Thread: Now the spring is here, the spring projects are underway

Cool Now the spring is here, the spring projects are underway

Now the spring is here, it is all hands on deck to get these new projects done and back to their owners for the spring sailing season.

Now at the yard, so now the refit can begin with sorting out the major jobs

The small outboard as been neglected for sometime and will need a good overhaul to get it back up and working again.

A number of gelcoat repairs to do around the boat mainly on the aft end where things have been removed over the years

The dashboard in need of sorting out and the wiring needs checking over to ensure the systems are working and where not replacing

Default Re: Now the spring is here, the spring projects are underway

The first major job to be done is to remove the chain locker bulkhead and replace the bulkhead with a new bulkhead.

The damage to the bulkhead is on the chain locker side where the plywood as been damaged from repeat inpacks from a large mud weight while it was used on the Norfolk Broads and has over time broken the plywood down until it started to leak.

Now that all the cushions and berth top boards have been removed the extent of the job is easier to assess. The only odd thing is the bags of sand around the water tank and the water containers in the front of the boat.

The first sight of the job ahead to fit a custom shower tray in the area ahead of the toilet. A bit of brain storming ahead

A bit of a leak on the port middle window.

Brain storming will be well be needed here to make the best of the available space, first thing to strip out the whole area and made wateretight.to make it into a shower and toilet compartment.

Bird;s nest soup of wiring which over the years has been added too and never sorted out. This will be one of the first job for the Electronics team to sort out next week

Like a lot boat that over the years as equipment fitted to it, there is no time taken to remove old wiring and instruments that are no longer working or are outdated by new equipment. So it is time to take the bull by the horns and sort this mess out and get it up to a strandard that is fit for working in a modern boat.

The first job will be to sort out the 240 volt system from the 12 volt system and make it safe to use. Firstly by putting the batteries in a battery box that is vented.

Change the 240 volt system so it is up to date and safe to use.

The main job is going to be sorting out the locker into a better designed area with all the services to hand a easy to use.

Sort out the 240 volt sockets around the boat and put them in areas where they are not exposed to the elements

Sort out the engine bay electrics so it is not just at run of odd wires going in all directions

Also take out equipment that is not being used or is outdated that there are no spares available for them.

The fuel tank is now out of the boat and in the workshop to inspect the bottom of the tank to see why the bottom was fibreglassed over.

The inside of the fuel tank to try and clean out. If it can it would be good if after inspecting what is under the fibreglass matting does not give us any headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by jstarboats View Post
    The fuel tank is now out of the boat and in the workshop to inspect the bottom of the tank to see why the bottom was fibreglassed over.

The inside of the fuel tank to try and clean out. If it can it would be good if after inspecting what is under the fibreglass matting does not give us any headaches.

Unless there is a drain sump built in condensation will lay on the bottom under the fuel and corrode.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Just updated my jstar boat services website to show what new projects the company are presently undertaking and the exciting job opportunities for a young person to become a boat builder within the company. The photos are of projects currently undetaken be the company. The work is challenging and varied and no two days are ever the same. So if you feel you are up to the challenge, call Simon on 07585506960 or send him your C.V. to jstarboatservices1@gmail.com.

<font color="#333333"><span style="f...</span></font>?w=207&h=155[/IMG]

This week the owner of one of the boat's in the yard paid me a visit from the south west part of the country to discuss work on his boat and the list of work to be done. He took the cushion from the boat to get done near to his own area and so giving me more room in the workshop for other work.

Another owner came down to give me a few bits to finish off his boat which was finished off this morning with the steering getting sorted out on the boat with a change in position of the steering cable and a change in the way the steering was run through the boat and on the outboard motor end as well.

An old motor launch was picked up from another boatyard to be cut up to make garden furniture for its owner.

Also this week the engineering team refitted an engine in a yacht the team were working on so that the new owner can sail it back to his home port over the next few weeks after he is more familar with his new yacht and feels happy to sail it home with his crew.

Also while out and about the engineering team had to service an engine which was in a boat that would normally be easy enough, however the engine was fitted into the boat with the engine in the boat with the front of the engine facing far not forward as would be the norm. So it made fro interesting changing of parts which would otherwise easy a bit more difficult to do. It is not the first one that the team have come across and i am sure will not be the last. The same it true of the boat we have in the yard at the moment as it is one of this boats sister ship with the same engine setup..

While this as been going on there as also been time to put a few things around yard in better places and sort out the stock laying around the yard and put them in a more origainsed pattern for all the employees know where to go to get tools and stock from and not to waste time looking for things.

While out and about working one of our client's boats we had to remove a section of rubbing strake which I fitted 31 year ago while I work at the boatyard where the boat was orginally build and the only reason it was being replaced was it had been damage while it was ashore during the winter, so it was an easy job to replace as I still had some of the section profit laying around the yard from another one of these boats I had worked on in the past.

So next week it is going to be as busy if not more as the owners start to want their boats and yachts afloat and back in commission for the sailing serason.

Did you manage to sort out how to install a shower ahead of the biffy Simon? That space is so small it would be tight for an anorexic flamingo.

The shower will fit in that space as I have done it before on one of those boats in the past, the only thing you have to do is use the toilet seat as a seat to shower yourself and then stand up to wash yourself down to finish off. It is small space, but on any boat space is tied and you use what you have in the best way possible.

Regards
    Simon

Today, it was sea trials for one of the motor boats I had just finished doing the refit on, Apart from the need to add about 50 kgs of ballast in the bow area to get the bow to come down and let the boat get on to the plane, it was a successful boat trial. Once the new owner as sorted the ballasting of the boat then we will go out and continue with the sea trials and teaching him how to use his new boat.

After a second sea trial the boat with the added 50kg of ballast in the bow of the boat, the boat got to its top speed of 22 kts and the owner was very pleased with the results and now going to enjoy the sailing season with his new boat.
    Last edited by jstarboats; 05-09-2018 at 10:11 AM.

The planks going back in the 1930's classic yacht

Starting to fit the port side plank

Setting up the props to make sure it fits the area correctly

Now the plank is fitted it is time to repair the damaged piece of hog before refitting the plank and then the stern tube log

Now it is the turn of the starboard side to be fitted

The starboard side with the props set up to hold the plank in the correct position

The new planks now primered so when it as dried they will be ready to refit to the bottom of the yacht.

A small refit on a fishing dory

A small repair caused by a forklift fork while in another yard, not a boatyard

Grinding back the inside of the repair to get ready to re-gelcoat and and build up the matting back to the original spec

The engine in need of a good overhauling before getting it up and running up again before it goes back to its owner, so he can go fishing

Grinding back the inside of the repair to get ready to re-gelcoat and and build up the matting back to the original spec

The engine in need of a good overhauling before getting it up and running up again before it goes back to its owner, so he can go fishing

A bit of TLC needed in the cockpit and the cabin

A rebuilding of the engine box is also needed as it as seen better days

Although the firsat two photos are of one Hardy 25 the rest are of the one I refitted the other day by myself. It took me 2 hours to fit on the boat, it did take me about an hour when I did it 30+years ago, so I am a bit slower these days

Rope fender off the boat and now it is time to refit the new rope fender to the boat

There it is, the new Rope Fender on the boat the same way it was fitted in the Hardy Marine yard 31 years ago

As when it was fitted originally you can not see the lacing eyes or the lacings that hold it in position

The Finesse 24 is back in the workshop after it has had a change of ownership and this time it is going to have a new deck and a split plank replaced

The major work is going to be on the decks

The major problem is going to be sorting out the poor work done before and the ill fitting work on the deck beams and carlins

This is the split plank that needs replacing

The staging is round the boat at the correct height to work on the deck

The first major job is going to be cleaning the deck beams of all the old glue and bits of old deck left behind when it was removed

This is going to take a while as there are a lot of areas that need repairing before the new deck is fitted and also areas where the deck beams do not line up with other deck beams making the deck laid un-evening, especially on the after deck and the fore deck.

The fore deck beams are now cleaned off of all the old glue and bit of old plywood, however before the new deck goes back on the owner wishes to fit a plank plank between the breast hook and the front of the cabin to support the Samson post and the pressure put on it by the lateral support of the bowsprit.

The side decks now cleaned off and now ready to fill in the gaps between the sheer plank and gunwale

The aft deck beam in need of a bit of work to get it in to position that it will be usable or need for it to be replaced.

The decks on this 45 year old Finesse which is getting a complete re-decking and modifitying the sub deck configation with the area between the planks and the gunwale being filled in to give the marine plywood deck edge a stable edge to fix to and so the deck and the rubbing strake when it is fixed in position will be a non moving joint which in the past as been a source of past leaks. Also a king plank to be fitted between the samsom post and the stem and between the samsom post and the cabin front deck beam to strengthen the deck and to brace the samsom post from pressures on it from the bowspirt and when anchoring.

The shower tray mould is well underway with a coat of epoxy over the plug which will be sanded back to leave a smooth finish to be able to apply the black gelcoat to finish off the plug, so that it can be used to make the mould for the custom shower tray for this Hardy 25.

Other work on the Hardy 25 as been the replacement of the toilet discharge skin fitting with a new improved model of skin fitting that is able to be grease while it is still together. This is a great improvement on the old design of the same fitting which needed to be stripped down to be serviced.
    Another job as been to set out the instruments in the cockpit and around the Helm position to ensure the instruments can all be used and are easy to opreate whatever the condtions the boat is going to be used in while at sea.
    Next wek is going to be another busy week with a lot of work on the Hardy 25 being done and also the decks of the Finesse 24 getting underway and being started to be covered with it's lay of 6mm marine plywood before having it's second layer of 6 mm marine plywood fitted later in the week.

All the noggins are now glued and screwed in position and now ready to take the power planner to the excess

Trestles planks at the right height for me to work at to do the job

The starboard side getting the treatment first

Just another forty feet to go until I get to the other end

Fitting plank deck beams to support new marine plywood deck as area was unsupported before and this way the plywood deck covering will be well supported with the extra deck beams in position

The new plank deck beams have been set into the original deck beams so that the loading on the deck beams will be spread across the whole area and not just on the edges as before

The king plank is now fixed in position and will strengthen up the deck and support the Samson post from the pressure put on it by the bowsprit and transfer the pressure over a larger area.

the king plank ids notched into the deck beams so that the pressure will be spread over a larger area and also will strengthen up the marine plywood deck which is going to go over this area

The same is true of the aft deck which will be strengthen up by having extra deck beams in position over the large area of unsupported deck as it was before.

Looks good. Some fun work you have going on.

Hi Ned,
    Yes I have a few boat and yacht projects underway at the moment, all involving wood work in one way or another. They are all in need of a lot of of TLC in different areas of their construction. It is going to keep me busy for the summer and into the later part of the year. In September I may even get timer to get on with my own yacht which as spent the last three years out of the water and I hav e not had much chance to go for a sail, so it will be good to get her in the workshop and get her refitted and back on the water next spring so that I can go for a sail after work as a way of de stressing. At least it is a plan.

You sound a bit like the story of the shoe maker’s children (are you familiar with that over there?).
    Yes,.... you need to get on with your boat and some sailing.

Wow!!! I just had to go check,.... it was three years ago that you posted about your little yacht. She is a pretty little boat and you need to get to her.

What is the lapstrake hull planked with? I think you use a lot of larch over there for lapstrake,
    Last edited by nedL; 06-28-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Hi Ned
    I am awhere of the shoe maker story from my child hood and yes I need to get my yacht afloat again so I can do a bit of sailing which is my passion when not building or repairing them. The lapstrake yacht is a design called a Finesse, this one is a 24 ft design which as fasllen on hard time which is going to get redecked by myself and the owner. Then the owner is going to finish off the refit near his home with a bit of imput from me from time to time over the next couple of years. Or at least that is his plan, but as you know owners plans change from time to time.

Thank you. It looks like she will be well on her way to being serviceable again when you pass her back to the owner. New tight decks will certainly do her well.

This is the second coat of gelcoat on the plug, so just got to let this one coat go off and then give it its final coat of gelcoat before starting to lay up the matting.

A lot of work to make a plug to make a custom mould, however the end result will be worth all the hard work getting to this stage

When it is finished being laid up and release from the plug the next job will be to fit it in the toilet compartment and pump in the shower system and Formica the bulkheads and flowcoat the fibreglass areas of the shower/ toilet compartment

The two short pieces of planking getting re-fixed into position

Because of the slight twist in the planks it is necessary to shore up the planks into position while fixing them with bronze screws and copper nails

The second side in position

Then the next job was to bore the holes for the shaft log through the hog and through the new planks so that the drill bit as a guide to run through to use to bore the holes for the bolts that are going to fix the shaft log in position while the stern tube hole is bored in the shaft log.

The corner post is now re-fixed in the corner of the cabin and this should stop the leak in this corner of the cabin