Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you keep for food on your boat?

Default What do you keep for food on your boat?

I've popped down to the boat this evening to put a quick coat of paint on a couple of hatches before I rebed their lexan deadlights. It's about an hours drive from home for a 15 minute job so might as well relax enjoy the boat and stay aboard for dinner and a glass of wine. Which brings me to the topic. I can go get some takeaway. Greasy and more money gone. Or make do with what's on board. We try to keep a few things on board for such occasions. Always good for tea and coffee. That's easy. But dinner? I'm torn between 2 minute noodles, baked beans or creamed corn. Surely I could do better. Help me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: What do you keep for food on your boat?

For more stylish meals or just nutrician?
    I keep bee pollen, spirulina,tumeric, all in capsules , to prevent getting “jittery” if and when I skip meals.
    Popcorn is easy and fun on the boat.
    I recon a grabbing a small bag of groceries on the way to the boat of stuff you like to eat is the thing.
    Do you ever get hungry looking at the photos of food Russ whips up on Slogin ?
    Hes got it down!

French lentils( the orange ones) cook in 20 minutes.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 04-12-2018 at 12:06 AM.

I guess non perishable stuff. Heat and serve. Just staples to keep on board so there's always something at hand if meal time comes along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A can of black beans, a small-ish can of tomatoes, a small can of green chilies, and lime juice mixed up in a bowl makes for a tasty no-heat, no-refrigeration dinner.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Wandering Star is a cruiser. I stock her extensively for cruises, there are always foodstuffs aboard. Canned soup, packets of tuna salad, canned veggies, chili, crackers, peanut butter and jelly, noodles, pasta, rice, sardines, ramen etc. Loaves of bread keep very well in their wrappers. Onions and garlic last too. There are plenty of good quick meals to make with canned meats or a cooked chicken. Eating well is one of the few homey comforts on a boat.

My boat is an open powerboat used for the day ( sometimes overnight). I keep a case of bottled water aboard; sourdough pretzels in a jar stay well; a few cans of sardines; individually wrapped packs of peanut butter crackers; trail mix; "granola"/ Energy bars, individual servings of breakfast cereal ( can be munched on dry).

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Cans of soups, small bags of chips and unopened various cracker dolmas in olive oil in tins , sardines in mustard tins, smoked oysters, often summer sausages, cans of sauerkraut, ketchup and mustard in foil packages, various cliff power bars, chocolate bars with almonds, a bottle of rum, ginger beer, coffee, can of milk and water.

i try to restock or rotate out a once every other month. I carry it also just in case I run aground or need to wait out a window. A hot meal when chilled to the bone makes those who sail with me a bit happier even on cold foggy summer days or when I take that afternoon nap on a sunny winter day in a warmed cabin.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Granola bars, Cliff bars. I'm not very sophisticated.

Cream of potato soup. Hearty and easy to heat up from a can. Any canned soup really.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I'm not sure if you can get them in Oz, but here we have some instant, sealed-packet Indian food called "Tasty Bites" that I keep aboard Bucephalus. Throw the packet into boiling water for five minutes and you've got a hot supper. Combine it with "boil in a bag" rice, and a few more minutes, and you've got a really good dinner. The madras lentils are especially good.

For lazy evenings, I keep cheese on hand (cheddar: chopped into 4oz chunks and waxed at home so they stay fresh) and pilot bread (big crackers, like modern hard tack). And a couple Clif bars. And good chocolate, of course.

Of course, 3-minute ramen noodles are the fallback.

Alex

Ice cubes and barley sandwiches?

We try to retire canned goods at the end of the season, bringing them home to eat.

Otherwise they can stay there forever.

On a crabber I helped take up to Kodiak from Anacortes, there was a can of S&W Lima Beans and Ham with Sauce. Some research after the trip revealed that S&W stopped making that concoction (wonder why?) in the late 1970's
    Last edited by Bobcat; 04-04-2018 at 11:30 PM.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Some good ideas there, thanks. Rotating stuff is an issue. We are a test bed for just how far beyond the use by date you can go!

I usually keep a big tub of trail mix, the usual Clif/Kind bars, and a mix of adult beverages on board. When we're going to be down on the boat for a while we'll grab whatever out of the pantry. We're only ten minutes from the boat, so stocking is pretty easy. We're looking forward to a longer trip in a couple of weeks and I think we'll make up and freeze a big lasagna to try out the oven with...haven't had one to use before this. Maybe some bread if we feel ambitious?

Buckwheat makes a good base for a meal. Available from any health food shop and keeps indefinitely.

• Combine 1 cup buckwheat groats and 2 cups water in a pot. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
    • Drain off any excess liquid. If using in a salad, rinse with cold water and drain well. Makes about 2-1/2 cups.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Rice or pasta topped with anything to hand (tinned tuna, sardines, tinned tomatoes, salami, beans, dried peas, etc) and some basic flavouring (salt, pepper, chilli, basil, cumin, soy sauce, or whatever). Lentils can be good to experiment with too.

Boat Food is one of the reasons I just do daysailors. Anything canned has toxic levels of salt in it, for those of us who are sensitive to excessive salt. Most other precooked or processed foods are just as bad.

One thing I have found that makes excellent snack food, without all that salt, is Malt-O-Meal Frosted Mini-Spooners.

regards,
    Joe
    These days, everything I do is just "puttering around"

Chartering in the British Virgin Islands in 1976, we allowed the company to provision the boat. That saved some time and planning but produced meals that may not have been of the highest quality. On the last day, we offered the seagulls their choice of some "edibles" that we judged fit only for the birds. They snapped up the bacon-flavored chips but, after an initial taste, flatly rejected the Froot Loops. We concluded that their palates were more sophisticated than those of some human children.
    Peter Belenky

Cabbage lasts forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Back when I was a kid and rock climbing with my cousin we made up a concoction of Rice-A-Roni, chili, chunks of summer sausage and cheddar cheese. Frankly, I wouldn't recommend it to anything in possession of living taste buds.

Canned stuff, pasta, dried food, etc. - no refrigeration required.
    (Remove the labels from the cans and write with a magic marker what is in them)
    Take it all home at the end of summer and replenish again before a cruise.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

2 minute noodles for my little fella, 8yr old, the minute he gets on the boat he's hungry. He's cooking noodles while i'm sorting out the mooring, usually eating them before we're underway.
    I keep pasta and rice in sealed containers, with a jar of pasta sauce in the cupboard for an emergency dinner. Various jars of pickled things like olives and such. tins of tuna - salad and pasta meals.
    I use these pretty good 'coffee bags' for coffee. i think it makes better coffee than a cafetiere and easier than the little gas heated espresso maker. They are individually sealed in their own little wet weather gear.

I usually have a liter of chicken stock around, use that with the 2 minute noodles and you have a surprisingly homely soup. If you have some pulled chicken and a tin of smashed corn to throw in, great - takes.... 2 minutes.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

four course meal?

But seriously - try out the freeze dried hiking meals like the Back Country ones from any camping shop, I’ve been very surprised how tasty and nutritious they’ve turned out to be, once you get over the “meat” having more of a texture of wet cardboard than anything resembling meat. They have a good shelf life and are very easy to prepare with nothing else needed than hot water.

(The honey soy chicken is my favourite)

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Mmmmmmm Guinness!

I worry for some of you guys (chuckle).

Case of organic black beans and case of Rotel. Mix 1:1. Quick, tasty healthy, filling.

You can turn rum into food by adding orange juice y'know.

I want to add that in the last couple of years, I have been stowing canned Starbucks espresso aboard ( no connection , etc) . They are quite good, and handier than bringing the thermos or breaking out the camp stove ( both of which I also do). Needless to say, I am a coffee fiend, so YMMV.

K
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Anything canned has toxic levels of salt in it, for those of us who are sensitive to excessive salt.
    I agree about the salty canned food --though I used to live on Chunky "Sirloin Burger" soup when out cruising (Chunky brand soups don't need additional water, which was great for small boat sailing). Try the TastyBites. They're pretty good, and not horribly salty. Vegetarian, too, which I like.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    You can turn rum into food by adding orange juice y'know.
    rum, iits not just for breakfast anymore. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Cabbage lasts forever.
    fart
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 04-05-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    I worry for some of you guys (chuckle).
    thirty posts in and nobody has mentioned cheese whiz or tactical bacon, wth?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    My boat is an open powerboat used for the day ( sometimes overnight). I keep a case of bottled water aboard; sourdough pretzels in a jar stay well; a few cans of sardines; individually wrapped packs of peanut butter crackers; trail mix; "granola"/ Energy bars, individual servings of breakfast cereal ( can be munched on dry).

Kevin
    This is more like what I do. None of my boats live in the water, but some are stored remotely, and it's nice to be able to grab a power-bar or somesuch if the need arises.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Spam. I just remembered.

Best forget again JB!

Yes , maybe so. I made some disparaging remarks about spam on faceplant when we were provisioning the boat for last year. man, did you know its considered a delicacy / luxury in some places?

There's a Fray Bentos pie!! Now thats on another level mmmmm.

Take a look for inspiration of quick good meals. Keep the dry goods and spices on board, buy the fresh on the way over.
    https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...-minute-meals/