Just bought a 2006 Caledonia Yawl, and have a few questions...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jtdums
    • Jun 2012

Re: Just bought a 2006 Caledonia Yawl, and have a few questions...

Originally posted by jtdums
    Thorne,
    What is the size of that Yamaha in the well?
    (Trying to do some planning and budgeting of my own.)
    Found my own answer in your other tread about transporting a 2.5...
    Beautiful boat by the way.

Comment

• WI-Tom
      Seaside Expat
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by FF
      Tom, I am referring to the book 'The folding schooner, and other adventures in boat design'.
      Ah, that makes sense--I forgot it was a book title. I think I've only read Boats with an Open Mind and the various instant boat manuals with (by) Dynamite Payson.

Tom
      Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Comment

• Peerie Maa
        Old Grey Inquisitive One
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Thorne
        I'll continue to play with the sails and I'm sure it will all work out. I was wondering about the attachment point primarily because hauling the mainsail yard to the top of the mast causes a lot of pressure on the parrel bead toggle roband -- making noises and grinding the beads on the mast. But if this is normal then I won't worry. ;-)
        Sounds as though the parral line is tied off too short. The metal traveller ring that rgthom posted is more normal, although in the Shetlands they would use a rams horn or bent root tied to the yard.
        It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
        The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• Thorne
          Like my hat?
          • Aug 2005

INTERESTING -- thanks, Jake! I may just give that a try if I've got a decent block the correct size.

Rick - I'd love to borrow it, and am "between contracts" right now, although usually busy on weekends.

Originally posted by Canoeyawl
          The "southern contingent" will be gunkholing starting on the week of 23rd>

I have a drawing of what eventually worked out for me as the best way. It's floating around the internets somewhere...

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
          Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Comment

• rgthom
            • Apr 2010

Rick - I'd love to borrow it, and am "between contracts" right now, although usually busy on weekends.
            It's in my car, will be at my Richmond office tomorrow. Stop by anytime.

Comment

• Thorne
              Like my hat?
              • Aug 2005

I borrowed the McMullen Traveler Ring™ from Rick, and we'll see how it works out. With the leather wrap it comes within 4' of the mast base, so I think that will work out fine. I slipped it over the halyard and flag halyard to see how it fit, but of course it is upside down -

IMG_8044.jpg

The way I understand it, the halyard ties off to the loop of the ring. The S-hook goes through a loop / grommet on the yard, you hoist away and everything works perfectly, right James McMullen? ;-)

Originally posted by rgthom
              I made one of those McMullen traveler rings. You can borrow it to try out, let me know and I'll bring it to Richmond.

Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Comment

• stromborg
                • Sep 2010

I borrowed the McMullen Traveler Ring™ from Rick, and we'll see how it works out. With the leather wrap it comes within 4' of the mast base, so I think that will work out fine. I slipped it over the halyard and flag halyard to see how it fit, but of course it is upside down -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14435[/ATTACH]

The way I understand it, the halyard ties off to the loop of the ring. The S-hook goes through a loop / grommet on the yard, you hoist away and everything works perfectly, right James McMullen? ;-)
                Yes, that is how the bits all come together.

I used a prussik hitch around the yard so I could play with how the sail set figuring I'd do something permanent eventually. Still using the prussik, marked with a bit of tape on the odd chance it moves in storage.
                Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
                H.A. Calahan

Comment

• MAGIC's Craig
                  • Apr 2001

Thorne:
                  If the ring is a fairly tight fit to the mast and the halyard is rigged inside it, the hauling part usually comes down the opposite side of the mast from the usual location of the hoisting hook when you are starting to hoist. I have found that this tighter fit can bind the halyard - in my case, just about the time a good gust comes along to belly out the sail - and things can become a bit "interesting" if there are nearby boats or buoys to avoid. Just a "heads up" for those first couple of times you try it out.
                  Craig

Comment

• Ben Fuller
                    • Jan 2000

My experience says it is pretty important to have the yard come down fast. If the ring is too tight it can bind up. I'd not rig the halyard inside the ring. The block with the halyard tied off on the end of the spar does go up and down easily. Down side is that the ring is really easy to rig, where as the block system needs a threading of the halyard and a tie off to the spar. These can be speeded up if the block lives on the halyard and there is a snaphook on a stop on the yard. A snap hook on a halyard rigged like that can be hooked to an eye on strop the end of the spar.
                    Ben Fuller
                    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
                    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Comment

• Thorne
                      Like my hat?
                      • Aug 2005

Thanks, Ben and Craig. I'll probably forego the ring and just go with the system as it is -- for now. I picked up a pelican clip at the boat show in Richmond a few days ago, and may try it or a shackle onto a grommet seized to the yard. I'm keeping the mainsail halyard permanently strung through the sheeve on the mast, so attaching a clip or whatever will be easy.
                      Last edited by Thorne; 04-22-2018, 12:31 AM.

Comment

• timo4352
                        • Jul 2010

I found that a ring bound up on my mast. Maybe I just made mine too small, but I now use the system in the pic and like it.

I do not have a block at #2, but just screwed on a brass padeye at the right spot instead, and run the line through that.
                        I also set up this spar catcher and I'm quite happy with that addition also:

http://stickupsharpie.wordpress.com/

http://gunningdory.wordpress.com/

Comment

• BBSebens
                          No Member
                          • Jan 2008

I am most familiar with James’ setup on Rowan, copied onto most of the Sail & Oar guys. The halyard hauls up the traveler ring, and all the connections remain close to the mast. The left and leach of the sail provide the tension to properly angle the yard. The downhaul, also next to the mast, is your primary trimming tool, and the halyard pretty much just hauls up the yard. This arrangement seemed to work well, but of course a system needs all its parts to function correctly. There are lots of ways to hang a sail off a stick.
                          There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

El Toro Dinghy Springline
                          12’ San Francisco Pelican Sounder
                          Laguna 18

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                            Old Grey Inquisitive One
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by BBSebens
                            I am most familiar with James’ setup on Rowan, copied onto most of the Sail & Oar guys. The halyard hauls up the traveler ring, and all the connections remain close to the mast. The left and leach of the sail provide the tension to properly angle the yard. The downhaul, also next to the mast, is your primary trimming tool, and the halyard pretty much just hauls up the yard. This arrangement seemed to work well, but of course a system needs all its parts to function correctly. There are lots of ways to hang a sail off a stick.
                            Just love that. It was the best way to do it, perfected over the centuries. Until folk started reinventing the wheel.
                            It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
                            The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• Thorne
                              Like my hat?
                              • Aug 2005

A few questions about the mizzen rigging.

1. Is the mizzen sheet tied off to the end of the boomkin, run through the block on the end of the boom, then led inboard to whatever system you use to hold and control the sheet (fairlead and camcleat in my case)?

2. Is a downhaul common on the mizzen sail? Mine has the other end of the halyard running back down the mast. Sail is laced to the mast and easy enough to pull down by just grabbing the sail - so I'm surprised to see a line for that purpose.

3. Does anyone have a brail-like line running from the end of the boom or clew of the mizzen sail? I'm used to Marconi sails that can be lowered onto the boom, or spritsails that can be brailed up, so can't figure out the best method to strike the sail without pulling the mast.

Comment

• Canoeyawl
                                • Jun 2003

The mizzen needs a tack, I don't bother with a downhaul on such a small sail. My mizzen is rigged like any jib headed sail with halyard, topping lift, vang, a conventional boom and gooseneck so I just lower it, and furl it onto the boom. If you had a light topping lift on that boom you could just furl the sail onto it....
                                It is awkward in that small stern to do anything while you are still under weigh so I usually jusy let the halyard go and pull it down, then deal with it in the harbor.

pm sent...

edit to add; Maybe not

"The following errors occurred with your submission

• Thorne has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."
                                Last edited by Canoeyawl; 05-02-2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...