Thread: Whisp Building Photos (and Oars, too)

Default Whisp Building Photos (and Oars, too)

I have started documenting my building of Steve Redmond's Whisp skiff with photos. The project is nowhere near complete, but photos of what progress I have made so far are posted <here> and will be updated periodically.

This is my first attempt at plywood lapstrake constuction, so my approach may not be the best way, or even very good. But Redmond's building notes are terse, so maybe other inexperienced builders can get some benefit from seeing me stumble through the process.

Sample photo:

I also have photos of some sassafras oars I built for Whisp, <here>

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Re: Whisp Building Photos (and Oars, too)

I like the bead at the bottom of that top strake. You going to leave that strake bright?
    I think its better to leave the grips on your oars naked (no varnish or paint), but they look really nice!

Looks like you're doing a great job.
    Well done.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I think its better to leave the grips on your oars naked (no varnish or paint), but they look really nice!

Well done.
    Just so.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Very nice! I always loved Whisp, and admire Redmond's clever method of gluing up the lapstrake sides flat before bending them into place. Keep the photos coming.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Very nice blog!

I sent a PM asking for permission to use one of your photos.

Thank you in advance for considering.

My best wishes,
    Stefan

Re OP “Redmond's building notes are terse”. Do you have Ultralight Boatbuilding by Thomas J Hill?

The book uses the building of Charlotte (11’6” canoe) and Flapjack (14ft lapstrake skiff by Redmond which is very similar to Whisp) throughout the text.

and you can never have enough books about building wooden boats (not sure they all need a chapter on tools though)

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I like the bead at the bottom of that top strake. You going to leave that strake bright?

Well done.
    The hull planking will be painted inside and out, The transom is a nice piece of cherry, so I may leave some of that bright along with the deck, wales, and seat frames.

As for the varnished oar grips - if they cause me problems, I will scrape it off.

Quote Originally Posted by tink View Post
    Re OP “Redmond's building notes are terse”. Do you have Ultralight Boatbuilding by Thomas J Hill?

The book uses the building of Charlotte (11’6” canoe) and Flapjack (14ft lapstrake skiff by Redmond which is very similar to Whisp) throughout the text.

and you can never have enough books about building wooden boats (not sure they all need a chapter on tools though)
    I do have Tom Hill's book and Ian Oughtred's as well ("Clinker Plywood Boatbuilding Manual"). Both of those builders use much more elaborate building jigs, so they don't address one of the main head scratchers presented when Redmond advises to "...assemble hull sides to stem and transom, using moulds #3 and #5 and whatever system of clamping is convenient." But otherwise, both books are excellent, and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by flo-mo View Post
    Very nice blog!

I sent a PM asking for permission to use one of your photos.

Thank you in advance for considering.

My best wishes,
    Stefan
    I believe I have answered your PM (?)

It's looking good. I never tire of taking my Whisp out. Are you going to add the sailing rig, or will this be strictly for rowing?
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    It's looking good. I never tire of taking my Whisp out. Are you going to add the sailing rig, or will this be strictly for rowing?
    Probably won't build the sailing parts anytime soon. My entire life experience with sailing consists of about 2 hours in a very small boat as part of a college phys.ed. class. Early spring, it was cold and blustery, and I was terrified! Also, I don't really care for the way Redmond's chosen sail looks - that club thing just doesn't look right to me. Purely an esthetic objection - and I'm not smart enough to substitute another rig.

I do look forward to some oar-powered gunkholing, but what I am really excited about is crusing the shore line of local lakes under electric power!

Quote Originally Posted by runswithsizzers View Post
    Probably won't build the sailing parts anytime soon. My entire life experience with sailing consists of about 2 hours in a very small boat as part of a college phys.ed. class. Early spring, it was cold and blustery, and I was terrified! Also, I don't really care for the way Redmond's chosen sail looks - that club thing just doesn't look right to me. Purely an esthetic objection - and I'm not smart enough to substitute another rig.

I do look forward to some oar-powered gunkholing, but what I am really excited about is crusing the shore line of local lakes under electric power!
    My father-in-law built my Whisp up in Maine in 1986, and that's exactly how he used it. I still have the Mini-Kota trolling motor he used -- he cut down the shaft to put the tiller at a comfortable height. That small motor and one deep-cycle battery was all he needed for a pleasant afternoon. It is important to put the battery amidships to keep her trimmed out correctly.
    -Dave

I've updated my Whisp Skiff building blog to show the transom and bottom have been installed. There are about 8 new photos added which you can see if you <click here> and scroll down to the bottom.

I built Whisp with a friend 30 years ago, and I had just read Tom Hill's book. I was also surprised that the Whisp should be constructed 'instant boat' style, with 2 molds. It was for me also the first clinker experience. We never got her sailing and much later I saw a Whisp completed in Beale Park, so I asked the owner/builder how she sailed, but it was the first time he had her out and had not yet had the time for trials. Looking forward to see pics of your boat sailing.

I've updated my photo blog - building Whisp with a few new photos. The boat is now right-side-up and I'm fitting out the interior. The newer photos start with this one:

... fitting the skeg ... and the new photos also include fitting the deck and quarter knees.

The building page is located here <my Whisp building site>
    Last edited by runswithsizzers; 05-21-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Nice!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.