Thread: Homemade chisel knife

Default Homemade chisel knife

For some completely unknown reason I've been hankering for one of those combo chisel.knife pieces. But I just couldn't justify spending the money. So last weeekend I was at a garage sale and the guy had a '70s vintage drawknife that he'd dropped and broken one handle off from, so I grabbed it for a buck.

IMG_4139.jpg

I used a cutoff disk to start trimming down the bits;

IMG_4140.jpg

And an angle grinder to shape down a bit of a handle.

IMG_4141.jpg

I roughed out the bevels using a high speed grinder and going slowly to avoid heat and now I'm working on the chisel bevel on the wet wheel. What I didn't take into consideration is that 1/4" stock cutting back 25 degrees means moving a LOT of metal, and there was just a bit of stamping left in the backside that I should have ground out before I started on the wheel, so I still have more to go.

IMG_4142.jpg

I'll lay back the knife bevel further with the hispeed before I continue that part. Then I have to figure out how to drill holes for riveting on the scales. By all rights, I should have annealed it all first, but once I started playing it all kinda went its own way. I probably would have been better off just spending the bucks, but where's the fun in that?

Default Re: Homemade chisel knife

Very cool!

I love this kind of DYI. Kudos-
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic; save the country.

I bought Lee valleys version years ago. Handy when you need it. Odd that handle snapping like that though.

Could you show us a photo of how you use it?

so are you a righty or a lefty?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I have one of these on my tool belt and use it daily:

High carbon steel blade, seems pretty rugged. Best part? $11.96

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craf...orakniv+chisel

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    Could you show us a photo of how you use it?
    when it is in daily use
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I have one of these on my tool belt and use it daily:

High carbon steel blade, seems pretty rugged. Best part? $11.96

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craf...orakniv+chisel

I have never heard of, or seen one.

I googled it and found they were dirt cheap.

So perhaps Steve will enlighten Rob and myself as to what exactly they impart that most other hand cutting tool does. Especially when it is in daily use

They’re about a quarter inch thick in back so you can whack them like a mini froe. Lee valley calls it a Batoning Knife now nicer than what I have. Definitely not a finesse tool.
    Last edited by Boater14; 04-11-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    so are you a righty or a lefty?
    I'm a "righty", so I have the bevels on the right and can guide the chisel with my left thumb without it becoming a sacrificial goat again (it takes a beating, it does). I just finished jury rigging a bevelling jig on my wheel so I can get a consistent bevel on the long side. Guess I'd best get back to work on it, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    I bought Lee valleys version years ago. Handy when you need it. Odd that handle snapping like that though.
    Good point, so I looked at the broken chunk of handle. It looks to me like it was a bad weld where they attached the rod for the handle, the parent stock looks fine.

On the repuropsing side, I decided to make the scales out of an old recognition plaque that my father-in-law had hanging in the office. He was a die-hard re-purposer and once made a sawmill setworks computer out of an old Wurlitzer Bubble Top Juke Box. My wife never forgave him for that one, so it's with some satisfaction on her part that I'm using his plaque.

IMG_4144.jpg

A few minutes with the heat gun and tablesaw and I ended up with this:

IMG_4146.jpg

I had to do some jury-rigging on my wet wheel to be able to have clearance to grind the (mostly uniform) 25 degree bevel. I left ~.020" (.5mm for the Imperially challenged) of the old bevel that I'll shape out when I do the final sharpening. Much to my surprise, there's a bit of a hardening line that can be seen through the long face. I couldn't see that with the rough grinding, although I could feel something. I certainly felt it working on the wet wheel!

IMG_4147.jpg

Now I've gotta dig up some decent drill bots. I toasted my 5/32 cheapo tungsten drilling that one hole.

OK...back on task here:
    I shaped and pinned the bolsters. They're bedded in unthickened epoxy not for adhesion, but to keep crud and moisture out from between the materials. The holes are step-drilled; .125 for a snug fit for the pin and then stepped up to a #80 (.135) to within about an eighth inch of the mounting surface. That'll give the pin some room to expand on peining (in theory).
    IMG_4171.jpg

While the epoxy was setting I measured the bevel and trimmed the scales to match. Professional knifemakers I'm told undercut the bolsters a little bit to avoid a gap between bolster and scale, but I found ut about that a little belatedly. We'll see how the final fit looks:
    IMG_4172.jpgIMG_4173.jpg

With the scales bevelled, I transfer drilled the holes from the tang to the wood, cut the pins and counterbored tha handles like I did the bolsters. Now it's time to go work on the deck some more.
    IMG_4174.jpg

Did a little die grinder work to trim down the bolsters and then epoxied on the (really fat) scales and set the pins.
    IMG_4182.jpgIMG_4181.jpg

Then, once things had cured a bit I attacked it with 80 grit on the belt sander, followed by some refining with 220. Still some shaping to do ont he grip, but it's getting there:
    IMG_4183.jpgIMG_4184.jpg

Wednesday is supposed to be rainy, so I can finish up the grip maybe. In the meantime I'm debating about what kind of finish to put on ot. Probably just seal it up good with some tung oil, I'm thinkin'.

Those brass pins look good and match the bolsters. I usually just use copper rod, mainly because I have it here.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Oooo...copper would look neat, too. I had the brass leftover from another project...which begs the question: Why is everything I make for myself made up of "leftovers"?

Nice job. Bring it to a messabout to show off sometime. The summer solstice event at Cathlamet is coming up.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

It's getting pretty Hugh.

I've gotten good results just standing dried out knife handles in a can of tung oil for a few days.

I like it ! Hugh, thanks for sharing this, I need to get building something similar.

Rick

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Nice job. Bring it to a messabout to show off sometime. The summer solstice event at Cathlamet is coming up.
    It looks like I'll be able to make it to the June/July function. I'll toss it in the car for that

Was it crocodile Dundee who said now that’s a knife?

Wow, a minny frow! That is one cool tool! That ferrule and handle are nice touch too!
    Jay

With any luck you’ll share the sheath making, too.

another name is a glaziers putty hacker, or similar , used for hacking out old hard putty from frame rebates. also not a 'fine' tool but everso useful in dozens of ways.

Nice work.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    Was it crocodile Dundee who said now that’s a knife?

"That's not a knife ....That's a knife"
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    With any luck you’ll share the sheath making, too.
    I'd opt for a wooden sheath. My knife cut through the leather one I had.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    I'd opt for a wooden sheath. My knife cut through the leather one I had.
    Jay
    I'll certainly have a wood liner, probably with a rawhide guard at the lip. A friend wants to help me make the sheath...probably partially molded around the grip. Speaking of which, here's the knife, 2 coats of tung oil and a quckie edge thrown on, The back is going to take lots of flattening, but I have it started. I also found some leftover chunks of bandsaw blade, too. Wonder what I oughtta make next?

IMG_4192.jpg

Kitchen knives are a good project, I have one here I made from a rusty old Diston handsaw found in rubbish throw out.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Looks beautiful. I've never seen that tool before, the mind reels with possibilities.

Thanks for sharing, lots of fun seeing stuff re-purposed so beautifully.
    I try to re-purpose materials, i feel in this age of excess and throw away we have a duty to. So Bravo!
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

That is superb.
    My go to boat/beachcomb lockblade is a similar style.
    20180510_121910.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    I'll certainly have a wood liner, probably with a rawhide guard at the lip. A friend wants to help me make the sheath...probably partially molded around the grip. Speaking of which, here's the knife, 2 coats of tung oil and a quckie edge thrown on, The back is going to take lots of flattening, but I have it started. I also found some leftover chunks of bandsaw blade, too. Wonder what I oughtta make next?

IMG_4192.jpg
    If you go to a place that services tooling such as planer/moulders or jointer knives, a saw filing shop will typically do that, you'll find that once those blades have been ground down to a certain width they're thrown out. These are top grade high speed steel, perfect material for knives, chisels and such.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Thanks John,
    Luckily I have several chunks of pretty good old sawblade steel to play with. Unkuckily, all of the professional saw shops in this area have folded their tents and retired. The fellow who gave me these blade chunks has a portable mill and gave me pieces of a blade he'd broken and soldered together too many times. He does all his own sharpening due to lack of suitable shops. Sad state of affairs.

Then I have to figure out how to drill holes for riveting on the scales. By all rights, I should have annealed it all first, but once I started playing it all kinda went its own way. I probably would have been better off just spending the bucks, but where's the fun in that?
    Hi Hugh.

No need to anneal it all.

You can clamp that workpiece to your drill-press table and align the hole location with the chuck, then use a piece of rod in place of the bit, turn the drill on high speed, lower the rod into contact with your hole location and lean on it for a little while.

It won't be long before the hole location gets red hot (or hotter).

Then you can wait for it to cool, swap your rod for the appropriate drill, and merrily bore your hole.

It may be helpful to back up the workpiece with a piece of plywood, and have another piece handy, so when you get it hot you can place the second piece of plywood over the hot spot as insulation to slow down the cooling.

That's all I got.
    Rattling the teacups.

NICE! Spot annealing! I'da never thunk o'that. "Course, with my luck I'd spin weld the rod to the handle

NICE! Spot annealing! I'da never thunk o'that. "Course, with my luck I'd spin weld the rod to the handle

The die grinder is a faithful friend in dire circumstances!

Beautiful work, man!
    Rattling the teacups.