Thread: NMEA 2000 wiring

Default NMEA 2000 wiring

I'm soon to install electronic equipment in our cruising yacht, Masina. All devices are NMEA 2000 compatible so it makes sense to me to develop a NMEA 2000 network.
    I have the following:

Chartplotter - Simrad NSS8
    VHF radio (GPS and DSC equipped)
    AIS transciever
    Antenna splitter
    GPS external antenna (not purchased yet)

I have two basic questions at this point -

The NMEA 2000 backbone will be connected to the house battery and have a 5A fuse. Do the other devices need to be connected separately to the power or will the NMEA 2000 backbone power them?

The Simrad manual warns against connecting the NMEA backbone to a start battery or battery connected to a windlass etc. (high current draw). But if I need to use the house battery to start the engine or raise the anchor, how do I ensure that I don't damage the NMEA network and various devices?

Grateful for any advice on this!

Rick

Default Re: NMEA 2000 wiring

There's a great video on Off Center Harbor re: connecting a NMEA 2000 network. There are also a lot of web pages.

The short answer is that the network carries power, but if the device has a high load, it will run separate power (like your chart plotter).

Easiest way to protect the network if you have to slave over the batteries is to shut down the network while drawing the power.
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

There are but I'm yet to find one that answers that first question! Each of the devices I'm installing has its own power connection. If I assume that I should connect all those and then also power the network, am I going to create a problem? I'll watch the video - thanks!

Rick

There's two power connector types. One is 4 amps and the other is 8 amps ( working). That rating is total for the network if you connect to power at the end of the network.

If you connect power in the middle of the network, you can supply the rated power to both sides of the networlk, for a total of 8 or 16 amps. You can add more power inputs as needed.

Voltage drop and margin of error apply. Give yourself a 10 percent amperage cushion to allow for longer runs, as well as to allow for degradation of the wiring over time.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thanks! I'm wondering if I really need to connect the radio to the network anyway. that would leave only the chartplotter, which I'll connect to power directly anyway, and the AIS. So really only the AIS powered by the network at this point.

Thanks for that Center Harbor video - very helpful!

Rick

I'm also looking for a GPS antenna. My understanding is that I can connect the antenna to the NMEA 2000 backbone and it will then send data to the AIS transceiver and the chartplotter, I wonder if I connect the antenna to either the chartplotter or the AIS, whether the data would then be shared in the same way? I suspect not.

Rick

Doesn't your plotter have its own GPS receiver built in? I understood the new ones did.
    For what it's worth my AIS needed it's own GPS receiver, but I bought a powered up splitter so it could share the vhf aerial with no efficiency loss. So at least I didn't need two vhf aerials.

Yes, the plotter has its own GPS but I'm a-thinkun' that where I'll need to place it, it mightn't get a clear signal. And as the AIS will need to be in the cabin, I ought to have an aerial for it anyway.

I have a powered splitter for the VHF aerial too.

Rick

^ Install one antenna to whichever device. The network will share the signal. You will have to go into the configuration settings of each device on the network and tell it which antenna to use. You do that just one time--or until you add/ or change antennae>

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thanks Kevin!

Rick

Good to know . 'Course, I'm stuck in the dark ages with me nema 0183 and hercules stuff from the 70's. Seatalk.

If your radio is a DSC unit it will need a GPS device to plot your position if you hit the button.

Good point! The radio does have DSC and GPS so it would make sense to hook it up too. Thanks!

Rick

If the radio has integral GPS, that should feed the DSC.

I need to think about this. Your AIS both transmits and receives? What does it draw?
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

I'll check the power needs of the AIS but I don't think it's much. It just seems to me that if I'm adding a GPS aerial anyway then I might as well hook all GPS instruments - plotter, AIS, radio, to it. The AIS and splitter have wiring for independent power too but as I'll be wiring separate power for the plotter and radio, only the AIS and splitter will be drawing power from the NMEA backbone so I think I can do without separate wiring for them. On the other hand, I may wire the AIS separately anyway to simplify turning it off! As I understand it ...

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 04-06-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Okay, GME AIS transceiver - av. consumption is 170 MA

https://www.gme.net.au/catalogue/navigation-and-sonar

Rick

I ordered a B60 Simrad transducer for my NSS8 chartplotter. Now I've been told that the B60 for Simrad/Lowrance is no longer available but that the SS60 is, and I should use that. But ..... Masina has a wooden hull, the B60 is bronze and the SS60 is, of course, stainless steel. Two suppliers have assured me that SS is just fine in all hulls, including wooden. Like hell it is!

Aaaanyway, after various discussions with Simrad and the original supplier, I'm getting a Furuno B60. All the B60s are made by Airmar anyway, they just have different plugs for different MFDs (plotters). They're including the Simrad plug so all I need to do is cut the Furuno plug off and splice the Simrad plug on. I think I'll get a local electronics company to do that. The Furuno works out $57 cheaper so hopefully that'll cover the cost of the reconnection!

Rick