Thread: Iain Outhgred 16 foot beaver canoe

Default Iain Outhgred 16 foot beaver canoe

Has anyone built an Iain Oughtred 16 foot Beaver canoe using lapstraked ply construction?

Default Re: Iain Outhgred 16 foot beaver canoe

Saw one at the Beale Park Show once (UK). Looked really nice. Built glued lapstrake. I'll dig through my cameras and see if I can find any pictures.

Somewhere on a pod cast Iain was asked why someone would build glued lapstrake vs stitch and glue.

I paraphrase but his answer was along the lines of ‘well you invest a lot of time and money in building your boat and they take about the same amount of time so why not’

I think that photo is demonstrats that point well, though obviously it doesn’t give an indication of the time taken.

Found them...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I remember picking it up quicky to see how heavy it was and it was usefully light. It looked fabulous.

(note: photos require you to be logged in to see them as they are uploaded to WBF)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 04-11-2018 at 03:16 AM.

Thanks for the replies.
    Yes, Mr Google found this image for me when I started searching, and before I'd heard of this forum.
    According to the caption on the photo it seems that the canoe shown in this image is "
    A 14' 8" version of Iain Oughtred's 16ft Beaver Canoe
    "
    It's a very pretty canoe (though I like mine better )
    So I'm still trying to determine if mine is the first one built using this construction - or at least the first built in Australia.

George,

Is yours 4mm occume? What does it weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    George,

Is yours 4mm occume? What does it weigh?

Hi Edward
    Yes it's 1088 occume at 5mm.
    I haven't tried to weight it but it's surprisingly light, ie I can pick it up, and 2 of us can easily put it on top of the 4WD.
    Do you have one or are you thinking of building one?
    If I can figure a way to weigh it I'll let you know.

George, Welcome to WBF!.. there was a nice old gent in my wooden canoe group, he only build lapstrake canoes. they were works of art. I have a real love of lapstrake boats.. don't know why, but any size type get my attention.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by George Smith View Post

If I can figure a way to weigh it I'll let you know.
    weighed my Canadian on the digital bathroom scales...took it and the scales to a local flat carpark, and with a bit of messing about with a bit of 9mm ply to mimic a smooth floor , a few minutes only really, got a result.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

jonboy,

You forgot to give us the weight?!

Didn't bother as it wasn't similar to ones in the pics.... well similar- ish ..it was maybe twenty years ago and based on Cavendish, an ultralight lapstrake , about 5 metres if I recall, by Tom Hill (?) I remember the name as I lived on Cavendish Rd. It came from a plan originally by someone else but I don't remember who. It came in at about 25 kilos I think... does 60 lbs sound right. maybe lighter ? but bare, no paddles or kit. West System and thinnest mahogany ply.

I loved it but it was maintenance heavy and basically was trashed in about five years. Sorry to say I kept building in wood for the more substantial stuff, and for the roof top / camping / bouncing off rocks/ dragging up scabby beaches I got a hideous awful poly wolly Coleman, but Its bullet proof and I haven't done anything except fit rowlocks and a coat of paint or two in twelve years . Heavy but still only about 30kgs. Me and her can put in the roof of the car without too much grunt. The lapstrake was a good bit lighter. Sorry can't be more precise.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

On the materials front, it's worth saying we have 5mm 5ply Occume here in the Uk from Robbins. I think in most places 5mm would be still 3 ply. The outer veneers are unavoidably thinner on the 5mm 5 ply that I've seen (maybe its sanded 6mm?) but it must make it alot stiffer over 4mm 3 ply.

There is available Sapeli 4mm 5 ply from Robbins, which being hardwood would be more durable and dent resistant in the very long term (though canoes are usually more easily cared for) which although a heavier denser wood actually works out to be the same weight as the 5mm Occume (9kg/ sheet according to Robbins) as an alternative boatbuilding timber for a glued lap canoe or for a sheerstrake accent etc.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 04-12-2018 at 04:02 AM.