Thread: how to repair this Caledonia Yawl?

Default how to repair this Caledonia Yawl?

file-2.jpg The owner of this Caledonia Yawl file-3.jpgwas about cut up this boat and bring it to the dump, when it was blown over while on the trailer. I wonder how to restore it. Any ideas?

Default Re: how to repair this Caledonia Yawl?

I’d start by taking some better pictures.

He may have been cutting it up for good reason. If the hull is rotten, salvage the rig and hardware, even the foils if sound. Then build another hull.

I did not take the pictures myself: I think it reflects the owners state of mind at the moment. Boat is not around the corner. And I don't think the hull was rotten. I am sure the damage is caused by the accident, blown over while strapped to the trailer. But your answers help me to decide what to offer him. If I will offer him anything. It's 3 hours frome where I live.

This was no accident! Look at the bite radius!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    This was no accident! Look at the bite radius!
    Still laughing...

I charge him for the disposal fee.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

If the ply is rotten or delaminated trash it. If it’s just broken, fix it .

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Ok, thanks, guess I must throw away my pink glasses

The spars must be worth something.
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

I would at least go and look at it. The photos tells us very little, it might only be the first strake and the gunnel.

There was a Wooden Boat article a year or so back on repairing a glue lap boat damage by being beached in a storm. Their example was a Caledonia Yawl with similar damage. Not sure of date or issue but if you can find the article it may help.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

On the subject of boats down on their luck and needing a new lover...

This Ness Yawl has been on and off ebay with no luck yet. Might clean up OK after a decent paint. Trailer's OK. £750. Scotland.

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=558258

Found it! Simmons, Walter J., author: "Repairing Glued-Lapstrake Hulls," 247:84
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Just so.

Am I understanding that you intend to repair and resell?

Always hard to be sure from just a couple of fotos, but I'd guess there was nothing wrong with the boat before the accident. But it won't be a simple repair. Getting the new planking to lay fair with such a patch job can be a challenge. But if you think you can manage it, I'd offer maybe $500 - 1,000. The spars and sails are worth more than that.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I understand 3 strakes are damaged. I think the plywood was Hechthout which is very good. I think the challenge be be to mirror both port and starbord. Another potential problem could be'diagonal damage', in this case the starbord side that looks ok might have stress damage that is harder to see. Glad there is a WB article about this type of repair: I can do good scarfs in plywood, but have never done one 'in situ'. Thank god for epoxy.

I understand 3 strakes are damaged. I think the plywood was Hechthout which is very good. I think the challenge be be to mirror both port and starbord. Another potential problem could be'diagonal damage', in this case the starbord side that looks ok might have stress damage that is harder to see. Glad there is a WB article about this type of repair: I can do good scarfs in plywood, but have never done one 'in situ'. Thank god for epoxy.

There was a St Ayles skiff that lifted into the water then found itself on some rocks knocking a hole or two in it. They repaired it with pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    They repaired it with pictures.
    So they just took a picture of a section of new boat and put it in the hole?
    Last edited by Dusty Yevsky; 04-05-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I’d start by taking some better pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Yevsky View Post
    So they just took a picture of a section of new boat and put it in the hole?
    Pretty sure that's what Steven was suggesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

If he was going to take it to the dump, just offer to take it for free. Worst case you get some nice hardware and spars.

I'd bet its repairable anyway.

I think $1000 is way too much. That is the going rate for a 60 footer in similar condition.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    If he was going to take it to the dump, just offer to take it for free. Worst case you get some nice hardware and spars.

I'd bet its repairable anyway.

I think $1000 is way too much. That is the going rate for a 60 footer in similar condition.
    Well, a good deal is - of course - whatever the two parties agree is a good deal.

My thinking is this -- if you're going to repair and resell it, you could pay $500 - 1,000 for the head-start, put some labor into it, and a bit of materials, and still make money. And the present owner doesn't come out of it empty-handed.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

If there's a trailer, I'd base my price on the value of the trailer. Fixing that boat is going to take a more than a bit of time, sweat, and money. Probably worth it in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Start by taking the covers off and shooting some decent photos! No way to tell what needs to be done by what is shown here, other than replace all broken wood!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Well, a good deal is - of course - whatever the two parties agree is a good deal.

My thinking is this -- if you're going to repair and resell it, you could pay $500 - 1,000 for the head-start, put some labor into it, and a bit of materials, and still make money. And the present owner doesn't come out of it empty-handed.
    I'm guessing the owner is already coming out not empty handed assuming it was insured. Insurance will never replace the full value, but at least he should have had some ​compensation. I'd offer him the value of the trailer.

I've spent the better part of the last 2 days removing and reinstalling a front door. Started as simple project to improve the reveals. Every step brought some new problem. Ended up taking it out and starting over. Demo, dutchmen, shims, threshold, weather stripping, trim, sheetrock, texture, paint etc. Still not done. New door is$300? Not sure a smashed boat is a head start. Buy it for trailer and parts value.

The owner gave me a price, 100 euro for the hull with bronze fitting, jibroller, 200 for the rig, 200 for trailer with new tyres and bearings 4 years ago, 250 for 2.3 Honda outboard, together 6oo euro. But I wont do it, I am reminded I first have to do the Zest Dinghy, my friend Marten Jan wants her(he is the other guy in my film 'Two luggers at play') and as he is a very good sailmaker she will be the fastest CY in Europe I think.

I am glad with the tip on lapstrake repairs by Walter Simmons, remember now him writing about it, also glad other nice glued clinker boats are still worth repairing. I allways carry Duct tape and my boats are mostly painted gray (with upper strake red). And I might paint an eye on the bow against evil.

So.. about $750 all up. I'd do that. The CY is a very nice boat - I'm sure your friend will have buckets of fun with her!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Geeze itís an epoxy built plywood boat , about the easiest thing to repair. Push it back into sort of shape, slap some more epoxy in the gaps .

When I get news, I 'll let you know

I'd sure buy the package for 600 Euros! Just the kit for a Caledonia Yawl is in the $10,000 range here in the states, and I've only seen one boat for sale recently, and the owner is asking $10,000, with the gunter rig, which requires stays.

The photo shows stays, so one expects a sloop rig. Frankly, at the money mentioned, it is a steal. I think we all know that the value of our dearest, is around the materials cost. The hours that we put in are what we enjoy, but not valued. Iain thought that that my boat would need 200 hrs. for the hull. That is for an experienced builder. I managed the boat and trailer in spare time over seven months, including sails. Likely I can expect to get back 3/4000 euros if I am lucky.
    FF I would expect a slightly better reaction in the Netherlands

Breaking news, my friend bought the CY. He told me the boat is nicely built, its a 4 planker and 6,10 m. It had a soft spot in another ondamaged strake, plywood seems SupraHecht, mahogany Hechthout, and I hope to see it soon and take pictures.

hhhttp://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gifttp://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gifttp://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

when I arrived yesterday repairs were allready in full swing. My friends father had helped him with tearing of the pine battens, they went very easy, and the plywood under it proved to be in reasonable condition. The worst was the port upper strake, and another piece of plywood was placed in the hole and buttered up with epoxy. The original strakes were made with butblocks which was not so obvious first for they were under the deck. Unfortunedly the deck had leaked in the lockers , causing some rot. During the accident the mast was also broken but a 16m2 mast, bigger then the otiginal was waiting to be re-used. Sails are not so good for the stitching seems rotten, but good enough to be used this summer and they will help to decide on the new sailplan. The rudder, the type in one piece, was maimed: The piece below the keel was sawn of and attched behind the underwater part, looking lika barndoor rudder. I proposed a Bolger style rudder with an endplate, instead af a rudder with a pivoting blade. Iain, btw, thinks this is a brilliant solution.
    I am lookimg forward to sail on this boat. Frank
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FF; 04-15-2018 at 02:49 PM.