Thread: Continental Sloop Providence

Default Continental Sloop Providence

This sloop was the first command of John Paul Jones in the Continental navy 1776 Providence also boasts of the first amphibious landing by the U.S.M.C. My scratch built model is now complete and the images are of the vessel uncased. Aboard are 12 crew men . Can you identify what each crewmen is doing. ( more images could be posted if stuck) My rendition is the Sloop coming into a friendly port after a successful cruise capturing or sinking British ships ( 40 in all)

Jack Dillon

A little history while Capt. Rathbun was the skipper.
    Rathbun was promoted to Captain in April 1777 and given command of the sloop Providence upon which he had participated in an American attack on New Providence in 1776. Rathbun took Providence back to the Bahamas on the night of 27 January 1778. Rathbun approached Nassau disguised as a trading sloop and anchored offshore in darkness. Twenty-six marines under command of Captain John Trevett went ashore by boat with a scaling ladder. They climbed Fort Nassau's 22-foot walls with the ladder and overpowered the two guards before daybreak. The Marines then continued sending the guards' periodic "All is well" call to guards outside of the fort while repositioned the fort's 18-pound cannon to cover parts of the city and harbor from which reinforcements might arrive. Dawn found the American stars and stripes flying over conquered enemy territory for the first time since the Continental Congress approved the flag. While his remaining marines patrolled the wall in full view of the city, Trevett sent three Marines to Fort Montague with a claim that a force of 230 Marines held Fort Nassau. Fort Montague surrendered, and Marines spiked the cannon and poured the gunpowder into the sea. Twenty-four American merchant seamen came forward to assist. The Americans had been stranded in Nassau when their ships had been captured by privateers. The American merchant seamen were sent into the harbor to demand surrender of five ships lying under the guns of Fort Nassau. Rathbun brought Providence into harbor in the early afternoon, and loaded all Fort Nassau's gunpowder and 300 small arms. Rathbun departed on the morning of 30th, with three captured ships manned by the American merchant seamen, after spiking the guns of Fort Nassau and burning the two ships he could not man. No blood had been shed.[1]
    Action At SeaProvidence 3.jpg
    Providence 4.jpgProvidence 5.jpgProvidence 12.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Default Re: Continental Sloop Providence

Lovely model, Mr. Dillon. In a hopefully slight drift only, I have a print of a painting by William Gilkerson of the Providence:

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

MMD Thanks for posting the painting. I had never seen that one. This one is more familiar but I wonder why any captain would fly the flag would be hoProvidence paint F.Holman.jpgstead from a pole on the stern. I seems to me the first gybe or even tack would send pole & flag overboard. Especially when engaging in an action when either maneuver could be executed at any time to gain an advantage.
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

MMD Thanks for posting the painting. I had never seen that one. This one is more familiar but I wonder why any captain would fly the flag would be hoProvidence paint F.Holman.jpgstead from a pole on the stern. I seems to me the first gybe or even tack would send pole & flag overboard. Especially when engaging in an action when either maneuver could be executed at any time to gain an advantage.

Senior ole Salt # 650

J. Dillon
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Do you know the dimensions of the actual boat and what the scale of the model is? Good one for sure!
    Jay

As to activities of the men on deck I think I see:
    Quartermaster at the con
    Someone manning a swivel gun
    A man in the chains swinging the lead
    Bow lookout
    A man unbowsing the anchor
    Man at mid-boom taking up on the topping lift?
    Officer of the deck midships

Can't make out the rest.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

The replica ( now being restored in VA) was 66'9" long. and built to USCG regulations etc.The model is built to 1/4"=1'

Alex, you did very good in identifying the crew activities.

Pictured will be of some help but the images didn't quite catch all of the crew. The Midshipman does not show up so good. Or the sailor preparing to loosen the anchor fluke lashings

A bit more detail

The Providence is sailing close hauled in a force 4 wind, tacking into a friendly port after a successful cruise capturing, raiding, taking prizes and sinking British ships ranging from the East coast to the Bahamas.

Depicted aboard the Providence's on deck, starting at the bow are :

Main deck

1.Portside a sailor prepares to haul on the jib down haul.
    2. The ships Bo'son is loosening the fluke lashings of the anchor to let it hang from the stb cathead ready to drop.
    3.Port side sailor is preparing to loosen the jib halliard. Both will later furl this sail and tend the windlass as the cable pays out. The fore sail will be left hoisted to aid in steering when executing this maneuver.
    4. Stb side amid ships a midshipmen moves fwd. to supervise those forward.
    5. Stb side The lookout has descended from furling the topsail and is pointing to something he's sighted ahead.
    6.A leadsman is casting the lead to determine the depths.

The quarterdeck crew

7.Port side hands-on railing is the First lieutenant John Peck Rathbun. He listens closely to the leadsman reports.
    8.Port side A sailor finishes belaying the running back stay. As the ship has just finished coming over to the port tack. A dog is at his feet, taken off one of the prizes.
    9.Standing on the grating sailor prepares to "dip the colors " to a senior ship and captain just ahead.
    10. Stb. side a US Marine( enlisted) is preparing to fire a swivel gun for a salute.
    11.The quartermaster is steering the Providence.
    12. Aft of all is Captain John Paul Jones. ( described as "prickly") He's confident of his crew and could be figuring out his share of prize money.

Jones later recalled the Providence was his favorite command. This sloop was considered "Lucky" The British dispatched vessels expressly to sink, capture, or destroy the Providence.

She was later burned by the crew to prevent capture by the British in the Penobscot expedition (the worse naval disaster before Pearl Harbor.) link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penobscot_Expedition

JD
    Providence crew ID # 1 lettered.jpgProvidence crew # 2 ID lettered.jpgProvidence ID # 3 lettered.jpg
    Senior Ole Salt # 650

Thanks for the explanation of crew activities Jack. I totally missed the dog.

It's a nice little vignette. It shows well just how small these boats really were for the activities they carried out.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Really nice job. I do appreciate that it's made to tell a story, as opposed to a "this is what it looked like" model.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by J. Dillon View Post

Senior ole Salt # 650

J. Dillon
    And besides that, exactly which way is the wind blowing here?
    -Dave

A mighty fine model!

Hats off!
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Great job! You have so much talent in so many areas and have made the most of it over the years. Really enjoy seeing what you have up your sleeve as you continue to expand your talents .
    Happy trails to you.

Great model, Jack. Such detail. Thanks for sharing.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Beautiful job Jack!

(I have been curious what became of the reproduction. You answered that. - I think it was “Sandy” that knocked her off her jack stands and punching one of them through her hull.)