette tape recorder - 1990s
      Reel to reel tape recorder - 1980
      Home movie projector and “Super 8/8mm” Handheld Video Cameras - never.
      Slide projector - 1999
      Disposable camera - never
      Polaroid Cameras - 1980
      Roll of film - 2004
      Record player and vinyl records - last week
      Dot matrix (impact) printing - 1990s
      Fountain pen (refilled from bottled ink). - 1980s (if you count a rapidograph)
      Boom Box. - never
      Transister radio (am) - still have a couple but I don't use them - my wife does.
      Analogue phone (rotary dial) - today (I answered the phone in the guest room). Haven't dialed a number on it for years.
      Telex - never.
      Sony Discman (played compact disks) - never
      ​Compact disks - About half of our music is on CDs. The rest is on vinyl.
      Portable televisions, such as Sony’s Watchman - never.
      Personal Digital Assistants (PDA) e.g. Apple Newton etc - never.
      Cathode ray tube TV - 2009 when they switched to digital TV. We upgraded to the big screen (19") TV then.
      Manual typewriter - wife still uses one.
      Electric typewriter - 1980.

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Todd D; 04-13-2018 at 04:40 PM.

when did you last use one of these.........found at the local op shop last week:
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    My IT guy said that a fax is more secure because there are no copies made of the document along the way. Don't know if it's true, but banks are still requiring some documents to be faxed
    Unless the line is tapped... or you dial the wrong number, which has led to some truly astonishing breaches of privacy.

Encryption, on the other hand, is proof against pretty much anyone except the serious spooks.

fountain pen used to sign labels.