Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neighbors

Question Neighbors

What type of neighbor are you ?

What type do you have
    ?

neighbours.jpg
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Default Re: Neighbors

I've got the best neighbors possible. They're all vacation homes very rarely used and out of sight of my house. Absolute quiet around here in the woods.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    What type of neighbor are you ?

What type do you have
    ?

neighbours.jpg
    LOL I don't care who you are that is funny right there. So true.

We are semi rural on acres. The neighbours, with whom we have really good relations, are far enough away and behind the trees.

The type of neighbour I am is one who helps when he can, and who has a live and let live attitude.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

I thought you meant .....

The story of everyday Ozzies or Coronation Street with barbies!

Nick

I was 21, she was 27, hot as ****. Learned about Scotch, mile high fun atop of Mt Washington and how painful love can be.

Glad I don't live wherever the OP's pic was made. I've had neighbors ask about cars seen in the drive (including description & even plate #'s) many, many times & have, of course, done the same thing for them.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

A long time ago I lived in a house that was up 86 steps on one of the old city concrete stairways in Seattle. The house was a little secluded, so I got a German Shepard to guard the place while I was at work. Came home one day to see the dog in the yard playing with a pillow from my bed. Went in the house and the bed was gone, along with all the other furniture in the house. So I asked the neighbors what they saw. "Nothing other than the moving crew and van. We wondered why you didn't tell us you were moving."

I can't really see much of my neighbours from my house, because (and this is kind of funny) the houses are really close together. My kitchen windows look out on one neighbour's back yard (never used) and the park across the back lane; all of our other windows are covered all the time except the front window, and that looks out into a front porch with covered windows.

Ours is not an outward-looking house, really, except for the cats, who favour the kitchen for reasons outlined above.

So no, I don't see or judge my neighbours' visitors. I know and like my neighbours, though, at least the ones on either side (Ivorian and Eritrean, respectively). Guess that will have to do.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    A long time ago I lived in a house that was up 86 steps on one of the old city concrete stairways in Seattle. The house was a little secluded, so I got a German Shepard to guard the place while I was at work. Came home one day to see the dog in the yard playing with a pillow from my bed. Went in the house and the bed was gone, along with all the other furniture in the house. So I asked the neighbors what they saw. "Nothing other than the moving crew and van. We wondered why you didn't tell us you were moving."
    Sorry you had that experience.

Just the sheep !
    Nick

I only have neighbors in the summer. They're OK. They want to borrow stuff a lot.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Sorry you had that experience.
    Thanks for the thought, however it was almost 50 years ago and seems more a funny story now than a tragedy. However the one part that seems more serious now than it did then was the loss of my 1958 Strat and one piece tweed Bassman.

I've got empty lots on either side of me. They make great next-door neighbors.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I'm next to a church on one side, a cemetery across the street and a small auto repair shop on the other side. The church is only on Sundays, the auto repair shop five days a week in at 8 and out by 4. Now, the cemetery is usually quiet but, on moonlit nights, I hear someone snoring.Rumor has it that Col. I Alden, my gggg uncle, had his head removed by Joseph Brant during the Cherry Valley massacre in 1778, that he was interned across the road, dug up sometime over the past 150 yrs. where they misplaced his head never to be found again. I suspect he's the one snoring.
    Last edited by S.V. Airlie; 04-10-2018 at 08:11 PM.

i'm glad cosby's not my neighbor
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i'm glad cosby's not my neighbor
    I don't think you're his type Paul.

I'm surrounded by typical middle class families and retirees, other than the felon across the street. He's one of the best neighbors we have. Because he's sitting on a few decades of jail time if he violates his probation, he makes absolutely sure there's no crime on our block that might even be remotely tied back to him. It's like having a full time security service.

Other than that it's just the elderly swingers, a few families and a retired hippy couple. All good people really.

We had the local illegal bookie in the street we lived in. (I spent my winter term there). Nothing ever happened, you could leave your house unlocked, and we did. We had a telephone and half the street came in the back door to use it and put threepence in the tin. Only once we were burgled by kids from the local tech school, the bookies bodyguards had a severe word to them and it never happened again.

I know everyone in our street and they know me. We are all good friends apart from the crazy lady who has taken it into her head that she can lie about me, abuse me in front of other neighbours and treat me like dirt. I tried talking to her about it and the result is she is no longer on my Christmas Card list. Pity, we were good friends. So I'm the bad neighbour in our street. The rest, apart from one, are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Good neighbours here - one’s my ex, lives with her partner next door. We have teenagers who move back and forth, it’s a good setup. The nice old lady on the other side is moving out though, so we’ll have the neighbour lottery - I’d like a family to buy the place and do it up but we could get an absentee landlord ‘investor’ speculating on the land price increasing and letting the place decay, or quick turn over developers knock the old house down and build three townhouses on the section.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I know everyone in our street and they know me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i know quite a few in the street, though with a few sets of flats and infill housing there are probably two or three hundred people in a relatively short street so I don’t know them all.

We have regular pot luck dinners, for Christmas etc, at the community hall at the end of the street, organised by a group including some Christian hippy types and Green Party community gardeners.

Fields (with a resident pony, plus deer most nights) on two sides; sheltered housing below me at the back, with very quiet elderly people, and the family I bought the plot off to the other side. They are good friends.
    Doors never locked unless I am away on holiday. Next door similar: "we've got a key somewhere but I can't find it!"

I have the neighbors from hell
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

You couldn't do much worse than John Belushi:

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    The problem with watch dogs is that usually they just watch.

My neighbor on the left is a recently-disbarred shyster who becomes a guest of the state next month. My only meaningful interaction in the 7 years we've been here was the time I agreed to let his arborists' trucks use my yard to access some "threatening trees" before the looming hurricane dropped one on his house.
    He neglected to mention that he was only paying them to DROP the trees (downhill, out of sight for him, very much in sight for me), not to finish the job.

My neighbor behind seems to have a hobby of processing firewood after dark.

My neighbor to the right is perfect. Downhill, out of sight, out of mind.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    Why not move?

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    So does Paul.

Neighbours? What's them?

6840owt.jpg
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Neighbor still has Christmas tree out on front porch. We have a pool going for when it will disappear.

Been in this neighborhood for about 3 years now. Post-Divorce house, so smaller and more affordable than the last 15 years. Pretty good mix of working class folks. We decided to throw a neighborhood holiday party. Hard to believe but there were some people there that lived in the 'hood for 15-20 years that had never met people 3 houses away. Kinda sad really. We're all now waving when driving by and talking about a summer neighborhood BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaboatnic View Post
    Been in this neighborhood for about 3 years now. Post-Divorce house, so smaller and more affordable than the last 15 years. Pretty good mix of working class folks. We decided to throw a neighborhood holiday party. Hard to believe but there were some people there that lived in the 'hood for 15-20 years that had never met people 3 houses away. Kinda sad really. We're all now waving when driving by and talking about a summer neighborhood BBQ.
    Well done

I have some folks that just built mcmansions across the street. One will vacuum acorns and the other will blow the equivalent of 100 leaves off his yard on a daily basis. I usually wait till the trees are done dropping leaves mulch and blow them back into the bushes. I am sure it drives them crazy I leave the leaves so long but have been doing it that way for years before they came into the hood. One of them actually came over to rake up my leaves............hey that is fine. They are still nice folks but people with money are pretty funny sometimes.