Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Just bought a 2006 Caledonia Yawl, and have a few questions...

Default Re: Just bought a 2006 Caledonia Yawl, and have a few questions...

Next question: Tall trailer guide-ons -- any recommendations? When recovering my CY singlehanded, it tends to drift off the correct trailer position due to wind and/or current, and the boat is too heavy (as I discovered this past weekend) more me to lift it back onto the row of keel rollers. i had to back it back into the water 4x to get the boat positioned correctly so the keel roller metal frames didn't gouge the keel and hull.

Any suggestion for commercial tall trailer guide-ons, or tall rollers on posts? Due to the double-ended shape, the low roller guides probably won't work, as by the time they guide the widest part of the lower hull into place the keel will be off the 10" wide keel rollers. Plus I like the tall ones as they give you a sight line on trailer position when backing down the ramp -- and the good ones can have lights mounted on top, although I prefer to use a light board.

Thinking of something like these:

https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Traile...h/CE27626.html
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I have a set of these, only in white, for my Somes Sound. Mine is a significantly different hull form from yours, but it's still a small boat. Having the visual guide posts helps me a good deal in positioning. I once got the boat misaligned a bit in a cross current and the guide post held it's own without damage. The pvc isn't overly kind to my varnished rail but isn't all that damaging.

Regarding your main sheet length: The sheet in my boat is also too long but that's because I wasn't exactly sure how long to make it. So I erred on the conservative side. I ought to cut it shorter. Perhaps the previous owner of your boat was as neglectful?

Nice boat. Will you be bringing it to the WBF in Port Townsend this year?

Jeff

I think a pair of padded "bunks" that quide the boat work much better. Mine are about 6" from the hull.
    Part of the problem being that your boat gets narrower aft. I don't know how many times I have seen a boat sideways between the standard "posts" and the tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Next question: Tall trailer guide-ons -- any recommendations? When recovering my CY singlehanded, it tends to drift off the correct trailer position due to wind and/or current, and the boat is too heavy (as I discovered this past weekend) more me to lift it back onto the row of keel rollers. i had to back it back into the water 4x to get the boat positioned correctly so the keel roller metal frames didn't gouge the keel and hull.

Any suggestion for commercial tall trailer guide-ons, or tall rollers on posts? Due to the double-ended shape, the low roller guides probably won't work, as by the time they guide the widest part of the lower hull into place the keel will be off the 10" wide keel rollers. Plus I like the tall ones as they give you a sight line on trailer position when backing down the ramp -- and the good ones can have lights mounted on top, although I prefer to use a light board.

Thinking of something like these:
    I think that you have enough salient keel for this to work.
    Guide roller.jpgDSC03364.jpgfinished 004.jpg
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

It probably depends somewhat on your boat ramp, but I tried a pair of the tall guides and found them to be a nuisance as they interfered with the stern line (my ramp has a dock on one side so I tie off a stern line to keep the boat from escaping when solo launching). The best solution I found was to retro fit a pair of triangles to close the gap between the bunk and the keel roller so that the keel would be guided onto the roller. This is hard to explain, but if you look at the pic in post #90 there is space on either side of the keel roller where the keel wants to go. I put a triangle of Trex there so the keel has no choice but to go in the slot where the roller is. Once I get the bow aligned and the winch attached to the bow eye then the boat has no choice but to fall in line.

Thanks, Nick, looks like it might just work! I’ll see what I can find for guide rollers.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I think that you have enough salient keel for this to work.
    Guide roller.jpg
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Couldn't you mount the tall guides further forward on the trailer, so that they bear on the boat at its max beam?

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The problem I had originally with my Trailex, and which could be an issue with Nick's rollers, is that the boat had to be brought straight in and on center. Trying to load in the current on the Petaluma River, or in waves, you want something that leads it onto center gently.

The aft of my boat doesn't settle onto the trailer until I pull it up the ramp. During this time, the boat can drift to either side or rock side to side. Any of these movements are exaggerated at the keel. So she'd just as likely come down outside of or even on top of one of Nick's rollers.

Canoeyawl has a guide bar assembly on his trailer that I emulated for Emily Ruth. The sloped bars direct the keel to the center as the boat settles down. After I made mine I worried that they extend too high and would be in the way of the wide mid section so I took them off and never have tried them. But this thread has caused me to think about it again and I think I've worked out a way to "try it out" while in the shop. Anyway, I think the idea is sound.

My vertical guide posts are just aft of the widest section.

Jeff

Thorne, Attached is a pic from my trailer setup. I think it is very important to have the weight of the boat supported evenly along the keel, so I bolted a 4x4" 8 foot length onto the center of the trailer to supplement frame keel rollers. I use padded flat bunks to guide the boat along the inside edges of the bilge runners to center the boat onto the trailer. The flat bunks support very little of the boat weight, they just keep it in position and guide the launch and retrieval. I do most of my sailing single handed and find this works well even in windy conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by timber_cruiser View Post
    Thorne, Attached is a pic from my trailer setup. I think it is very important to have the weight of the boat supported evenly along the keel, so I bolted a 4x4" 8 foot length onto the center of the trailer to supplement frame keel rollers. I use padded flat bunks to guide the boat along the inside edges of the bilge runners to center the boat onto the trailer. The flat bunks support very little of the boat weight, they just keep it in position and guide the launch and retrieval. I do most of my sailing single handed and find this works well even in windy conditions.
    Thanks! I installed a series of three keel rollers in about the same location, along with the roller beneath the bow like the one in your photo, as I've had problems in the past with some boats "sticking" to wood planks on shallow ramps or when beach-launching. I may try adding bunks or bar-rollers to do that guiding process -- seems like a great idea.

The "fake wood" 2x4 or 2x6 used for decks around here are really slippery when wet.
    The cheaper they are the more slippery in my experience.

At the very aft end of my trailer I have installed some long rollers on either side of the straight keel roller which are v'd so they guide the boat straight before the side bunks come into play. I made them from 2 inch PVC running on a wood axle which I made from an old bit ot 1' 1/2" spar I had kicking around. I guess each is a foot or so long. My various boats are narrow enough in the stern so that these rollers only come in to contact launching and recovering.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

All three new keel rollers popped one end off their support brackets, but none fell off the trailer -- yet. These were the CE Smith ones, and none of the galvanized caps on the axles looked loose, so I'm not sure why the caps on either end (2 port and 1 starboard) came off...

As for oar storage, having one set on the rails and another sticking out over the bow worked well this past weekend at Big Lagoon. We ended up rowing one-to-an-oar when possible, and the slightly-short oars worked well that way.

These are junk, and will eventually damage your hull. The axle can work out unnoticed and if not hole your boat it will scar it. Of this I am certain.

I think I'd be inclined to pry off the push nuts and cross drill for a cotter pin or else just replace the roller pins with a thru-bolt and nyloc nut.

Great photos!

I've never really thought about why mine is the way it is or what is best or correct, but I note that your downhaul attachment point to the boom is forward of the mast by a foot or so, why is that? Do you have a parrel line around the boom?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    These are junk, and will eventually damage your hull. The axle can work out unnoticed and if not hole your boat it will scar it. Of this I am certain.
    For light oar and sail boats I've always replaced the rollers with a nice carpet covered full length 2x4 which fit these brackets nicely, only retaining the aft roller which is adjusted to be just shy of the keel when the boat is flat. I like the support that full length keel support gives. There is slippery stuff available to spray on the carpet, or just wet it before hauling the boat.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Jake - I hear you, and will probably drill two for pins and replace the one under the CB slot with a slippery plank of some sort. I like rollers as I've had real problems in the past getting boats off "belly planks" on shallow ramps or when beach launching. Once I had to pull the trailer back out of the water, tow the boat back up a bumpy dirt trail and tie it to a concrete post to get it 1/3 off the trailer -- then tow it back into the water and swim out to pull it off.

I use rollers to support the keel for sure. But they are urethane, tripled up with cotter pins nipped close.
    No chance of accidentally scarring the boat, and the thing will launch and retrieve in the parking lot, no ramp or water required (don't ask...)