Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tormek T8, table saw and compass plane?

Default Tormek T8, table saw and compass plane?

Im interested in the Tormek T8 system. Anyone with first hand experience and/or others willing to share opinions on the unit???

I am looking at buying a 'new' table saw. Again Im after first hand experience etc. for differing features and brands to buy/stay clear off.
    Im still using Dad's Paul Call table saw but it needs a major overhaul (and I don't have the time nor inclination at present) and since my alteraction with flying timber coming off machine just over a year ago...leaving me with a 2" scar between my eyes...Im keen to use something with a more expansive table top, a much wider base support and the ability to change angles etc.

and, one last thing....does anyone have a compass plane they want to sell?

thanks
    bern

Default Re: Tormek T8, table saw and compass plane?

Why do you want a compass plane? I thought that was more a cabinet maker's tool than a boat builder's tool. I have yet to find a curvy job that couldn't be done with an arbortech turbo plane on the angle grinder and finished with the rounded end of a belt sander.

compass planes come in handy for many jobs when one wants to use hand tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Why do you want a compass plane? I thought that was more a cabinet maker's tool than a boat builder's tool. I have yet to find a curvy job that couldn't be done with an arbortech turbo plane on the angle grinder and finished with the rounded end of a belt sander.

/Mats
    Yes the avatar depicts me; yes I drew the comic boat pic, it's a joke on the pop song I'm not a robot by Marina and the diamonds

Yeah good point, hand tools are the way to go for complete self sufficiency in remote places... or if you just hate dust and noise.

Bernadette, I bought a 10'' ( but will take a 12'' blade ) Wadkin off Ebay from Melbourne. It's a really good bit of gear . I had to fit a single phase motor as it had a 3 hp 3 phase on it and do a bit of other fettling too. The same model as this. It's Rolls Royce quality. Freight from Melbourne to Murwillumbah was about $200, the saw was $170 !!!!!
    https://www.newmac.com.au/wadkin-tab...5v-stock-3189/

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Mohsart, good pic, I stand corrected... but I'll still be reaching for my angle grinder for curvy stuff, and looking around for help from Bernadette if there is no power available.

A Powermatic 66 that is pre 2000 is a good saw. The same goes for Delta Unisaw. The bigger the motor the better, if you have the electrical requirements. I have found that the newer saws have seen lower quality changes made to compete with cheaper imports. This not true of bigger more expensive industrial equipment, but it is not always practical for home shops. In the States there are various dealers in used equipment where you can find very reasonable prices on good industrial equipment. We just bought a mid ‘90’s Powermatic 66 for $2800 delivered. A very nice machine.

Bernadette, We are a Tormek educator here in Green Bay, WI. Our T8 gets used almost every day and dragged around to shows all the time. I'm still a Japanese water stone person, but the Tormek is one of the most used power tools in our shop. We use a lot of axes and straight knifes to teach green woodworking and it is fantastic for that. If you are 75% hand tools or greater...it should be at the top of your list.

If I was buying a new saw Id buy a Sawstop. The cabinet saw is well made and there are a couple of options that make it an attractive peice of machinery, safety notwithstanding.

EBay is the place to find a good compass plane.

Hi Bernadette,
    I can't speak for the Tormek, but I have the Jet knock-off which I mostly like. The Tormek comes with a better and slightly wider stone. On my Jet, the stone retainer nut was not SST and began to rust immediately...something to check on the Tormek. The splash guard that keeps water out from behind the stone on the Jet is insufficient and I've gotten grit-laden water down into the bushing at that end, but so far there's no play to be seen; again, something to investigate. The Tormek looks like it may have more clearance between the top of the stone and the lifting handle...I've had difficulty obtaining clearance for some of my drawknives. The kluged up setup shown is my jig for bevelling the chisel/knife I'm making. One of the things I REALLY like about these if their flexibility and adaptability...you can get a decent bevel on just about anything if you're inventive. Good choice, I'd say!

IMG_4143.jpg

Get a Saw Stop. The first time it saves you this sort of **** it will have more than paid for itself.

Fingers 001.jpg

My next saw will be a sawstop. They are essentially the same price as a comparable finger-chopping model. I wouldn't do it if they were inferior, but they are a good solid saw, with the added benefit of not giving you woodworkers fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by hands on deck View Post
    Bernadette, We are a Tormek educator here in Green Bay, WI. Our T8 gets used almost every day and dragged around to shows all the time. I'm still a Japanese water stone person, but the Tormek is one of the most used power tools in our shop. We use a lot of axes and straight knifes to teach green woodworking and it is fantastic for that. If you are 75% hand tools or greater...it should be at the top of your list.
    I LOVE IT !!!!!

https://www.handsondeckgb.org/

Hi Bernadette
    I don't have a Tormek although I have to admit I'd like one. I have three diamond stones - coarse, medium and fine, and a bench grinder with an aluminium oxide stone. The diamond stones sharpen very quickly.

Wadkin machines are fantastic but can be hard to come by now! I have a 12" Carbatec table saw and it's very good. Big table, accurate fence, good tilting mechanism and rise and fall.

I have a compass plane but no one would get me to part with it - sorry! I'll keep an eye out for one.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Bernadette, I bought a 10'' ( but will take a 12'' blade ) Wadkin off Ebay from Melbourne. It's a really good bit of gear . I had to fit a single phase motor as it had a 3 hp 3 phase on it and do a bit of other fettling too. The same model as this. It's Rolls Royce quality. Freight from Melbourne to Murwillumbah was about $200, the saw was $170 !!!!!
    https://www.newmac.com.au/wadkin-tab...5v-stock-3189/

very nice bit of machinery there Peter. thats pretty much the type Im after.
    I once purchased a small table saw for $50 at a garage sale. Quite a good unit. I ended up paying $250 to the electrician to fit an on/off switch though!

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Get a Saw Stop. The first time it saves you this sort of **** it will have more than paid for itself.

Fingers 001.jpg
    yes Gib, I take your advice very seriously. I was wondering how you were healing too, by the way...'well', I can see by your photos. you are so fortunate to have just lots the tips if there is any fortune to be had in a machine accident!

Tormek T8 is fabulous, don't even know where all my water stones and other sharpening gear got to, the Tormek gets great bevels fast and accurately

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Hi Bernadette,
    I can't speak for the Tormek, but I have the Jet knock-off which I mostly like. The Tormek comes with a better and slightly wider stone. On my Jet, the stone retainer nut was not SST and began to rust immediately...something to check on the Tormek. The splash guard that keeps water out from behind the stone on the Jet is insufficient and I've gotten grit-laden water down into the bushing at that end, but so far there's no play to be seen; again, something to investigate. The Tormek looks like it may have more clearance between the top of the stone and the lifting handle...I've had difficulty obtaining clearance for some of my drawknives. The kluged up setup shown is my jig for bevelling the chisel/knife I'm making. One of the things I REALLY like about these if their flexibility and adaptability...you can get a decent bevel on just about anything if you're inventive. Good choice, I'd say!

IMG_4143.jpg
    thanks for the advice Hugh. The jet does look very similar to the Tormek.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
    very nice bit of machinery there Peter. thats pretty much the type Im after.
    I once purchased a small table saw for $50 at a garage sale. Quite a good unit. I ended up paying $250 to the electrician to fit an on/off switch though!
    I fitted the single phase motor and switch myself Bernie, it's not hard.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by hands on deck View Post
    yes I figured I was being lazy not continuing to sharpen with what I've got in the shed. I will admit, its fairly rudimentary. theres so much I don't like about my current system and I don't have the cleanliness nor the space to set up for graded stones, sandpaper and so forth.
    so I figured the Tormek would make all the difference. the next stage of the yacht build is to make the masts and clean down the hull. after this I move back into the interior and with that I want to be using really good sharpened chisels.

I fitted the single phase motor and switch myself Bernie, it's not hard.
    im just not that savvy! and yeah, im sure its not hard to wire in a switch..after all how many wires just are there to play with!!!!????
    electrical stuff isn't my forte and quite frankly, it scares me somewhat. I don't like the thought of getting a shock...so for me, I leave that side of things to the experts.

yes I figured I was being lazy not continuing to sharpen with what I've got in the shed. I will admit, its fairly rudimentary. theres so much I don't like about my current system and I don't have the cleanliness nor the space to set up for graded stones, sandpaper and so forth.
    so I figured the Tormek would make all the difference. the next stage of the yacht build is to make the masts and clean down the hull. after this I move back into the interior and with that I want to be using really good sharpened chisels.
    You need a bench grinder anyway so having a good stone on one side of that is easy to set up. A system of three diamond stones takes up about a square foot. No oil, no mess and a heck of a lot simpler than frigging with all the Tormek etc. bits and pieces. And a whole lot cheaper! The cheaper Tormek model is about $600 here and the 'proper' one, over $1000.

Rick

I have a T-2000 Supergrind and love it. Attachments are a little pricey though.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im just not that savvy! and yeah, im sure its not hard to wire in a switch..after all how many wires just are there to play with!!!!????
    electrical stuff isn't my forte and quite frankly, it scares me somewhat. I don't like the thought of getting a shock...so for me, I leave that side of things to the experts.
    Probably wise but I have a electrician friend who is happy to show me and do the things I don't feel up to.

The fitting of the new motor is simple, straight mechanicing. Any how I recommend the Wadkin if the price is reasonable, it's beautifully made machinery.
    Grateful Dead

Ive used a tormek at school and while it does work well its slow and does not seem particularly versatile, depending on what you're sharpening a decent bench grinder and a good set of diamond stones with a honing guide would be my personal preference. I feel the opposite way about the Sawstop, they are very well thought out machines. Pretty much my only gripe is that it can take a slightly annoying second for them to reset back to on after you adjust the riving knife or somehow touch the blade; but, thats a tiny price to pay for what they can save.

Interesting .....another ad for the same machine.
    https://www.machines4u.com.au/view/a...le-Saw/399909/
    Grateful Dead

Interesting .....another ad for the same machine.
    https://www.machines4u.com.au/view/a...le-Saw/399909/
    pretty good price too.
    I wonder what the weight of the machine is as this would factor into freight costings.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    You need a bench grinder anyway so having a good stone on one side of that is easy to set up. A system of three diamond stones takes up about a square foot. No oil, no mess and a heck of a lot simpler than frigging with all the Tormek etc. bits and pieces. And a whole lot cheaper! The cheaper Tormek model is about $600 here and the 'proper' one, over $1000.

Rick
    hey rick
    im expecting to pay around $1200 for the T8 with all the attachments. a little pricey but Im willing to pay.
    already have the bench grinder and stone but things get moved around a fair bit depending on what job Im on.

pretty good price too.
    I wonder what the weight of the machine is as this would factor into freight costings.
    No idea but the top half is all cast iron, the bottom is sheet metal. 150 kg ?
    Grateful Dead

Bern’ I have the Tormek and am very pleased with it, though I think mine is a T4 not the T8, which probably wasn’t available when I got mine (when I was in WA so about 4-5 years ago I guess). I looked at all available similar alternatives and options at the time and there may be more alternatives available now but I ended up going for the Tormek as a better long term investment that I expect to last for as long as I want to sharpen anything. IE the better stone, better motor, more versatility and availability of guides and accessories and so on.

I still like to go to my Japanese stones for some things like my very good chisels, knives and sharpened spoons but that seems to be more of a pleasure/leisure activity and in reality I use the Tormek 95% of the time now that I have it set up in its own spot ready to use without having to drag it out from a shelf or cupboard.

You do have to spend some time first up with some tools to get edge angles set up and edges straight (or I did anyway on my older well used and often sharpened tools) but once you’ve done that it’s pretty straight forward and quick to step to the Tormek, sharpen and be back at work, or to run through all your tools at the end of the day ready for the next.....(cup of tea or beer/wine time).

I’d thoroughly recommend one based on my own use and experience, it’s one of those tools that I pat myself on the back for sticking to my guns on rather than going for a cheaper option.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Bernadette, the Tormek is an excellent machine. For the most part I use only the one fixture for chisel and plane blade sharpening, but it is good to have other fixtures available for less common applications. The large diameter stone creates a less-pronounced hollow grind than a bench grinder, which I like. I don't use the polishing wheel for final sharpening, preferring to go to a waterstone.

Blackening the bevel with a marker is a good way to set the blade in the holder to match the previous bevel. Eyeball it from the side first and then shift the blade slightly until the wheel scrapes all the blade evenly all over.

These days I mainly use a diamond plate and a series of three waterstones for most sharpening, but when the bevel needs resetting or a chip needs grinding out I use the Tormek.

thanks for the info on usage Greg and Jim. I do expect to spend a bit of time initially 'tidying' up my chisels on the Tormek.
    At times they have a tough life....getting dropped from a height off the boat onto the cement floor or I hit a hidden fastening...all this despite my due care and diligence!
    I like how I will have the capacity to sharpen the lathe chisels in due course as I will be turning my belaying pins and deadeyes plus the pattern for the cast stanchions.
    For an extra $400 or so I can get a drill sharpening attachment but I'll leave this till some later date.

150kg doesn't seem like much weight for the table saw Peter. I figured it would be in the order of 300 + kilos. Ill give the seller a call on Monday and get the details.

Good, could you tell me what they say ? I somehow got mine from the transport depot into my workshop alone .
    Grateful Dead

Someone'll correct me if I'm wrong but ..... If you use good quality turning chisels, e'g., P & N, they're a lot harder than ordinary chisels and I'm not sure that the Tormek stone would be hard enough for them. You need a good aluminium oxide wheel on your grinder to shape turning chisels and you need al oxide stone and al oxide slipstones to sharpen them. I suspect you would damage the Tormek stone if you try to sharpen turning chisels with it. But please bear in mind that, while I've done a lot of turning and therefore sharpening and grinding of turning chisels, I've never used the Tormek so it's possible that it's more suitable than I think. I'm surprised you can sharpen drill bits with it.

Rick