Thread: Homemade chisel knife

Default Homemade chisel knife

For some completely unknown reason I've been hankering for one of those combo chisel.knife pieces. But I just couldn't justify spending the money. So last weeekend I was at a garage sale and the guy had a '70s vintage drawknife that he'd dropped and broken one handle off from, so I grabbed it for a buck.

IMG_4139.jpg

I used a cutoff disk to start trimming down the bits;

IMG_4140.jpg

And an angle grinder to shape down a bit of a handle.

IMG_4141.jpg

I roughed out the bevels using a high speed grinder and going slowly to avoid heat and now I'm working on the chisel bevel on the wet wheel. What I didn't take into consideration is that 1/4" stock cutting back 25 degrees means moving a LOT of metal, and there was just a bit of stamping left in the backside that I should have ground out before I started on the wheel, so I still have more to go.

IMG_4142.jpg

I'll lay back the knife bevel further with the hispeed before I continue that part. Then I have to figure out how to drill holes for riveting on the scales. By all rights, I should have annealed it all first, but once I started playing it all kinda went its own way. I probably would have been better off just spending the bucks, but where's the fun in that?

Default Re: Homemade chisel knife

Very cool!

I love this kind of DYI. Kudos-
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

I bought Lee valleys version years ago. Handy when you need it. Odd that handle snapping like that though.

Could you show us a photo of how you use it?

so are you a righty or a lefty?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I have one of these on my tool belt and use it daily:

High carbon steel blade, seems pretty rugged. Best part? $11.96

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craf...orakniv+chisel

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    Could you show us a photo of how you use it?
    when it is in daily use
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I have one of these on my tool belt and use it daily:

High carbon steel blade, seems pretty rugged. Best part? $11.96

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craf...orakniv+chisel

I have never heard of, or seen one.

I googled it and found they were dirt cheap.

So perhaps Steve will enlighten Rob and myself as to what exactly they impart that most other hand cutting tool does. Especially when it is in daily use

They’re about a quarter inch thick in back so you can whack them like a mini froe. Lee valley calls it a Batoning Knife now nicer than what I have. Definitely not a finesse tool.
    Last edited by Boater14; 04-11-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    so are you a righty or a lefty?
    I'm a "righty", so I have the bevels on the right and can guide the chisel with my left thumb without it becoming a sacrificial goat again (it takes a beating, it does). I just finished jury rigging a bevelling jig on my wheel so I can get a consistent bevel on the long side. Guess I'd best get back to work on it, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    I bought Lee valleys version years ago. Handy when you need it. Odd that handle snapping like that though.
    Good point, so I looked at the broken chunk of handle. It looks to me like it was a bad weld where they attached the rod for the handle, the parent stock looks fine.

On the repuropsing side, I decided to make the scales out of an old recognition plaque that my father-in-law had hanging in the office. He was a die-hard re-purposer and once made a sawmill setworks computer out of an old Wurlitzer Bubble Top Juke Box. My wife never forgave him for that one, so it's with some satisfaction on her part that I'm using his plaque.

IMG_4144.jpg

A few minutes with the heat gun and tablesaw and I ended up with this:

IMG_4146.jpg

I had to do some jury-rigging on my wet wheel to be able to have clearance to grind the (mostly uniform) 25 degree bevel. I left ~.020" (.5mm for the Imperially challenged) of the old bevel that I'll shape out when I do the final sharpening. Much to my surprise, there's a bit of a hardening line that can be seen through the long face. I couldn't see that with the rough grinding, although I could feel something. I certainly felt it working on the wet wheel!

IMG_4147.jpg

Now I've gotta dig up some decent drill bots. I toasted my 5/32 cheapo tungsten drilling that one hole.