Thread: Linseed Oil + Heat to Strip Bottom Paint

Default Linseed Oil + Heat to Strip Bottom Paint

As noted elsewhere, I am refastening Wandering Star. One of the big challenges is removing bottom paint. I have found paint strippers expensive, nasty and labor intensive. Sanders tiring, dusty and prone to damage soft wood. In my research, I read about SpeedHeater a better but expensive heat source. Their website recommends applying linseed oil to bottom paint a day before heating it. This works. In the past I have found most bottom paint resistant to heat, it doesn't bubble up like other paint. Maybe the high solids. The linseed oil soaks in and then softens the paint with heat. Maybe this isn't news to some of you, I had never heard it before.

Default Re: Linseed Oil + Heat to Strip Bottom Paint

Well that's pretty all right. Thanks for the tip. I had never heard that one --and wish I had!

Does it work with all types of bottom paint --hard, ablative, water-based, oil-based...? What did you use it on?

Alex

I think Petit Ablative, over older CPP, synthetic oil.

I've never had any problem stripping bottom paint. There was a hand-held paint torch connected by a hose to a five gallon propane tank. It put out a lot of heat fast and the paint came off quickly with a sharp triangular scraper. We wore welder's gloves with gauntlets so the hot, and sometimes burning, bottom paint wouldn't land on our forearms and burn the hell out of us. Nasty work, but effective. The torch put out a lot more heat than any heat gun I've ever seen. The paint would ignite as the shavings fell off the scraper. We'd wet down the ground to put it out when it fell.

I would be reluctant to soak paint in linseed oil before burning it off. It would seem to me the linseed oil would substantially increase the flammability of the exercise in general.
    Last edited by Bob Cleek; 04-14-2018 at 02:53 PM.

You can make an infrared paint stripper like the Speedheater or Silent Stripper from about $70 worth of parts from a restaurant supply store. The SH and SS cost $500-$600. But you can buy a 1000 watt ceramic emitter and a matching aluminum/ss housing and make a handle from some bolts, spacers and a piece of wood. These are much safer than Bob’s torch method and much faster than using a heat gun.

You can order the parts from this site: https://www.infraredheaters.com/

You want: FTE-1000-120-0-L6-WH-0
    This designates:
    FTE ceramic emitter-1000 Watt-120 Volt-no thermocouple-standard six inch length of leads-white glaze color-standard pin terminal option. Part number IRCER10272
    -ceramic emitter $31.25
    -The aluminum housing part number is IRALX10001. Price has increased since I last ordered to $61.28.
    -Don't forget the ceramic terminal block IRTB10002. As far as I know this is not included. $3.30.
    -The clip that secures the ceramic emitter to the aluminum housing is included.
    -Shipping says it's either FedEx or UPS. $8.93
    Last edited by StevenBauer; 04-13-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks Steve, I may look into it, especially if I strip the whole hull.
    Bob, a heat gun does the job well after linseed oil, and nothing catches fire, which is probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Bob, a heat gun does the job well after linseed oil, and nothing catches fire, which is probably good.
    I neglected to mention that a relative of mine's painting contracting company burned a huge Victorian landmark to the ground stripping over a century of paint from the redwood siding with flame torches. It was an extremely hot day, over 100 degrees, and there was a drought going on so the fire department wouldn't let them tap into their hydrant to hose the job down as was the usual practice. All it took was a small burning bit to get through a crack and quietly start working its way upward between the joists. There were no fire stops in those old buildings and the space between the studs acted like a chimney with nobody knowing it. Once it hit the attic going full bore, the whole building exploded in flame and that was all she wrote. Fortunately, they were insured.

When I get back to Maine I’ll take a pic of the ones I made. Man it’s hot here in the Deep South of Northern NJ. 80 degrees f! Back in Maine it’s still winter.

That's an instructive story Bob. I had thought about using a weed burner. But WS is in a crowded boatyard on gravel/dry grass. The nearest boat is only 18 inches away, a shrink wrapped fg gas powered motor boat. I'm working alone, not even a spotter.
    Steven, I'd appreciate that picture.

Sorry this took so long. And I had the power of my strippers wrong - one is 650 watts and the other is 750.

B40A201E-4D1C-4319-9D96-B7A93548CA81.jpg

Thank you.
    I ordered the Speedheater and have used it. I'm less than thrilled.

The old Tributyltin paint is still around on some old boats bottoms. Horrible stuff. The smell is quite distinctive & it is lethal stuff to burn off, A friend of mine was hospitalized for two days after an afternoon of stripping it off with a torch. He recovered ok.

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    The old Tributyltin paint is still around on some old boats bottoms. Horrible stuff. The smell is quite distinctive & it is lethal stuff to burn off, A friend of mine was hospitalized for two days after an afternoon of stripping it off with a torch. He recovered ok.
    "I love the smell of Tributyltin in the morning..." Actually, TBTO is on a lot of bottoms that are more than about forty years old. Even if they were stripped along the way, there's still residue. TBTO is fantastic stuff. It really keeps everything off of a bottom for a long, long, time. Unfortunately, the eco-freaks got their panties all in a bunch because (drumroll please...) it kills marine growth. The stuff that passes for antifouling paint available to the general public today after TBTO was outlawed (except for use on submarine scientific sensor equipment) is near useless. If you hauled and painted a bottom with porch paint every eight months or a year, you'd probably get the same results as you do with the new "eco-friendly" anti-fouling paints. Actually, if you think about it, "eco-friendly" biocide paint is an oxymoron. That said, as with all poisons, prudence is the watchword. I've seen guys go to the emergency disk-sanding bottoms and breathing the dust, just as burning can release toxic fumes. Any such enterprise, whether paints are toxic or not, should be done wearing a decent mask and with a good sized shop fan blowing the dust away from you. Unfortunately, these days, it seems the "nanny state" is hell-bent on outlawing anything with which a candidate for the "Darwin Award" might hurt themselves or otherwise wreak havoc.

Interesting. Most of the paint on the bottom is not too old, I recognize the recent layers. There is some darker stuff in spots that is quite hard, and resists heat. For the most part, I'm just stripping the hull in way of the frames right now. But I do want to clean it smooth, if not bare. I just received a sample pack from Peel Away. The heat is working, but slowly. I hate power sanding, because even with suction, dust ends up all over me and everything else.

So, I tried the chemical removers. There were four: Peel Away 1, Peel Away 7, Smart Strip and Smart Strip Pro. The "Smart" strip formulas were completely ineffective, The Peel Aways were slightly effective, #1 was best. But it also had the most negative effect: Where it stripped paint down to wood, it also removed glue from between strips.
    Back to heat.