Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extra-tall marine rolling fold-back jack? Need 800lb that extends 16"-24"

Default Re: Extra-tall marine rolling fold-back jack? Need 800lb that extends 16"-24"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ize=1418%2C932

Is that the boat and trailer Thorne?

Default Re: Extra-tall marine rolling fold-back jack? Need 800lb that extends 16"-24"

Is that her Thorne?

Cannot see any problem that could cause any worry if so.

Let the trailer tyres down whilst hooked up/supported for'd, everything should run aft then.
    Last edited by Chippie; 04-12-2018 at 01:50 PM.

With a light boat like that you could just push it forward to get the dolly up on one of these:

-Dave

If you can live with a bit less clearance under the tongue when the jack is folded up, then it should be fairly easy to fabricate a bracket that would permit the whole jack to be attached lower - essentially below the tongue level.

Attachment 13983[/QUOTE]

Wait till i get some sailing pictures -- this is the boring stuff! ;-)

The Whale pump has a pickup tube down to the bilge, but it's only mounted a few inches from the bottom anyway. It's getting the water that far aft with the boat sitting on the trailer that is the issue. I just leveled it with new keel rollers, and can't lower the aft roller without having the front part of the keel stick up in the air off the rollers along the tongue. Considering the amount of trailering that I do, I really want this boat sitting level on the trailer, so the support is evenly distributed along the entire keel, not just the aft section.

I'll try to get some better photos so this won't be so puzzling to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Love your boat, Thorne. Color me seriously jealous! Thanks for the FB link. Might it be possible to install a pick-up tube from the pump down to the bilge, just aft of the CB trunk? Seems like that's where you'll want the pick-up when you're in the water anyway? Would be a "two-birds" solution.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin;5531280[COLOR=#ff0000
    ]I am still not comprehending the problem[/COLOR] because we had a similar problem when we used our two horse trailer for other projects where being able to tilt the rear down mattered.

I'd just wind down the fixed jack till it lifted the hitch from the ball and then as much further (<3") it would lift the tongue. After driving the truck out of the way, I'd block up under the tongue, lower the jack till the tongue rested on the blocking, and then wind the jack as far as apossible. Then I'd block under the jack and wind it full length again. Then more blocking under the tongue. And so on till I met my tilt goal.

Because the jack and the tongue were pretty close, my ground tier of balks was a pair running fore and aft long enough to get under both spots and spaced to let the jack work. From there up, balks were added in a pattern like open cribbing for stability. Sometimes I accelerated things by putting a first pad under the fully retracted jack, which would give me another 2" that step.

It never dawned on me to solve the problem by spending money on a longer travel jack or on a second jack.

G'luck

Ian was quite clear from the onset Thorne.

"Is that her Thorne?"

"Cannot see any problem that could cause any worry if so." #38

Well??

After numerous efforts it looks like we will have something to work on by you saying "
    I'll try to get some better photos so this won't be so puzzling to everyone."

Chin up. :-)
    Last edited by Chippie; 04-13-2018 at 04:53 AM.

Thanks, I'm just a caretaker at this point, all the work was done by the builder Mr. Brown and previous owner.

The pump has an intake tube that goes right down to the bilge, and is mounted only inches about the bilge anyway. I'll tilt it back tomorrow to determine how much lift I need to center the water on the pump intake -- and get some better photos.
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

The requirements.
    Safety first. You don't want it to fall over if you tilt and turn the trailer, so no block under the wheel.
    Mounted on the trailer frame, no box of heavy junk to schlep around and assemble.
    Secondary jack on opposite side is OK. Presumably too long to swing down until the other one provides clearance.

The longest stroke for a manual swivel mount jack seems to be around 15".
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jac.../BD151464.html

• Bracket height:
      • Retracted: 16"
      • Extended: 31"

• Total lift: 15"

No wheel, so maybe not so good, but the original has a wheel.

Harking back to the Red Green solution You can still use a block under the wheel to gain more lift as long as the secondary support locks down safely.
    Attachment 14018?
    The secondary does not have to be a jack, it just has to telescope and lock with a pin. I'll leave designing the clamp to the trailer frame to you.

https://www.discountsteel.com/items/...quare_Tube.cfm
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

I saw this and thought of you Thorne!

There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-few-questions

So can we now assume that this is the boat in question Thorne??

If so she appears to be near enough to her float lines as dammit anyway?

Yes, it is a CY and she floats pretty level from what I can tell. Still struggling with how to mount the outboard higher, will let the jack issue wait for awhile.