Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beware the lee shore! Port Jefferson ferry incident this morning.

Default Re: Beware the lee shore! Port Jefferson ferry incident this morning.

A bridge would be crazy. Just think of the cost! Not to mention all the other pieces. Another ferry would give 'em a good run for their money I bet.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I looked at the ferry company's website again today and it looks like the boat will be out of service for awhile.
    I'm wondering if a bent rudder, bent prop, bent strut or whatever can be repaired with the boat in the water? I've heard of underwater welding, but is it possible to do underwater repairs without a dry dock?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Collision with a Coast Guard ferry?
    http://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut...rry/1107640975
    BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (WTNH) - Two ferries collided on Saturday morning, creating a frightening scene.
    Officials say the Bridgeport & Port Jefferson Ferry made contact with a Coast Guard ferry, knocking down two dock pilings.
    The Bridgeport & Port Jefferson Steamboat Company says there were no injuries or environmental concerns from this incident.
    The collision is under investigation at this time.
    Underwater welding is not the best way to weld. The welds are not very good. More of an emergency repair.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    Collision with a Coast Guard ferry?
    http://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut...rry/1107640975

Underwater welding is not the best way to weld. The welds are not very good. More of an emergency repair.
    Wow!!! It is amazing how wrong news reporting can be! I was on that ferry and witnessed the whole thing. There was no Coast Guard vessel anywhere nearby. There was a docked oil barge a short distance away that was one reason the ferry had such tight quarters to maneuver in, but the ferry just struck three (not two) pilings and nothing else.

Years ago, I was involved in a four vehicle car accident that was reported in a local paper. They got the facts all wrong on that ,too.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    The Washington State Ferries here don't have to back up. They switch the helm from one end to another, so they're always heading forward. They also don't have to use mooring lines. They just snug into the docking chute and keep the props turning just enough to keep the ship pressed onto the loading ramp.

Jeff
    That's how the famous Staten Island ferries are set up, a pilot house on each end. Regulations state that there be two pilots, relieveing each other, but both in the same pilot house. When they reach one shore, they both walk to the other end of the boat and drive the boat back the other way. Over the years, some of them got lazy. One would stay at each end, so there would only be one man in a pilot house. A number of years ago, one of those pilots fell asleep and the boat ran full speed into the dock, killing around a dozen people.

On a lighter note, while explaining to some fellow passengers what was happening on my ferry the other morning, I mentioned that the rudder was bent. One very properly dressed lady looked at me and asked, "Just what does a rudder do?" Unbelievable how lubberly people can be!

Any damage to the gronicles?

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Kevin, thanks for the image.
    In the second image you can see a ferry docked where it usually comes in. The ferry in this accident left from the other side of the dock, backed out and tried to make a k-turn in the area between that marina in the lower left and that dock sticking out from the left hand side of the picture. Right above the marina, you can just make out the field of pilings that the ferry drifted down on.
    Normally on days when there's a strong wind out of the north, the ferry backs way out past where that oil barge is docked before attempting to turn around. Why the pilot didn't do this is a question the big-wigs will want to ask. With the combination of twin screws and bow thrusters, these ferries can usually spin on a dime.

does forum member john sandusky still keep his boat at port jefferson?
    i have a picture of it from the passing ferry as kat and i left long island a few years ago
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    does forum member john sandusky still keep his boat at port jefferson?
    i have a picture of it from the passing ferry as kat and i left long island a few years ago
    John keeps WANDERING STAR a mile east in Mount Sinai Harbor where I also moored my boat. It's a beautiful and snug harbor. Port Jeff Harbor, when subjected to a north wind, is a horrible anchorage. Your boat gets beat to hell from the waves that build up in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    That's how the famous Staten Island ferries are set up, a pilot house on each end. Regulations state that there be two pilots, relieveing each other, but both in the same pilot house. When they reach one shore, they both walk to the other end of the boat and drive the boat back the other way. Over the years, some of them got lazy. One would stay at each end, so there would only be one man in a pilot house. A number of years ago, one of those pilots fell asleep and the boat ran full speed into the dock, killing around a dozen people.

On a lighter note, while explaining to some fellow passengers what was happening on my ferry the other morning, I mentioned that the rudder was bent. One very properly dressed lady looked at me and asked, "Just what does a rudder do?" Unbelievable how lubberly people can be!
    I hope you told her that is where baby boats get their milk. Another ex-pat LIer. I mostly only used the ferry with motorcycles, if you time traffic right the ferry is no faster and has been the better part of 50 bucks for a long time.

When I was growing up in Setauket and our sailing yacht club moved from a dock under Long Island Lighting (the coal operation was way cool) over to Bayless Dock right east of the steam ship warf it was a real steam ship - the old Catskill. We'd pester the Chief to give us a tour. That was when the Tucker family ran things so tyrannically that the seamen had to strike and force more humane ownership. I vividly remember the day the Catskill, having neglected a cleaning, came in with a spectacular stack fire going. All of us warf rat kids thought that was totally boss.

Another one bites the dock:
    https://youtu.be/8cCAKVGLPsM
    Anchors make lousy emergency brakes.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/4a3abe0...uise-ship.html
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    Another one bites the dock:
    https://youtu.be/8cCAKVGLPsM
    Anchors make lousy emergency brakes.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/4a3abe0...uise-ship.html
    I saw that on the news. Another captain with some explaining to do.

Captain Ron he ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    The wind was perhaps a steady 15 mph. . . .
    The second ferry that I got on, the pilot backed that thing halfway across the harbor before doing his turn-around!
    "
    But the 2nd fellow had the advantage of knowing what had happened to the 1st one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Captain Ron he ain't.
    One of the best film clips ever! Don't we all wish we could dock a boat like Captain Ron?

Quote Originally Posted by oldsub86 View Post
    But the 2nd fellow had the advantage of knowing what had happened to the 1st one.
    I've been on that ferry hundreds of times and when the wind is cranking out of the north, they always back much further out into the harbor before turning around. Why this pilot didn't is the question. I'd love to find out the final report.