Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need A New Flashlight

Default Re: Need A New Flashlight

Looks good. Princeton Tec was my favorite do everything little handheld light in 4aaa using rechargeables or disposables but I seem to have accumulated a few with missing spring contacts and defective leds but they were cheap enough and very waterproof. I don’t find the need for blinding illumination as valuable as long battery life although it is impressive when needed. Whether the light source is LED or incandescent if it’s drawing amps the battery will run down according to its capacity. I don’t have experience with Streamlights IPX rating but it seems that the flashlights that aren’t rated for dive use don’t hold up in kayak use where constant water exposure occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Dorcy-41-2510.../dp/B0039PV1QK

I have one of these and it's very good. LEDs are a must.

I wish I could buy an LED cluster as a bulb replacement for my Makita torch, it would be perfect then, I'm sick of bulbs.
    Same. Very good flashlight that floats. Buy two and save.
    Take Care,
    Steve W

Honeoye Falls, New York
    Building a B & B Core Sound 20 Mark III "Jazz Hands"
    Spindrift 11N Suzy J Build Pictures
    A little video of the Suzy J and my youngest son

...I seem to have accumulated a few with missing spring contacts and defective leds...
    If they're Princeton Tec, I think they're covered under a lifetime warranty. They would probably replace them. But then you'd need to figure out what to do with all your headlamps.

I don’t have experience with Streamlights IPX rating but it seems that the flashlights that aren’t rated for dive use don’t hold up in kayak use where constant water exposure occurs.
    Yeah, that's my big worry. My old TL8 spolied me, so... Only time will tell.

Who knows? I may get to report back in a year that this one is a dud, and then go try another. If nothing else, however, maybe this thread will tell the next person more about what options are out there.

And on the headlamp front, My Princeton Tec Quad Tactical (the red lens was the selling point for me, and they hadn't yet come out with the "Fred") is a champion performer. A bit heavy, but reliable, waterproof, and with excellent power useage. I'd get a "Fred" if I were buying one today --that model came out three months after I bought the one I have-- but I'm pretty happy with the QuadTac. Six years, I think I've had it, and it's going strong. It's the one AAA exception to my AA-only rule.

Alex

So you're saying I should try one then?

So you're saying I should try one then?
    If you don't already have one, then... Misery loves company! In all seriousness, thank you for pointing me that direction.

Alex