Thread: how far off are cordless chainsaws

Default how far off are cordless chainsaws

Just bought an 1800 watt electric chainsaw after days of infuriation and frustration with a collection of small two stroke jobs.

messy, smell, noisy, expensive to run, start when they feel like it. OK i'm not talking professional stuff like Stihl or Husquvarna, ...

The electric boy is still only a garden centre/hobby job , but its great, as powerful as any small gas powered, 16", pro size chain teeth, absolutely got it home plugged it in and started work and half the price of the crappy B n D / McCulloch ones

...did more lopping, pruning, small felling, general cleaning in the time it takes to fek around mixing 2T, pulling my bollix to bits trying to start...

next scenario. dragged out of the shed the rotovator. 4 stroke single, maybe 40 cc, dont know, the lable says '3,5 Kw' hasn't been used for a year, is ten years old and gets used two days maybe every year turning over about 200 m2 veggy patch. It started on the third or fourth pull even with last years gas in.

so the obvious is, ... the electric kit is no good out in the field but around the small holding it's fine,. dragging around and tripping over fifty metres of cable is a pain as well

The two stroke chainsaws and strimmers are the proverbial pain in the bum

So are there four stroke chainsaws, or as in the op title , cordless ones ?

small capacity two strokes are henceforth banished from this gaff.

outboards too.

phew . got that off my chest.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Default Re: how far off are cordless chainsaws

They already exist.

https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-to...chainsaws.aspx

The problem is battery life.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Husqvarna too...

'Battery life' as in it soon runs down , or you have to buy a new battery every few months and if its that, what happens when the battery no longer holds it charge and you can't get new ones... Don't know how many cordless drills and screwdrivers I've had and cell phones, for that reason

sorry crossing posts.. that bottom Husqvarna look's the job assuming that's a back pack battery pack ,jack.

Battery life, as in you don't get a lot of run-time out of a battery. In order to run the saw for a day, you'd have to have several batteries, a charger, and a power source. OR... a duffel-bag full of charged batteries.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Or, go manual. Run it until you get tired...

If that's not a joke it's a good idea. but I would see the next development is to rig that up to pedal system, say , from a home gym bike, and a stable saw horse and a great way to chop up felled timber into stove sized lumps

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    If that's not a joke it's a good idea. but I would see the next development is to rig that up to pedal system, say , from a home gym bike, and a stable saw horse and a great way to chop up felled timber into stove sized lumps
    Sorry... it's a joke.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

My local Lumberyard has a Makita. It takes two 18 volt batteries, the same batteries that all their other tools use. It would be fine for cutting a limb, but it is no kind of proper chainsaw.

Buy a Honda generator.

I threw my electric chainsaw in the trash after 30 years. My new pruning saw is a bow saw :-)

regards,
    Joe
    These days, everything I do is just "puttering around"

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    I threw my electric chainsaw in the trash after 30 years. My new pruning saw is a bow saw :-)

regards,
    Joe
    30 years ago, electric chainsaws were pretty crappy, iirc. They are a bit better now.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Oregon PowerNow 16 in. 40-Volt MAX CS300-A6 Chainsaw Kit with 4.0 Ah

Battery

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I run a Husky, and not a cheap one. Reliable, capable, balanced. Used it all day today on big hardwood logs, some green, some very dry and dense.
    I have cheap Chinese backup, temperamental but OK when you are nice to it. Never actually needed it so I start it once a month or so.
    We also run a motorised brush cutter, a decent chipper, and a several generations of mowers all of which work, the latest is self propelled.
    Maintenance seems to be the answer. I had a '52 Landy for years, never let me down but the maintenance was weekly when in use.

DeWalt 60V

My father says you can cut for half an hour with it. So, with 2 batteries in use, that's an hour.

By the time you've cut for an hour, you've probably generated enough firewood to keep you busy for 2 hours splitting, transporting, and stacking. Which is often enough for one day.

This new 60V Li-Ion system is going to replace a lot of gas engines.

Going to be a bit nanny state here, I used to work for one of the major international players in electric garden products. We did develop consumer chainsaws and I viewed it as immoral. We where marketing them at a very accessible price and it was obvious that people where buying them and using them without having any training and the correct safety equipment.

They are very dangerous piece if equipment and should not be made into consumer products.

45cc Husky, good, reliable and starts every time.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Chainsaws are a place where it pays to buy a good one. Mine get pretty regular use, but last for years & years (last one was over 20 when it got stolen).

I looked at electric saws for a friend & learned that they (sensibly) use very thin bars & special chain - to extend battery life. While prices may get better in time, right now the bars & chains for electric saws seem very expensive + being thinner & lighter, they probably won't last as long.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green