Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tormek T8, table saw and compass plane?

Default Re: Tormek T8, table saw and compass plane?

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Someone'll correct me if I'm wrong but ..... If you use good quality turning chisels, e'g., P & N, they're a lot harder than ordinary chisels and I'm not sure that the Tormek stone would be hard enough for them. You need a good aluminium oxide wheel on your grinder to shape turning chisels and you need al oxide stone and al oxide slipstones to sharpen them. I suspect you would damage the Tormek stone if you try to sharpen turning chisels with it. But please bear in mind that, while I've done a lot of turning and therefore sharpening and grinding of turning chisels, I've never used the Tormek so it's possible that it's more suitable than I think. I'm surprised you can sharpen drill bits with it.

Rick
    thanks rick. I'll do more research.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
    compass planes come in handy for many jobs when one wants to use hand tools.
    Hi Bernie, still want that compass plane?
    I have one of these I am unlikely to use any more. A Stanley No. 113

hello Jeff, Ill send you a PM. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Someone'll correct me if I'm wrong but ..... If you use good quality turning chisels, e'g., P & N, they're a lot harder than ordinary chisels and I'm not sure that the Tormek stone would be hard enough for them. You need a good aluminium oxide wheel on your grinder to shape turning chisels and you need al oxide stone and al oxide slipstones to sharpen them. I suspect you would damage the Tormek stone if you try to sharpen turning chisels with it. But please bear in mind that, while I've done a lot of turning and therefore sharpening and grinding of turning chisels, I've never used the Tormek so it's possible that it's more suitable than I think. I'm surprised you can sharpen drill bits with it.

Rick
    Rick, you can sharpen HSS turning tools on a Tormek with no problem, in fact there are many attachments available to aid the process. It is slow, however, much slower than using a regular grinder. The HSS tools can withstand more heat then tool steel, turning blue without a problem, so a properly set up grinder is often a better choice. By properly set up I mean an 1800 RPM grinder with suitable wheels, not Al-Ox, and a good tool rest.

Bernadette, one of the more useful accessories for the Tormek is the diamond point stone truing device. It's a simple arrangement that can refresh the stones surface and bring it into a true round. Well worth the expense.

Jim

Regarding wheels - there's another option now, which sounds interesting, but no one I know has tried them yet. CBN is apparently one of the higher-order 'superabrasives' that heretofore have been mostly used in demanding high-volume applications. Now available in a sorta/kinda affordable small-shop version - http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...=1,43072,43080

Jim - when you say, 'not aluminum oxide'... what is your preference? I have Al-ox wheels on my grinder, and have had no issue with them. I do have one woodworking buddy who likes his 'ceramic aluminum oxide' wheels. What do you use?

I have to agree about the SawStop saws. I've had a chance to use several now, and have been impressed. Even setting the pluses & minuses of the unique safety features aside (I think the drawbacks are minor compared to the potential pluses) - they are well designed and well constructed.
    Last edited by David G; 04-15-2018 at 09:26 AM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post

Jim - when you say, 'not aluminum oxide'... what is your preference? I have Al-ox wheels on my grinder, and have had no issue with them. I do have one woodworking buddy who likes his 'ceramic aluminum oxide' wheels. What do you use
    The blue ones, David. Here's a link. They're softer than Al-Ox wheels and run cooler. You want to grind with the coarsest grit that works for your use, as they cut faster yet run cooler than the finer grits.

https://oneway.ca/products-category/...nding%20Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    The blue ones, David. Here's a link. They're softer than Al-Ox wheels and run cooler. You want to grind with the coarsest grit that works for your use, as they cut faster yet run cooler than the finer grits.

https://oneway.ca/products-category/...nding%20Wheels
    Interesting. The one fellow I mentioned that has switched to 'ceramic al-ox' is a serious turner, and used the Oneway wheels before that. He said he didn't notice much of a difference from the al-ox wheels he had previously been using... so went to the ceramic version. He said he has noticed a difference there. Of course, there are a variety of al-ox configurations... so who knows what he was comparing to. May not have been the exact al-ox wheels you had used. You know anything about those CBN contraptions?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I looked into the CBN wheels and learned that they cannot be used for carbon steel.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I looked into the CBN wheels and learned that they cannot be used for carbon steel.

Jeff
    Good to know, and too bad. I still own a few non-HSS turning tools. Passed on by an old friend who has also passed on. Not likely to give 'em up soon.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Good quality al ox wheels are a grey-blue colour and the best available here for turning tools. They're definitely the go for quality turning chisels. There are white al oxide wheels that are not suitable.

Rick