Thread: Beef Brisket

Default Beef Brisket

I just picked up a 10 pound beef brisket I plan to cut it into thirds, normally I would smoke and mop it on the Webber but it's cold an snowing right now so I doubt thats doable, anybody got some ideas on how to cook it in an oven end goal is good sandwich meat. I have googled it but find nothing that really moves me. I'm really only cooking it tomorrow because it was on sale $2.29 a pound, if it's even half decent I want to buy a couple more.

Default Re: Beef Brisket

SWIMBO suggests that you would have to pot roast it, slowly 3 - 4 hours or so.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Do you have a pressure cooker? If so cook it in the pressure cooker with a bit of liquid smoke and finish in the oven broiler. I made some pork spare ribs last week this way and they turned out great.

If you don't have an electric pressure cooker you are missing the boat!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

What's the rush?

You could pop it in a big ziploc with salt and spices and cure it until the weather clears.

Corned beef and pastrami take the same sort of cure. Pastrami is rolled in roasted cracked coriander seed and black pepper, and smoked.

Both need steaming or simmering to be tender. Both make excellent sandwiches.

This is the big book of secrets.

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Pot roast don't know why I hadn't considered that.

Pressure cooker no, they have always scared me a bit.

Searching for the book on my used book sites, the hurry is the sale ends tomorrow so l want a taste before it ends, any beef for $2.29 a pound is super cheap around here, it's Walmart beef and you never know. Diana was getting the monthly supply of pet food and I wandered around the store and found this.

Just cook it low and slow, there is nothing special about the cut. I wouldn't rush to buy out the store unless you had some talent at turning it into corn beef and pastrami. Either way you're going to have to freeze it unless you jerk it.

The price for brisket is ridiculous considering it's dog meat. Yeah, if you know what you're doing you can make it quite tasty, once you factor in the time and effort you might as well buy something better.

Put some olive oil in a big cast iron casserole. heat it up and cover it with chopped onion and chopped garlic. When the veggies are getting soft, put the nice piece of beef in the oil and brown it on all sides. Fire up your oven to 350 or so and get a big can of tomatoes and empty that on top of the beef. Get a couple cups of good red wine and put that on the beef. Add a bunch of parsley, some oregano, a reasonable amount of ground pepper and not too much salt, about a quarter cup of sugar. Mix that all up and put the cover on the casserole and put it in the oven.

Come back to dinner in about 2.5 hours, but if you want to add halved potatoes and have them cooked in time put them in at around the 2 hour mark. Make sure they're immersed in the liquid. You can also add baby carrots, or maybe 4 or 5 carrots cut into pieces about the same size as the potatoes.

Around the same time, taste the liquid and adjust the sweetener. The tomatoes and wine will be acid and may need more compensation.

If you want to make it really fabulous, once the potatoes are done pull them out and decant about a quarter cup of the liquid into a small bowl. Add nearly the same amount of flour to the liquid and stir together until it's a thin paste. If it's not a thin paste, add more liquid and make sure there are no lumps. Then add a C or so of sour cream to the flour mixture and stir together really well. No lumps.

Then add that to the pot roast and stir it in well, so that it starts to thicken. Put it back in the oven for the rest of the time.

This is also a good time to test the meat and see whether it's actually ready to be eaten. Take a very sharp knife and cut through the middle of it, ACROSS the grain. If will be nearly cooked when there's little resistance to your sharp knife.

Then remove the whole thing and pull the beef out onto a carving board. Turn the oven off. Let the beef cool only a little bit and slice it across the grain. Meanwhile, take some frozen string beans and immerse them in the gravy in the casserole. They will semi-cook and cool it all down a bit. When that has happened, they will be slightly crunchy, rather than wilted, and the gravy might need a little reheating. You can put the casserole with the green beans into the oven to stay warm in the residual heat from the casserole and the oven, along with the potatoes and carrots.

Serve with a toss salad.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

When in doubt, throw it in the crock pot. But I agree the Webber sounds more tempting.

Texas Brothers (spice sellers) used to have a good recipe online. BBQ spice is available locally.

Dry rub with spices
    Place on cold side of grill (opposite small pile of coals), fat side down
    Smoke with hickory for an hour or two depended on smoke density, I went two hours because it was not a smoker, just a pan of chips over the coals on one side of a webber, adding chips when smoke stopped
    Place fat side up on heavy foil, add a cup of (preferably hoppy) beer, wrap up and roast in oven (I think 275F?) until tender, probably about 4 hours.

TB used to recommend adding the "mother handful of salt" for a full brisket. I never used any salt, the BBQ spice had more than enough.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Having difficulty editing last entry, will delete later. Revision:Texas Brothers (spice sellers) used to have a good recipe online. BBQ spice is available locally.Dry rub with spicesPlace on cold side of grill (opposite small pile of coals), fat side downSmoke with hickory for an hour or two depended on smoke density, I went two hours because it was not a smoker, just a pan of chips over the coals on one side of a webber, adding chips when smoke stoppedPlace fat side up on heavy foil, add a cup of (preferably hoppy) beer, wrap up and roast in oven (I think 275F?) until tender, probably about 4 hours.TB used to recommend adding the "mother handful of salt" for a full brisket before roasting. I never used any salt, the BBQ spice had more than enough.I would serve on a plate:a half dozen slices of brisketa good rollcole slawgarnet yams that had been quartered, brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with rosemary or a fresh sprig on each, and roasted at 450F until browned and soft, about 30 minutessteamed kale mixed with caramelized onions and balsamic vinegargood beerEveryone was quite happy.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Nice one Elf but If I may be so bold...IMO the only place for tinned tomatőes is maybe smeared on pizza dough, and even then I don't see the point when fresh toms in a hundred different varieties are available all year round. Tinned toms had a place when fresh ones were seasonal, and as you pointed out they are very acidic... probably abscorbic or acetic acid in the canning, at a guess. And there's no point in using 'good' red wine in a 2.5 hour stew... I keep back ends of bottles and or cheap box wines and would defy someone to tell the differnce in a récipe such as this.

The gravy sounds heaven sent, and sometimes here its hard to find sour cream so one could use natural preferably homemade yogurt.

Elsewhere...likewise I'm a bit wary of pressure cookers though without fail everyone I know who has habitually used them think they're the biz.
    Some cooker though, to take ten pound joint , no?
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Do you have a pressure cooker? If so cook it in the pressure cooker with a bit of liquid smoke and finish in the oven broiler. I made some pork spare ribs last week this way and they turned out great.

If you don't have an electric pressure cooker you are missing the boat!
    I was impressed by the electric pressure cooker my daughter got. It’s perfect for all those long time cooking oven dishes, beans and making chicken stock. Especially in the summer when the ac is on and running the oven is adding heat to the house. If I was cooking for a lot of people regularly it’s more useful than a microwave.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Nice one Elf but If I may be so bold...IMO the only place for tinned tomatőes is maybe smeared on pizza dough, and even then I don't see the point when fresh toms in a hundred different varieties are available all year round. Tinned toms had a place when fresh ones were seasonal, and as you pointed out they are very acidic... probably abscorbic or acetic acid in the canning, at a guess. And there's no point in using 'good' red wine in a 2.5 hour stew... I keep back ends of bottles and or cheap box wines and would defy someone to tell the differnce in a récipe such as this.

The gravy sounds heaven sent, and sometimes here its hard to find sour cream so one could use natural preferably homemade yogurt.

Elsewhere...likewise I'm a bit wary of pressure cookers though without fail everyone I know who has habitually used them think they're the biz.
    Some cooker though, to take ten pound joint , no?
    electric pressure cooker. Programmable w bells and whistles. It takes up space and has parts to clean but cuts cooking time down a lot.

ok Chris, do it all! Get the meat, freeze some of it. Then try all the methods, crockpot, cured, and webber

Yes. A taste test! What time should we all get there to try out the various versions of brisket. I’ll bring some Foundation Epiphany to drink. What’re you other guys bringing?

Slow cooker chilli con brisket is extra good. I make it every couple of weeks or so. When it has cooked enough for the beef to fall apart, it's done. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post the recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Slow cooker chilli con brisket is extra good. I make it every couple of weeks or so. When it has cooked enough for the beef to fall apart, it's done. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post the recipe.

I’m interested. My crockpot chili is a handful of jalapenos split and seeded, layer of tomatoes, garlic, onion, spices, hunks of whatever meat and let it go for 8-12hrs. Minimal extra liquid with fresh tomatoes. Sometimes a beer. If the meat is real fatty I’ll chill it and pick out the fat. Always better after a day.

Default Beef Brisket

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I’m interested. My crockpot chili is a handful of jalapenos split and seeded, layer of tomatoes, garlic, onion, spices, hunks of whatever meat and let it go for 8-12hrs. Minimal extra liquid with fresh tomatoes. Sometimes a beer. If the meat is real fatty I’ll chill it and pick out the fat. Always better after a day.

Yes to all of your preferences 😊

The chilli brisket I make is a bit of work to start with, but ultimately worth it. Get a large slab of brisket, trim off some fat if you prefer to, then with a really sharp knife slash deep diagonal cross cuts into both faces, around a half inch to an inch apart. Fry the brisket in a little bit of oil on both sides and add in garlic, finely chopped onion, cumin powder, coriander seed powder, paprika, a little bit of salt, a good grind of black pepper and work it into the cuts. When it's well fried, take it off the heat and add some red wine and/or balsamic vinegar, or beer if you prefer, and let it sit a bit with a lid on. Cook really slowly for maybe ten hours in a slow cooker with chopped chillies, chopped tomatoes, red kidney beans, basil leaves and dried oregano. It will make a lot of liquid so let the lid leak steam out while it's cooking. You'll know when it's done when the brisket can easily be pulled apart with two forks.

The herbs, spices, wine etc are up to you to modify to your taste. If it ends up too liquid, I will put in some tomato paste or even corn meal to thicken it a bit.

Serve any way you like, with whatever you like.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I just did a couple of big briskets for Passover... more or less following a Gordon Ramsay recipe. I rubbed the brisket with the usual BBQ-style rub, and browned it in a skillet.... then I laid a layer of sliced Vidalia onions in a roasting tray, added a little bit of tomato paste, laid the brisket on top of the onions, half-filled the pan with chicken stock, and sealed the pan tightly with aluminum foil... 2 1/2 hrs @ 300F, and it came out quite good.

I did this the day before Passover, and when it was done and had cooled, I sliced it, de-fatted the pan juices, and laid the slices in a Pyrex tray, covered with the juices.

Unfortunately, I overdid the re-heating, at the Seder, and while it was moist and soft the day I cooked it, it ended up tough and a bit dry, the next day. It was terrific, though, the day I cooked it.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

ok Chris, do it all! Get the meat, freeze some of it. Then try all the methods, crockpot, cured, and webber
    That is just what I'm planning to do, they all sound great. Thanks everyone, I will start with chili thick enough to wrap in a tortilla that will be lunch this week Emily, Bob and Norman's to come in the future, I had never heard of sour cream in pot roast sounds great.

This website is useful (and fun). I just used the pastrami recipe.

Basically the same as corned beef, except for the coriander/pepper crust and the smoking.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...e-katzs-recipe

Thanks chip-skiff I'll check the local hannifords tomorrow for Prague #1 if not Amazon has two pounds for $9.99, a quick look it seems that much cure will do 800lbs but it would cost $5 for 4oz I'll save the fat cut parts for sandwich stuff. I had no idea so many folks were curing there own meat the book charcuterie must be great I'm not finding used copies on my regular sites.

thx for the inspiration, put a brisket in the crock pot w all the ingredients. Manana I work with chili!

thx for the inspiration, put a brisket in the crock pot w all the ingredients. Manana I work with chili!

Progress report please, with pictures

Paperback E-book

I killed two young piggy wigs a couple of days ago- dressed out at under forty pounds each. I put three trays of ribs, hocks and bits and pieces in the gas smoker this morning and cranked up the heat- or tried to! Three and a half hours and the temperature never went over about 160 F. No idea what the problem was. Had to shut it down so I can go into town- the missus wants to shop and I get to push the wheelchair No way I'm going away and leaving the smoker running. JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Progress report please, with pictures

I haven’t learned how to post pics but it looks good. Put the pot in the fridge to take out chilled fat. Had a few pieces of brisket and it’s good and spicy HOT! Should be ready tomorrow with corn tortillas, sour cream and a lime.

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    I killed two young piggy wigs a couple of days ago- dressed out at under forty pounds each. I put three trays of ribs, hocks and bits and pieces in the gas smoker this morning and cranked up the heat- or tried to! Three and a half hours and the temperature never went over about 160 F. No idea what the problem was. Had to shut it down so I can go into town- the missus wants to shop and I get to push the wheelchair No way I'm going away and leaving the smoker running. JayInOz
    what kind of wood in the smoker?

I haven’t learned how to post pics but it looks good. Put the pot in the fridge to take out chilled fat. Had a few pieces of brisket and it’s good and spicy HOT! Should be ready tomorrow with corn tortillas, sour cream and a lime.
    Sounds good. I like the idea of chilling to get rid of excess fat. I'll do that next time. It also means that the fod gets to rest before eating and these kinds of meals almost always come back better from a day's rest.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Sounds like a problem with the pressure regulator or some other aspect of the smoker. If the meat hasn't been cured, at 160°F Smoker temp rather than a probe), you might be at risk for bacterial contamination.
    Last edited by Chip-skiff; 04-09-2018 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Sounds like a problem with the pressure regulator or some other aspect of the smoker. If the meat hasn't been cured, at 160°F Smoker temp rather than a probe), you might be at risk for bacterial contamination.
    I was happy to cold smoke it anyway- I've put the meat in the freezer and will cook it properly before we eat it. The rub I used was one of the wife's concoctions- eye of newt, wing of bat, tongue of boot, tail of cat, paprika and some other stuff- smells good!

And Lee, the wood is iron bark- smoke flavor with no hint of anything else JayInOz

My kids bought me a treager grill, everyone should have one.

However i use the crock pot most of the time.

Put the meat in before beddy by time, wake up to a nice smell.