Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NHL playoffs

Default NHL playoffs

Figured there'd be a thread by now, but there isn't, so I'll start it off.

Our Jets just won their first against Minnesota... and it's their first playoff win ever, even counting their days in Atlanta, so it's pretty sweet. They finished second in the league, and they look like solid Cup contenders if they can make it past President's Trophy-winning Nashville in the second round.

I know some of you will be following along - JoP, who do you like for the Cup this year?

What are you doing about it?

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Default Re: NHL playoffs

Jets looked good. I’ll be at the game Friday.

I would like the Jets to win it all, but agree that the Predators should make it to the finals. The east is harder to pick. As a Canucks fan it’s hard to cheer for them, but I can see the Bruins meeting the Preds for the Cup. That said, goaltending and injuries to key defencemen usually determine the finalists.

Living in St. Louis all those years it was always a reliable prediction to state that the Blues wouldn't win the Cup, but it was also a reliable prediction to state that they'd make the playoffs. Surprised they aren't in there this year...

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Jets looked good. I’ll be at the game Friday.
    Really! Can I buy you dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by Puttputt View Post
    I would like the Jets to win it all, but agree that the Predators should make it to the finals.
    Can't have both.

(For those who don't follow it, assuming they both make it to the second round, one of them will eliminate the other.)

The east is harder to pick. As a Canucks fan it’s hard to cheer for them, but I can see the Bruins meeting the Preds for the Cup. That said, goaltending and injuries to key defencemen usually determine the finalists.
    Yeah, Boston or Tampa look likely for the east, although Toronto would be interesting. Can you imagine a Winnipeg-Toronto final? Canada would definitively lose its ****.

And spot on re defencemen. I'm hoping Matthieu Perrault will be back in the lineup on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    Living in St. Louis all those years it was always a reliable prediction to state that the Blues wouldn't win the Cup, but it was also a reliable prediction to state that they'd make the playoffs. Surprised they aren't in there this year...

Jeff C
    One point out of a wild-card spot, I think. The regular season had a pretty wild finish.

I don't care who wins as long as the penguins lose.
    (c'mon Philly! Please make a 7-game series of it! Please oh please oh please!)

My bracket has Vegas with the cup, but that coin-toss could easily have gone Winterpeg instead. Either team will handle whatever comes out of the East, but I suspect that will be Boston.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

My wife was born in Winnipeg, so she is excited about the great year the Jets have had. It’s time to make the Weakerthans eat their words:

“The Guess Who sucked, the Jets were lousy anyway”

Not this year buddy!

I think John K. was employing a voice other than his own when he wrote that one...

7-0? Really?

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Yeah, that was a bit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Figured there'd be a thread by now, but there isn't, so I'll start it off.

Our Jets just won their first against Minnesota... and it's their first playoff win ever, even counting their days in Atlanta, so it's pretty sweet. They finished second in the league, and they look like solid Cup contenders if they can make it past President's Trophy-winning Nashville in the second round.

I know some of you will be following along - JoP, who do you like for the Cup this year?
    I'd love to see the Jets take it. The former Atlanta head coach turned the job down when the team moved. He told me he'd rather eat **** than live in Winnipeg. A cup win would be sweet.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I don't care who wins as long as the penguins lose.
    (c'mon Philly! Please make a 7-game series of it! Please oh please oh please!)

My bracket has Vegas with the cup, but that coin-toss could easily have gone Winterpeg instead. Either team will handle whatever comes out of the East, but I suspect that will be Boston.
    If last night’s game is any indication the winner of the LA/Vegas series will be so beaten up they won’t survive the second round.
    Last edited by Puttputt; 04-12-2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typo

7-0.... Many teams make the playoffs carried on the back of their goaltender. The flyers dragged their goaltending corps kicking and screaming into the playoffs.

Elliot is waaaay past his prime, and coming back off injury is nowhere near playoff-sharp. I was shocked that he got the start last night. IMHO he should be watching from the pressbox.
    Mrazek is a total headcase. Some nights he's sharp, then something gets in his head and he's a mess.
    Lyon is a fairly solid kid (watched him well during his Yale years, his positioning and mechanics are excellent), but as an AHL rookie he's truly a kid, nowhere near ready for NHL playoff time. Still Lyon may give the team a better chance than Mrazek.

7-0....
    Yeah, that Crosby guy is something - Mr. Hat Trick.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    I'd love to see the Jets take it. The former Atlanta head coach turned the job down when the team moved. He told me he'd rather eat **** than live in Winnipeg. A cup win would be sweet.
    Indeed. Some of the best fans in the league, and for the first time in the new Jets' history, a team to match. We're all quite pleased with Paul Maurice, and the folks who questioned Kevin Cheveldayoff seem to be coming around, too.

I just love watching this team play. They're big, they're fast, they're skilled (it's marvelous how puck handling has come along in the last fifteen years!), they're determined, and they will beat their opponents no matter what kind of game they want to play. And they're young, so many of them are getting that playoff wonder for the first time. I am not an envious person by nature, but I think I would enjoy that experience! Even Oystagirl's getting into it.
    Last edited by Flying Orca; 04-12-2018 at 11:21 AM.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Really! Can I buy you dinner?
    I wish...my bad...not Friday. Friend bought playoff tix but gave me the wrong date...our tix are Tuesday in St Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    I wish...my bad...not Friday. Friend bought playoff tix but gave me the wrong date...our tix are Tuesday in St Paul.
    Ah, well, that's a bit far to go for dinner unless there's a big EBS happening. Sorry to miss you, but I hope you enjoy the game!

tap tap tap.... Helloooo? Caps???

Wakey-wakey time, boys!

At least it was an OT loss. Flyers fans must be mortified.

I hope so. Never thought i’d say it, but Figment choosing Vegas to go all the way may turn out to be one of the best long shot picks in pro sports history.

I hope so. Never thought i’d say it, but Figment choosing Vegas to go all the way may turn out to be one of the best long shot picks in pro sports history.
    I think they're a long shot to get past Winnipeg. And judging by last night's game, that's who they'll be facing in the conference final. My prediction for this series was Jets in six; that might have been pessimistic.

I'd like to see more shots from the Jets, but they don't lose their cool, they have absolute and justified faith in their netminder, and at the end of the night, it's the ones that go in that count.

Pens are gonna do it again. 4 potent lines, good goaltending, and Chris Letang.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Woodward View Post
    It's only game one, they have to win four.
    Oh, for sure. But I like their chances. Last night they played very well and took a convincing road win against what might well be the toughest competition of the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    Pens are gonna do it again. 4 potent lines, good goaltending, and Chris Letang.
    I'd love to see a Jets-Penguins final. (And isn't it "Kris"?)

Watch Letang the next time a winger comes into the zone, fakes towards the boards and the makes a quick move to the slot. He is so hobbled from his last injury that he has trouble making the turn. He’s been on the ice for a lot of goals against lately.

Jets score four in the second period...upset in the making?

They're looking pretty good. The fly-by was good and loud, too - our house is about eight blocks from the arena!

(For some reason, this thread wouldn't come up on search, so I inadvertently started another one, but I just deleted it. As I said there, though, if you're not watching this game, you are missing some outstanding hockey.)

Jets score four in the second period...upset in the making?
    Not sure it would be an upset, really. They went one and two in the regular season, and they are very evenly matched. It's a comeback, but I wouldn't call it an upset if they win; frankly, I'm expecting the Jets to take the series.

I sure hope so. It could well come down to Hellebuyck vs Rinne.

I sure hope so. It could well come down to Hellebuyck vs Rinne.
    I'll take Hellebuyck all day in that match-up.

Winnipeg and Nashville all tied up at 4-4. What a game!
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Powerplay goal.

5-4 Jets!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

7-4 final.

Winnipeg's offense is explosive. And they play pretty clean.

Kevin

Hard to contain, for sure.

I'm kind of gutted that I may not see the rest of this series after Thursday's game four, and will miss the beginning of the next as well. Even if I try, I'm not sure I can stay up til midnight or one in the morning to watch a game, and we're going to be in the UK for the next couple of weeks.