Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you keep for food on your boat?

Default Re: What do you keep for food on your boat?

Wee Barkie caries staples of oatmeal ,pasta, tuna, peanut butter, olive oil, sugar salt and spices.

It happens to me fairly often. I go up to work on the boat and end up sailing instead, or overnighting. So I keep canned staples on board, and pasta, spices, oil, and lots of snack food.

A can can of Clam Chowder with a can of tuna added to it will fill you up.

The precooked microwave bacon lasts a long time.

Thanks again for all the ideas. I think part of the problem is cooking for one. A jar of ready made pasta sauce and a packet of pasta makes a good enough meal for 3 or 4, but if I'm on my own doing some work or sleeping on board overnight, I dont want to go that route. On our boat that problem is amplified because we tend to stock the boat for family cruising, so yes, we have dry goods like rice, pasta, flour, canned goods like soup, stew, and some large, as well as some small, cans of tuna and the like. But on my own, all I could see in the food locker that Was worth opening for a meal for one the other day was baked beans or creamed corn. Without toast. Not exactly gourmet, but it fills the space in my tummy. Anyway, went shopping on the way to the boat yesterday, to do a bit more dead light sealing work. Some sausages, to BBQ, which is fine if I'm planning on having a meal and stop at the shop on the way. Should have bought some salad too! Some Asian noodles. Some small cans of tuna. And a fresh supply of tiny cartons of Long Life milk for fresh coffee. We do percolated or plunger. I'd forgotten how easy and tasty a can of lunch tuna stirred through some rice is.

image.jpg

image.jpg

When you head for the boat, always take a hunk of fresh bread, a hunk of decent cheese, and a bottle of inoffensive bourbon. Just in case.
    M/V Pokalong
    1973 Grand Banks 42

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    I'm not sure if you can get them in Oz, but here we have some instant, sealed-packet Indian food called "Tasty Bites" that I keep aboard Bucephalus. Throw the packet into boiling water for five minutes and you've got a hot supper. Combine it with "boil in a bag" rice, and a few more minutes, and you've got a really good dinner. The madras lentils are especially good.

For lazy evenings, I keep cheese on hand (cheddar: chopped into 4oz chunks and waxed at home so they stay fresh) and pilot bread (big crackers, like modern hard tack). And a couple Clif bars. And good chocolate, of course.

Of course, 3-minute ramen noodles are the fallback.

Alex

I love Tasty Bites also. Our local Costco always has one variety, which changes occasionally.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Ben's rice. Various things in a pre-cooked pack.
    Pasta of varuious sizes and shapes. Seal it in big glass containers.
    Fairly bland tomato sauces for the pasta.
    Small serves (sandwich serves are good) of tuna, salmon, sardines, mussells, crab meat etc with assorted flavours, to add to the pasta sauces or to have with Uncle Ben.
    Vita Wheat biscuits and a big air tight container for when you open a packet.
    Eggs, but eat them and don't forget where they are.
    Porridge, muesli, powdered milk.
    Codials. Bickfords have a great range.
    Canned butter.
    Fruit cake, but see as for "eggs" above.
    There are some good "Mac and Cheese" style things of various flavours now that aren't gross.
    Soups, including caned and powdered.
    Honey in a squeeze bottle.
    Fruit cake.
    Oil.
    Hot Chocolate powdered drink.
    Fruit cake.
    Dried Parmesan to sprinkle on the pasta.
    Baked beans. Lots of beans.
    ... and more fruit cake.
    Develop a habit of bringing a small qhntity of fresh food and take home what you don't eat that trip.

ETA salt and pepper grinders and dried herbs and spices.
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 04-10-2018 at 04:27 AM. Reason: I forgot the herbs and spices
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Got fruit cake, of course. And baked beans. But that's where we started!

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    You can turn rum into food by adding orange juice y'know.
    This is genius!

Ok so we've had some awful weather the last couple of days. Thought I'd pop down to the boat. Make sure the dock lines, halyards and everything else isOK. And it's about lunch time. A quick search through the lockers, well an archeological dog really, came up with some of the favourites mentioned above. For the moment I'm going with cup o soup. Might flush that down with a beer. Boat is all good btw.

I already keep digestives and Hobnobs aboard, but I may need to search out fruit cake. That looks awfully tasty, and it sounds at though it stores well. So does cream of chicken soup look good. I think it's time to expand the variety in Bucephalus's pantry.

Alex

I reckon a coat of varnish or something to stop rust would be a Very good idea. A pin hole in that can and you could end up dead from botulism.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Corned Bait
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I reckon a coat of varnish or something to stop rust would be a Very good idea. A pin hole in that can and you could end up dead from botulism.

I reckon the stuff could kill you fresh from the supermarket. Gawd knows how long it's been aboard, or who snuck it onboard in the first place. I suspect that bunch of crazy lads who sailed up from Hobart a couple of years ago. Luckily cooky had the good sense to leave in the back corner of a locker.

Corned beef tastes ok, but it is a bit off putting to inspect it too closely... have you noticed the occasional little tube thing... maybe they're blood vessels? If you can choke down corned beef then spam shouldn't be too much harder than that to eat. Both of these items fry up pretty well.

I needed to go check the boat today owing to the onset of some decent rain accompanied by strong wind. Check on deck leaks chafe guards sail covers etc. it's just as cold and windy at home so as I sometimes do I've decided to make a lazy day of it and snuggle down with a book. We always have some rice and a good stock of those lunch sized cans of tinned fish on board. So I served up mild chilli salmon stirred through rice. Washed down with a glass of red and followed by a lie down. Very pleasant thank you very much.

Very civilised.

Paperback E-book

A great book too.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Always peanut butter...that's its own food group!

Pasta with canned salmon and peas...heaven.

Black beans and rice.

SabreWife always keeps various bars aboard...granola bars, Kind bars, that sort of thing.

Oh...there is always a bottle of Boodles in the fridge.
    Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

I cook a little on my sailboat in my sea swing kerosene stove.
    So I bring
    1. Food that just needs to be reheated
    Home cooked Stew, canned soups, instant soups, SpaghettiO, Chef Boyardee Ravioli, etc
    2. Food that needs a little cooking
    Eggs, Spam, rice, mac and cheese, pasta and sauce, etc.
    3. Food that needs simple baking
    Bread Mix and Muffin Mix.

I have a pressure cooker but I have not tried a big crook-pot style meal like pot roast.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I reckon the stuff could kill you fresh from the supermarket. Gawd knows how long it's been aboard, or who snuck it onboard in the first place. I suspect that bunch of crazy lads who sailed up from Hobart a couple of years ago. Luckily cooky had the good sense to leave in the back corner of a locker.
    i was hoping to hear about that homemade organic gluten-free vegemite that was completely vegan, refined for spreading and sugar-free that had an indefinite shelf life you folks were fond of eating.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

MRE’s. The US Taxpayers paid a lot of money developing these meals so they gotta be good, tasty and well balanced nutrition dammit!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    i was hoping to hear about that homemade organic gluten-free vegemite that was completely vegan, refined for spreading and sugar-free that had an indefinite shelf life you folks were fond of eating.
    Of course we do have a jar of Vegemite on board. But it goes with fresh bread or toast. So it only gets used when we've provisioned for a cruise.

Vegemite makes the old sao crackers mildly more interesting.