Thread: Mast climbing gear in Aus?

Default Mast climbing gear in Aus?

Hi all, especially the Aussie crew. I need to get to the top of my mast on my own. I have seen a few shackle systems around. Was just wondering if anyone had any direct experience and where to buy?
    Cheers steve

Default Re: Mast climbing gear in Aus?

Steve, Google SRT, single rope technique. Not advisable under way or in a rocky anchorage/mooring but a reasonable way to get up your mast on your own on a halyard without someone on a winch below you.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Or e.g. "jumar climbing", can be done with just prusic knots too...

/Mats
    Yes the avatar depicts me; yes I drew the comic boat pic, it's a joke on the pop song I'm not a robot by Marina and the diamonds

Those of us who have made and used prusic knots certainly know their value for short climbs and for some belays but the prusic is most tiring if you must go up a forty foot stick.

If your local chandelries and marine catalogs have no jummar type ascenders, turn to your vibrant mountaineering community.

You always need two ascenders and either a sit harness or a modern keeps you in bo's'n's chair. For mountaineering you generally have two seperate footloops, one from each ascender, with one of the ascenders also attached to your harness. Many, perhaps less fit, yachties find it better to make a double loop from the upper ascender and the harness attachment to the lower. You sit, pull your legs up, push the upper ascender as high as you can, and then use the power of both legs to stand up pulling the lower ascender as you go. Actually comfortable.

Another dodge you can use, if both the halyard's fall and hoist are on the same face of the mast, is to tie your harness to one end of the halyard and put the ascenders at the other, again with the lower ascender also clipped close to your harness. You will need a block at deck level or certainly by the gooseneck so you can take the free end of the halyard through that and up with a bit of tension to your harness.

Now when you climb it's only half the effort, albeit at half the speed. The big advantage I found to this is that since I also keep a descending ring on my harness, it was easy to make a little slack in the fall side to enable me to get a loop on the descending ring, take the strain off the ascenders, and enjoy a matter of great gravity.

Whatever you do:

DO NOT CLIMB MORE THAN A COUPLE OF FEET BEFORE YOU FIRST TRY TO CLIMB DOWN. HAVE SOMEONE AT HAND TO SPOT AND ASSIST YOU THAT FIRST TIME !!!

G'luck

A Tibloc from Petzl is a good compromise for an ascender. I Ascend a rope with a tibloc at my waist, a autoblock at head level with a foot loop, and a rappel device in between (not rigged when ascending, but ready to go). This works with a single strand only. For two strands you can use two autoblocks , or a Petzl Shunt at the waist. You should use nylon for an autoblock, not dyneema. An autoblock is far more easy to use than a prussik. If you only have cord and no webbing, a kliemhiest is better than a prussik, which tends to bind. As said above, practice the transition from ascender to rappel at the ground.

I can imagine rock climbing gear being cheaper than any marine equivalent.

The only time ive used them was after a 40m bridge swing off the Batman bridge to get back up to the bridge, exhilarating but tiring.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thank you gents for all your replies! You have certainly got me in the right track. I found this guy in New Zealand but his currently not selling any due to an upgrade by the looks of it. http://aloftalone.com/product/aloft-alone-kit/
    im thinking I will bring this page into a rock climbers gym and they will sort me out. Photos from aloft to come

About 20 bucks...

prusik.jpg

Will not crack if you drop them, easy to inspect, not more tiring than Jumars, but technique is everything no matter what you choose.

Just whip the ends on to the standing part until you really know what a barrel knot is .

A good idea to tie the bottom tail off at the base of the mast with a few feet of slack; this way you won't swing away from the mast too far, thus re-encountering it at speed .*

* Only really applies when boat is moving.

I was used to climb with petzl equipment, safe and cheap.
    But the switec mast lift came along with Anthéa.:
    https://swi-tec.ch/en/108-mast-ascension

Very smart system! And very easy to use.
    Not inexpensive though.
    Last edited by Rapelapente; 04-11-2018 at 04:28 PM.
    Gerard.
    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.goelette-anthea.fr

Quote Originally Posted by Rapelapente View Post
    I was used to climb with petzl equipment, safe and cheap.
    But the switec mast lift came along with Anthéa.:
    https://swi-tec.ch/en/108-mast-ascension

Very smart system! And very easy to use.
    Not inexpensive though.
    hmmm. That's essentially a block and tackle

Yes, with lines instead of chains.
    Very well built device. Swiss made.
    Gerard.
    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.goelette-anthea.fr

Quote Originally Posted by Rapelapente View Post
    Yes, with lines instead of chains.
    Very well built device. Swiss made.