Thread: We are planting a bee pasture

Default We are planting a bee pasture

We have a small plot, about a quarter acre, that's fenced off. We planted some fig trees in there but there's nothing else there. We fenced it off years ago when two of our biggest dogs, who had grown old together, decided they hated each other's guts and really wanted to kill one another more than anything in the world (I am not kidding). They've both passed on now (of natural causes, thankfully) and the pasture sits vacant except for grass and figs, and we decided that maybe planting clover in there would be a good thing to do.

I remember as a little kid laying in clover with the bees buzzing all around me, laying there watching the clouds float by. People mow down clover now and seldom let it grow and I thought it would at least be a chance to help the bees, so we got clover seed, spread and raked it in, and hopefully will have a bee pasture this summer.

With all of the fallow land around why don't more people plant clover? Deer hunters plant it here as food plots, but you never see anyone plant it just as ground cover.

Anyway, something different to talk and think about.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Default Re: We are planting a bee pasture

What a lovely idea. My buddy who built his place up in the Columbia Gorge did the same. He also added some plants to attract butterflys. It's a sweet and peaceful addition to his property.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Excellent! Be sure to post pictures, when it blooms.

What are the native species in your area for that kind of piece of open land? You may help bees as much or more, and a raft oth other grateful species, by including a really good whack of that flora.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Micky, be careful! Check the seeds/flowers you're gonna plant. Some companies sneak in non indigos plants/seeds to put in. Make sure they aren't. Great idea, I do that here too but, I would, I have 3 hives.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

I have quite a bit of white clover on the property in Mississippi. Some areas have a lot of milkweed which I have been leaving not mowed during the growing season.

The West Coast Seed company has just come up with this 'Bee Turf'. I'm going to try some on a part of our lawn but have to dig up the grass first.

https://www.westcoastseeds.com/shop/...ions/bee-turf/

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

"In the Clover"

Why not?

edit; I also can remember lying in a field of clover hay as a boy. It was pretty common to see great fields of clover gone to blossom, and the cows liked it even more than I did!
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 04-12-2018 at 10:34 AM.

the boss does bees. he's said numerous times that bees don't harvest anything within 100 yards (maybe he said ft) of the hive so it was no use planting anything for the bees on his property. he reads up a LOT about bees, so i'm assuming he knows his stuff... i personally have no idea.

I read once that before people wanted the golf green look for their lawns clover used to considered an acceptable mix in the grass. Not possible with weed and feed fertilizers.

Anything is more interesting than the typical suburban grass lawn. However, my neighbors (and my wife) have never agreed.

We are doing the same for our two plots of grass, but we are not planting a monoculture.
    We are using a native wild flower meadow mix.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Clover, Dandelions, & Violets.. make for a lovely lawn/field! I say 'Cool'!

'ell, maybe throw some collards/kale out for self seeding greens/spring yellow..

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    Clover, Dandelions, & Violets.. make for a lovely lawn/field! I say 'Cool'!

'ell, maybe throw some collards/kale out for self seeding greens/spring yellow..
    Have dandelions if your neighbours have a lawn.
    And you hate your neighbours.

Which bees are you hoping for - Honey bees like the white clover(trifolium repens) but aren't built to deal with the pink/purple types - which do however suit bumble bees.

Clover fixes nitrogen which is why it was always a popular inclusion in a crop rotation scheme.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Hey Mickey, I planted 150lbs of red and crimson clover down at my daughters place along with radish, mustard, peas and buckwheat. Buckwheat is pretty. Along the garden is a 4’ x 60’ bed of everything flowery. Gotta have sunflowers. Bee balm, echinacea.

So Rose clover is not good for honey? Bummer, it grows all over No Cal
    Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Which bees are you hoping for - Honey bees like the white clover(trifolium repens) but aren't built to deal with the pink/purple types - which do however suit bumble bees.

Clover fixes nitrogen which is why it was always a popular inclusion in a crop rotation scheme.

Here in New Zealand the real gold in the honey industry is "Manuka" honey,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%81nuka_honey . This stuff has become so valuable that some farmers are planting their less productive land in Manuka trees, which can grow to about 10 metres in height, flower profusely in the spring and very occasionally in autumn as well, then lease the area to beekeepers.

On the topic of bees and beekeeping NZ had an epidemic of Varoa mite infestation a while back, that decimated the feral bee population and required antibiotic strips in the domesticated hives used for crop pollination, I hear thats well under control now and we're beginning to see a comeback in the wild bee population which is a wonderful thing.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

All of the above is sound.. and congrats... but bees not going further than 100 yds from the hive...? I'm no bee keeper but there's a million bees aroound here when the blossom's out, and the nearest hives are at least 500mts away. maybe feral I suppose. and I'd mix in stuff like lavander and rosemary, with the wild meadow plants. Nick's patch is a delight.
    Camomile too...looks like a daisy but bigger, and borage is popular round here with the furry buzzers.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

We eat the Manuka Honey every day. $25 for a little jar.

Butterflies like Milkweed, I'm told. If you can, add some of those to th field as well.

A great place to buy organic & Non-GMO seeds online is an outfit called High-Mowing Seeds, out of Vermont. it's a great company.

Ralphie

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Micky, be careful! Check the seeds/flowers you're gonna plant. Some companies sneak in non indigos plants/seeds to put in. Make sure they aren't. Great idea, I do that here too but, I would, I have 3 hives.

What are 'non indigos plants/seeds' ?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    We are doing the same for our two plots of grass, but we are not planting a monoculture.
    Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Boy View Post

Butterflies like Milkweed, I'm told. If you can, add some of those to th field as well.

A great place to buy organic & Non-GMO seeds online is an outfit called High-Mowing Seeds, out of Vermont. it's a great company.

Ralphie
    Wanderer's / Monarch's do.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    We have a small plot, about a quarter acre, that's fenced off. We planted some fig trees in there but there's nothing else there.....

I remember as a little kid laying in clover with the bees buzzing all around me, laying there watching the clouds float by. People mow down clover now and seldom let it grow and I thought it would at least be a chance to help the bees, so we got clover seed, spread and raked it in, and hopefully will have a bee pasture this summer.

With all of the fallow land around why don't more people plant clover? Deer hunters plant it here as food plots, but you never see anyone plant it just as ground cover.

Anyway, something different to talk and think about.

Mickey Lake

That sounds great, Mickey. It will be beautiful, attract bees and smell so good.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    The West Coast Seed company has just come up with this 'Bee Turf'. I'm going to try some on a part of our lawn but have to dig up the grass first.

https://www.westcoastseeds.com/shop/...ions/bee-turf/

Interesting. Worth checking into that.

That's stunningly beautiful. I've thought about doing this. How long does it bloom?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Boy View Post

Ralphie
    Will check them out. Thank you.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote Originally Posted by Spin_Drift View Post
    That's stunningly beautiful. I've thought about doing this. How long does it bloom?
    Dunno yet, this is the first time we will have seeded the grass. They are supposed to set seed by haytime, so that the annual seeds self sow when you mow the hay.
    It will be different with your native flora and seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin_Drift View Post
    Our local city (Swansea) has started doing something like this on road verges and roundabouts - last year the blooms began in May and continued with varying plants through to late September.

Looks good.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Dunno yet, this is the first time we will have seeded the grass. They are supposed to set seed by haytime, so that the annual seeds self sow when you mow the hay.
    It will be different with your native flora and seasons.

I have been doing this with a portion of my front lawn for a number of years. Blooms early summer through fall. Sime years its spectacular. Other years it looks like a patch of tall weeds.
    Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.