Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a viable alternative to WBF

Default Is there a viable alternative to WBF

Given the acrimony from mostl parties, perceived lack of cogent response plus data mining and general quasi YNW "management" to support a capitalist enterprise.

Discuss and recommendation. Open forum for all
    Last edited by purri; 04-12-2018 at 12:28 AM.
    Xanthorrea

Default Re: Is there a viable alternative to WBF

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Given the acrimony from mostl parties, perceived lack of cogent response plus data mining and general quasi YNW "management" to support a capitalist enterprise.

Yeah.

Bye.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

As Claudius said via Robert Graves. BTW I've known the family for 60 decades and met him once, Daunting!
    Given the acrimony from most parties, perceived lack of cogent response plus data mining and general quasi YNW "management" to support a capitalist enterprise.

Last edited by purri; 04-12-2018 at 12:27 AM.
    Xanthorrea

Do you have an "interest"as it were?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Yeah.

Bye.
    Xanthorrea

Your postings are getting weirder day by day.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Only viable alternative I think of is doing stuff, otherwise it works fine.

Really? Perhaps made more pungent by deferring to a line in "Claudius the God" or might I defer to alliteration. ACB might know it.
    Your postings are getting weirder day by day.
    Xanthorrea

I'm not entirely sure i understand your OP. Lack of data mining?

But your thread question is something i've contemplated.
    A google search of many of the problems i have with my boat rarely points to the WBF - mostly cruiser forums. When i have wooden boat specific questions i tend to ask them directly here.
    I think the Bilge gives a very skewed perspective of the WBF - largely the reality of the forum is more open minded, generous and supportive.
    I'm aware of the link to a commercial enterprise, but i don't feel it imposes itself on the forum.

Broadly, i would say i do not know of a viable alternative to the WBF when it comes to informed advice about the ownership, construction and care for wooden boats.

The tabloid comments sections might be alternatives for the Bilge sometimes. Or a trip down to the pub a few evenings a week.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

"I think the Bilge gives a very skewed perspective of the WBF - largely the reality of the forum is more open minded, generous and supportive."

I think purri you should not pursue this matter any more, it only adds to that to which you object.
    Local forumites have been aware of the continuing…. difficulties etc. for some time, it's not fair to involve others who will post in ignorance of the actual situation.

Go upstairs for a while, or be come more cynically amused by the goings on as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    "I think the Bilge gives a very skewed perspective of the WBF - largely the reality of the forum is more open minded, generous and supportive."

I think purri you should not pursue this matter any more, it only adds to that to which you object.
    Local forumites have been aware of the continuing…. difficulties etc. for some time, it's not fair to involve others who will post in ignorance of the actual situation.

Go upstairs for a while, or be come more cynically amused by the goings on as I am.
    Nah, he oughta go back to the realsurf forum. Geez, they loved him over there.....

Oldman summed him up:

What strange things you lot debate when I'm on hols.

Purri/Puuri has to be taken as he/she posts. Some of it is sensible and clever, some of it is that terrible turgid pseudo academese that has no meaning but lots of allusion to meaning, and an implied intellectual superiority.

The purpose of this writing style is sometimes to feel as though you are saying something profound when you haven't got much more than a puddle to draw on, or, as I suspect in the case of Puuri, may actually have some depth but are more interested in saying something that is cryptic, purely for the joy of pulling your chain.

If puuri writes something you don't get, and you have read enough to know a bit about the english language, have enough self respect to ignore the dribble and see if there is anything worthwhile in there. If there isn't, don't walk away thinking you missed out on something profound. You probably didn't.

For the life of me, I can't comprehend why someone would want to talk, think or write unintelligible gibberish, but the world is big enough for all of us.

oh dear BFr, are you trolling perhap/ (buI know yor "ididariynnacies" as bobbys mighht opine).
    Nah, he oughta go back to the realsurf forum. Geez, they loved him over there.....

Oldman summed him up:

What strange things you lot debate when I'm on hols.

Purri/Puuri has to be taken as he/she posts. Some of it is sensible and clever, some of it is that terrible turgid pseudo academese that has no meaning but lots of allusion to meaning, and an implied intellectual superiority.

The purpose of this writing style is sometimes to feel as though you are saying something profound when you haven't got much more than a puddle to draw on, or, as I suspect in the case of Puuri, may actually have some depth but are more interested in saying something that is cryptic, purely for the joy of pulling your chain.

If puuri writes something you don't get, and you have read enough to know a bit about the english language, have enough self respect to ignore the dribble and see if there is anything worthwhile in there. If there isn't, don't walk away thinking you missed out on something profound. You probably didn't.

For the life of me, I can't comprehend why someone would want to talk, think or write unintelligible gibberish, but the world is big enough for all of us.
    Xanthorrea

yeah rick, I reckon give "real life" another shot!

I recently quit (deactivated my account) FB (if thats ever really possible) and the way I feel right now, Im not likely to post on this or any other forum...much.

I find my life being overrun by the stupidity of stupid posts and the so forth, which are always, always close at hand.

Its fresh air and sunshine for me.

Hi Bernie, Good to hear from you.
    This my only venture into 'social media' if that's what you call it. There are always some who don't know how to behave, and some who do but don't.
    I refuse to allow the wreckers to win. I have no one on ignore but ignore quite a few mostly because they are the dregs, and show it.
    The WBF offers far more than a few unpleasant nongs, so don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

I came here years ago , the Bilge , to learn a bit about US politics and in that it has been very informative . The nongs don't worry me, they exist, we know they exist and their posts illustrate the shallowness of their philosophies. I wouldn't be here if I didn't enjoy the "company" of the friends I've made here. My cup is well over half full.

Above decks is very good indeed !

and Hi Bernie !!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Stop kvetching ....it is THE BILGE.

If there was a remarkable thing, it is that the scholarship and erudition counters to some degree the more bilge like content.

It's usually entertaining and rarely bitter or vituperative.

Upstairs is ace, and truly informative.

Whats a bit scary is if a visit is probably 20 minutes or so, personally speaking , a couple of times most days,, and a response to a post is similar...., 2500 posts, a typical member's tally, excepting those of you with tens of thousands, represents say, about 100 24 hour days , or, say, 300 working days, .....

Nearly a year, not building or using boats.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Ah purri, just ignore the troll, hard to do at first, but man if done right, they really really hate that.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

As for other fora, I was thinking of ditching Facebook until I discovered a group named Christian Conservatives for Trump. It's worth keeping a FB account just for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Stuff ebbs and flows, but the trend over time for me is that there is no other forum that delivers the goods remotely as well. Even accounting for the sludge.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Ah purri, just ignore the troll, hard to do at first, but man if done right, they really really hate that.
    And its a real hoot to look in and watch all you like minds frail around and standing by, looking for someone to attack with threads targeting the very people you claim to be ignoring. Yes since you no longer have college campuses to march in lock step on demand from commie professors for all your perceived causes, so the bilge has become nothing more than a safe space for privileged old white one percenters.

Its fresh air and sunshine for me.
    And being on a boat adds another level of enjoyment that so many here continue to miss out on
    WBF=DNC Annex

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    As for other fora, I was thinking of ditching Facebook until I discovered a group named Christian Conservatives for Trump. It's worth keeping a FB account just for that.

Aha, so you found a self satirical show that doesn't realise it.
    Gold!

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Aha, so you found a self satirical show that doesn't realise it.
    Gold!

It took me a couple of days to read all the comments on one single meme post. It was literally breathtaking. I'm glad I have my asthma treatment inhaler to relieve the acute stress on my lungs. It brought me to tears a couple of times. To think I nearly missed out on the awakenings.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by erster View Post
    And its a real hoot to look in and watch all you like minds frail around and standing by, looking for someone to attack with threads targeting the very people you claim to be ignoring. Yes since you no longer have college campuses to march in lock step on demand from commie professors for all your perceived causes, so the bilge has become nothing more than a safe space for privileged old white one percenters.

And being on a boat adds another level of enjoyment that so many here continue to miss out on
    One percenters ??? How many fence posts have you ever dug and rammed up ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by erster View Post

Apart from one percenters being the chosen self-moniker of Hell's Angels after some comment about good and bad bikers back in 1950 Hollister.....

I'd bet the demographic of wooden boat owners is exactly that .... priveleged old white, mostly male though not exclusively.... Do you have a problem with that?
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Wasn't always so, I remember one participant when I first joined whose wooden boat was a 6 hour canoe, the materials for which were carefully collected. Florida somewhere I think.

do you include the words 'woodenboat forum' in your google search?
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I'm not entirely sure i understand your OP. Lack of data mining?

But your thread question is something i've contemplated.
    A google search of many of the problems i have with my boat rarely points to the WBF - mostly cruiser forums. When i have wooden boat specific questions i tend to ask them directly here.
    I think the Bilge gives a very skewed perspective of the WBF - largely the reality of the forum is more open minded, generous and supportive.
    I'm aware of the link to a commercial enterprise, but i don't feel it imposes itself on the forum.

Broadly, i would say i do not know of a viable alternative to the WBF when it comes to informed advice about the ownership, construction and care for wooden boats.

The tabloid comments sections might be alternatives for the Bilge sometimes. Or a trip down to the pub a few evenings a week.

There is an elephant in the room that Purri knows and isn't asking. Considering the international topics of the day and Zuckerberg in front of Congress and placing it into a micro level ...I have recently all these threads on the how many of you are quitting Facebook due to business practices of data mining and selling of our information in the user agreement.

Let's break it down even further We know Scot makes money on on advertising and the click throughs on those banners below.. The bigger question... is Scot selling the data collected on us and how do you feel about it considering we here did not sign a release for that?
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 04-12-2018 at 07:18 AM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Humour and proportion gentlemen and women. Humour and proportion and a healthy dose of cynicism.

And a nod to whoever is collecting our info. here and could you send along some really good malt by way of commission?

(Cross post Ted, I don't really mind, but if I was considering a trip to the US I'd be a bit concerned about a visa, given my stated views on the present admin.)

scot? or woodenboat magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    There is an elephant in the room that Purri knows and isn't asking. Considering the international topics of the day and Zuckerberg in front of Congress and placing it into a micro level ...I have recently all these threads on the how many of you are quitting Facebook due to business practices of data mining and selling of our information in the user agreement.

Let's break it down even further We know Scot makes money on on advertising and the click throughs on those banners below.. The bigger question... is Scot selling the data collected on us and how do you feel about it considering we here did not sign a release for that?

I have no problem with the 'capitalist enterprise' aspects; as such things go the WoodenBoat empire is pretty positive.

Data-mining is the latest selection from the Terror Of The Month Club. Has it had any real effects on you personally? Think about it carefully. No, me neither. Anything you put online will eventually become public, with very few exceptions Your data has been mined. Get used to it.

Acrimony comes and goes, and at present it reflects the fractious state of US politics.. I can only control what I do myself; others do what they want. Some people aren't worth bothering with. I find a well-populated ignore list helps.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 04-12-2018 at 07:37 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

scot? or woodenboat magazine?
    wooden boat does not own this forum. Any content you share using this photo app and posts are now owned by Scot. And any data and content he has can be held or resold for any purpose he may have.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 04-12-2018 at 07:31 AM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Stop kvetching ....it is THE BILGE.
    Yawl got that right.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

wooden boat does not own this forum.
    The privacy statement for the forum claims that Woodenboat Publications owns this forum. Woodenboat Publications is not scot.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Apart from one percenters being the chosen self-moniker of Hell's Angels after some comment about good and bad bikers back in 1950 Hollister.....

I'd bet the demographic of wooden boat owners is exactly that .... priveleged old white, mostly male though not exclusively.... Do you have a problem with that?
    Unlike the rich here that cannot see the forest for the trees and camped out complaining about the rich guys and the "disproportioned wealth", I don't have a problem with the wealthy. That's what I laugh about.
    WBF=DNC Annex

The privacy statement for the forum claims that Woodenboat Publications owns this forum. Woodenboat Publications is not scot.
    The forum is operated by Scot as a seperate entity as I understand it. Woodenboat Publications owns the URL registration but releases the forum to the operator of the site in an agreement.

The forum is operated by Scot as a seperate entity. as I understand it. Woodenboat Publications owns the URL registration but releases the forum to the operator of the site in an agreement.
    Where did you get this understanding from? Did scot share this with you? Woodenboat? lefty? Sailing Anarchy?