Thread: Fare Well The Tube

Default Fare Well The Tube

The TV I'd bought for MaryEllen some years ago has died. And I'm planning to live aboard again by midSummer. So getting past TV addiction is in the near future anyway. I'm not buying a new TV.

I called Comcast to find out what internet only would run. I thought it would be cheap because as an add-on to the TV package it was about $15/month. Nah. Stand alone internet would be about $150.

So I recalled that at one time I had access through Verizon. It was pricy, which is why I'd gone to ComCast at MaryEllen's in the first place. They have a much better system now and unlimited is still less than 2/3rds the ComCast. And it will give service anywhere I can get cell service. Which is pretty much the whole East Coast now out at least 50 miles.

I know that Verizon is a blood sucking empire but then again, so's the internet. If we must sin, this is a time to sin with the biggies.

Using it now.

Default Re: Fare Well The Tube

I know Verizon has a reputation, but I've been very satisfied with their service both domestically and internationally.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    I know Verizon has a reputation, but I've been very satisfied with their service both domestically and internationally.
    same here, for twenty plus years
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Ian,

I have unlimited 4g internet from AT&T for my Iphone and a linked LG tablet for about $85 a month. You may want to look into a similar arrangement.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

I switched my cell to AT&T, as its northern New England coverage is much better. Other places - not so much...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I know that Verizon is a blood sucking empire but then again, so's the internet. If we must sin, this is a time to sin with the biggies.
    Comcast can't be any better. I hate it, but it's all we have in my location.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Oh c'mon - you have Fairpoint (or whatever it's called this week) - how could it get any better?

Oh right - Comcast

I use Verizon for my internet through my phone. Works great virtually everywhere.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

I don't have any particular love for ANY of the carriers, myself... here in the office, I've got Verizon FiOS... around 88 Mbps service, up from 25 Mbps, for an additional $10/mo.

I WILL, however, give them some credit. When I switched from Comcast, to Verizon for my office service, they had to completely wire the building for fiber access directly to my office.... which meant running a fiber cable along the back of the building, through a cinder block wall, over ceiling beams about 150 ft in the warehouse, and all the way up to my office in the front... it was 2 hours of work by their tech, and I wasn't charged for any of it.

I pay around $110/mo for the service here... about the same as if I had Comcast. I've had this service for about 4 years so far, and it's been nearly 100%.... about a year ago, it went out for an hour or two, but I was told it was some system-wide outage. Other than that, it's been perfect.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

A friend in Gothenburg, Sweden tells me that he has 100MB fiber in both his home & office - supplied through a gov't network @ roughly $20/month. Being fiber, the upload speed is just about the same as the download - an important piece for us software folks who have to move around large files.

Comcast's upload speeds generally run about 1/3 - 1/2 of download. DSL here is even worse - roughly 1/4 to 1/5.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    A friend in Gothenburg, Sweden tells me that he has 100MB fiber in both his home & office - supplied through a gov't network @ roughly $20/month. Being fiber, the upload speed is just about the same as the download - an important piece for us software folks who have to move around large files.
    Not surprising... other countries take Internet access seriously... and consider it to be essential infrastructure. Yet another reason why the US is behind, in terms of education. These days, net access is ESSENTIAL for education.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Comcast's upload speeds generally run about 1/3 - 1/2 of download. DSL here is even worse - roughly 1/4 to 1/5.
    True... but FiOS is symmetrical.

I do occasionally have to upload big files... but not very often.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Yeah - AFAIK, all fiber is basically symmetrical.

Other countries take internet seriously? It's only a required item for any business in this day and age - why should we take it seriously? You expect anyone in DC to actually care about how competitive we are globally? That only matters if we look at trade as global. More tariff's will fix that.

My phone is paid for this month and I just spent some time looking at Verizon's options. At the moment I'm paying $80/month to Verizon for landline and DSL (Verizon won't sell me those items separately) and another $95 for 1G of cell access. 1G ain't cutting it, so their new Unlimited looks mighty attractive.

Especially if I can use the phone as a wi-fi hotspot and get rid of the DSL/landline entirely.

But that's 24hr/day for the computer and 24hr/day for the phone.

Still struggling to understand the costs, especially to the phone. I know one is battery wear and tear, but I can do the whole thing through my USB connection to the computer.

You techies out there - is this the trend of the future? Using the phone as the computer's connection to the big world out there?

Alternatively, why are computers restricted to wi-fi? And how much longer is that going to be the case? I would think they would work on the cellular network routinely.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    My phone is paid for this month and I just spent some time looking at Verizon's options. At the moment I'm paying $80/month to Verizon for landline and DSL (Verizon won't sell me those items separately) and another $95 for 1G of cell access. 1G ain't cutting it, so their new Unlimited looks mighty attractive.

Especially if I can use the phone as a wi-fi hotspot and get rid of the DSL/landline entirely.

Still struggling to understand the costs, especially to the phone. I know one is battery wear and tear, but I can do the whole thing through my USB connection to the computer.

You techies out there - is this the trend of the future? Using the phone as the computer's connection to the big world out there?

Alternatively, why are computers restricted to wi-fi? And how much longer is that going to be the case? I would think they would work on the cellular network routinely.
    I'm a bit surprised you're on DSL... is there no cable where you are?

If you had cable or FiOS access in your area, you could combine your cellphone, internet access, and 'landline' (via VOIP) in a single bill. I'm not sure what the charges would be, you'd have to shop them competitively.

We have a VOIP 'landline' at home, with our traditional number, but these days, I'm not sure why we bother to keep it.... basically, it's 'free' with internet and cable TV access. We don't even answer it anymore, since most of the incoming calls are solicitors (despite being on the 'do not call' list)... we'll probably just drop the number soon, since all we ever use, are our cell phones.

I don't think that internet access via cellphone is likely to be a long term trend.... cell tower capacities being what they are. Virtually all cell-tower related services, even if they advertise 'unlimited', have a provision for throttling your speed if 1) you use too much bandwidth, or 2) the system is congested.

You can use your phone, but as Norm said - you may find you get your speed dropped after X amount of data. Read the fine print... Also - you will need to keep the phone plugged in to the computer. Using it as a hotspot takes some juice.

Computers are expected to be used in a non-mobile way - so wi-fi or plugged in network makes sense. Tablets are a different story. If you look at the diff between a cell enabled iPad & a WiFi only one, you'll see a big difference in price. Since most computers won't use cell - there's probably little reason to add it.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I'm a bit surprised you're on DSL... is there no cable where you are?
    Comcast is the only option and there's no FIOS on my side of Falmouth. For Comcast I would have to have a wire strung to the house which would come down every time we have a wind storm, unless I paid to have it buried. And Comcast has, as you probably know, a terrible reputation for service. Friends of mind were out of phone service for a week last month during the third storm. My Verizon landline worked and my cell phone worked. And I have no desire for TV.

I don't think that internet access via cellphone is likely to be a long term trend.... cell tower capacities being what they are. Virtually all cell-tower related services, even if they advertise 'unlimited', have a provision for throttling your speed if 1) you use too much bandwidth, or 2) the system is congested.
    I suspect the reasons are more due to competition among providers, personally.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

And other things, too.

In fairness, Comcast's service has improved dramatically over the last few years - at least around here.

By buying business class for 2 years, they ran the cable in 1500 ft. for free (well - for the $90 basic installation fee). Hasn't come down yet.

If you get the unlimited plan with AT&T they throw in free HBO. Just sayin’.

Direct TV on a wifi only iPad works well. I love the casting feature. Saved me a bundle too. If you can mooch off another's internet account the saving add up. I use the smart phone as a hot spot when away from a wifi service for iPad. Still delivers good video when over 3 bars. Ask around for other people's Netflix account to get movies and docs - there is a certain satisfaction getting those services without shelling out the dough.

Also - you will be surprised how much free tv and movies on YouTube these days. It has become a passtime to see how many movies I love I can stream for free. Even CNN streams for free on YouTube.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 04-06-2018 at 02:34 PM.
    King Moonraiser:
    A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child.

I realize most of you watch TV, or movies on TV. That fits into your decisions about what you want in an internet service.

I don't do either, so getting HBO for free (not really) is not relevant.

All I want is fast internet for my computer and a smart phone. I have yet to figure out what good an iPad would do me. It's still not a computer, can't run more than one app at a time and way too small.

Watch out! Tomorrow's discussion topic may be "What do you need a computer for?"

And other things, too.

Yeah. What I have is a not-too-smart cell phone and a gizmo called "ellipsis jetpack" that could connect my phone to the internet - no need - and does connect my Mac to the internet. It's certainly fast and powerful enough to show photos, stream WGBH or WBAI or WOMR radio, and all that. It is said that it can handle traffic for up to eight devices.

I realize most of you watch TV, or movies on TV. That fits into your decisions about what you want in an internet service.

I don't do either, so getting HBO for free (not really) is not relevant.

All I want is fast internet for my computer and a smart phone. I have yet to figure out what good an iPad would do me. It's still not a computer, can't run more than one app at a time and way too small.

Watch out! Tomorrow's discussion topic may be "What do you need a computer for?"
    Michele will run 10 apps at a time on her iPad. Yes you can only look at one at a time, but switching between 'em is easy. The advantage is that it's really portable & with iCloud, her email & most everything else is automagically synced between her iMac, iPad & iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I think I read that Comcast is the Number 1 hated company in the US?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I've not had a TV for 20 years. I used to have a landline and DSL and it cost me $55 to $60 a month. I asked about getting rid of the phone but that was only a $5 saving.

I switched to cable internet through Spectrum FKA Time Warner, for $16 a month, it's much faster and would be faster still if I upgraded my router.

I ditched the landline and I miss it for business calls, where there may be a long hold time, but there are simple solutions for that. The 75% saving is wonderful. I held off switching to cable for a long time because it seemed too good to be true.

Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

It's reassuring to know that many of you here don't represent anything close to normal.

Of course they are not normal! They own wooden boats... <grin>
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Of course they are not normal! They own wooden boats... <grin>
    What's this "they"? You consider yourself normal?

To quote a Ben & Jerry's bumper sticker: Why be normal?

Verizon's smaller competitors are probably all wannabe bloodsuckers envious of Verizon's success at it.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Me normal? Hell no. I got it worse than most - I are boat drawer-er.

The mean you live in a bureau?

Ian--you wont get cell service 50 miles offshore. Five is more like it. Other than that, sounds like you have a great plan.

I am thinking of cutting back my cable to a basic TV service, Internet and no phone from a mid-level package including HBO,landline and Internet. The way it is structured I'd only save $15 bucks a month. This is with Optimum. For that little savings, I'll just enjoy the backup of the landline phone, and the occasional movie channel.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

"The mean you live in a bureau?" - Garret

Yes. I'd like to say I'm top-drawer, too, but alas, I don't have the requisite socks-appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Ian--you wont get cell service 50 miles offshore...
    SWMBO and I have found that we can get cell coverage at least 15 miles offshore... don't know about 50, though.

We quite intentionally used different carriers, for our cell phones. She's on Sprint, I'm on AT&T (for now), The theory was that at least one of them would have coverage, in spots where the other one doesn't...

....although I suspect that coverage, at least, on the East Coast, is now probably equivalent among all carriers. I believe that the 'minor' carriers, like Boost Mobile, lease their coverage from the majors, so the performance will be pretty much the same.

SWMBO and I have found that we can get cell coverage at least 15 miles offshore... don't know about 50, though.

We quite intentionally used different carriers, for our cell phones. She's on Sprint, I'm on AT&T (for now), The theory was that at least one of them would have coverage, in spots where the other one doesn't...

....although I suspect that coverage, at least, on the East Coast, is now probably equivalent among all carriers. I believe that the 'minor' carriers, like Boost Mobile, lease their coverage from the majors, so the performance will be pretty much the same.
    Don't bother bringing the Sprint phone to northern New England - it's pretty much a paperweight here. TMobile is just as bad.