Thread: Refasten Strip Planking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Refasten Strip Planking

Wandering Star is 50 this year, time to refasten below the water. The very best method is to remove all of the old fasteners and replace with the next larger size. I've been down that road, it's madness. Too many screws break, or the head strips. Patented tools can remove old screws, but it isn't quick, and often damages surrounding wood more than simply drilling another hole. WS has 1.25" square strips, edge nailed and glued, and glued and screwed to the frames. Every other plank is screwed to doubled sawn frames. I can add another screw in the virgin plank, then every plank would be fastened at every frame. Or I can add a screw close to the old screw, leaving the next plank sound. The frames are wide and deep, there is no danger of hurting them. Either way, I doubt the work will hurt the hull. Has anyone here refastened a stripper? What did you do and why?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Refasten Strip Planking

You are talking of the fastenings was into the frames ... not the vertical nails, cuz if they need refastening, it’s time to re plank or scuttle the boat .
    What is the indication the boat needs re fastening John? Are the frames coming loose?

Yes Bruce, to the frames. I don't believe it is possible for the frames or planks to come loose, but the last time I pulled screws for a survey, I thought they were due. It has been 50 years. I really am refastening as much for the insurance company as for the security of belt and suspenders strength. I would prefer to pull all of the old screws, but I started on four today and removed only one. She can only sit where she is until May 15, pulling the screws would take until Summer.

I have no experience, but screwing the virgins seems like a good idea. No seriously, it makes a lot of sense and I can't see a downside. Just use compatible screws with the existing.

Hey! This is a family forum!

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Bet this thread shows up on google for all the wrong reasons. I won't list the keywords as they make a sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    It's difficult to explain virtue signalling, as I was just saying to my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop.

I didn't even ask about bungs!

You might consider the Cutts Method. I know this has been discussed here. (To what end I don't know or care). I'm not endorsing the method but just saying it is an alternative to refastening. http://cuttsandcase.com/advantanges.html

Plus 1 to what Phil Y said.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

There is a reason that a pattern is followed to fasten every third plank on every second frame, or something similar to that, on strip planked boats.
    One would not drop in 4 screws on a 6 inch carvel plank, we can see the overfastenong would weaken the wood, postage stamp tear on the dotted line thing.
    Did the surveyor actually say he wants to see more screws in the hull?
    The strength is in the nails inside the hull skin .
    I am having trouble with the theory.
    Long ago I was offered for free a nice H28 that an amateur builder had bailed on , but he had made a huge mistake of screwing every single strip to every single frame. I passed on the boat. I seemed to be the only one horrified by what the fellow had done.

I worry about that too. I think if it was my boat, I'd cut the old screws right out of the planking with a hole saw that's larger than the screw heads. You should then be able to withdraw the old screws more easily. Then I'd epoxy in new plugs and put in new screws and plugs/bungs.

Our boat is strip-planked and very strongly built with very short distances between frames. The frames are screwed to the planking from inside. Your frames might be too thick for that but it might be another option which would result in less of a perforated plank issue than putting more screws right through the planking.

Rick

The surveyor has not suggested a refasten, but does require screws be drawn from several areas of the hull for examination. If not this time, next time too many screws will fail. While she's spending a rare winter out of water is the time to do the work.
    RFNK, having spent many weeks removing old screws once before, I don't see it as practical. Too much labor, too much skin damage.
    I tend to agree with both of you to leave the intact planks intact. My theory is that another screw near the current one will do the least harm. That's not possible with a bent frame carvel boat, the frames aren't wide enough, and the potential stress on individual planks might split them. I think in horizontal line an inch from the old one should do.
    I'm also thinking of puttying them instead of bunging, largely to tell them apart for future surveys. Epoxy putty is too hard to remove. Anyone use something softer?

If you don't countersink any deeper than necessary into the unscrewed planks it won't do any harm at all. Screwing an inch forward or aft of the existing screws is setting yourself up for split planking. You're lucky, this time the easiest is the best.

If you drill with a holesaw fairly widely around the old screw, you can get narrow-beaked Visegrips onto the old screw and they USUALLY come out alright. You don't need to go too deep, just enough to get the Visegrips on. But not wishing to harp on this - you're the one there who's probably already tried most things!

The only soft putty I can think of that'll fair well and won't fall out, would be epoxy with a higher proportion of fairing filler.

Rick

Thanks Rick. On my old Friendship I pulled all of the screws. I'd have to check my old logbooks to find what worked best. I started with a screwdriver bit in a brace, those that just spun were pulled with tiny needlenose pliers. The frozen ones got needlenose vice grips or patented screw removal bits. Way too late I decided just to double up the bad ones, except those in butts and hood ends. After that I went to work on the backbone. Then I gave the boat away.
    I'll report my progress on this project.

On wasted bronze screws the best method a found was to use a new tapered bit a #10 and drill into the center until the bit spun the screw. The screw could be pulled out with the bit while it was spinning without problem. Bungs glued in with epoxy pose the biggest time waster.
    Last edited by navydog; 04-05-2018 at 07:38 AM.

For future reading: The bungs come out of this hull with a bent pick. On the last one I would drill them with a slightly smaller bit and scrape the sides out. I found that an old 1/2" chisel with the blade ground square did a good job cleaning the hole and the head.
    I just don't have the time to do 1200 of those before mid May when we're still getting snow here.

There is almost always a dilemma of time, money or both when it comes to fixing things that impacts quality. Rarely is there enough of either to go about things in the best way.

My wife and I are on the Island for a few days visiting family and friends.
    I took a drive down to Mt. Sinai harbor this morning to check out Wandering Star. That 50 year old strip planked hull is in beautiful condition! Where you have it wooded down by the keel, the planking looks like it was put on yesterday. I can't for the life of me figure out why more boats aren't strip planked. Perhaps it's more labor intensive to build, but the dividends of having a much sturdier and watertight hull are well worth it in my humble opinion.
    Anyways, you have a long task ahead of you refastening. But, there seems to be no urgency since the hull is fair with no evidence of planks pulling away, etc. The only drawback is hauling the boat when you usually leave her in the water year round.

Also looks like the nor'esters tore up the beach pretty good. Any word on sandbars messing up the inlet out at the end of the jetty?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

What do you mean by thinking it's about time? Are the screws wasted? Usually if they are corroded to any serious degree they don't pull out. If you got them out, maybe you're borrowing trouble.

Keeping her in year round utterly conquers one of the major reasons boats need refastening: the drying/wetting-shrinking/swelling cycle effectivly enlarges the screw holes. You don't have that. And the cycle actually accelerates corrosion beyond what happens is the boat stays wet.

If she ain't broke, don't fix her.

Going further with Ian thoughts.... you've kept her in the water year round since you bought the boat around ten years ago. I know you bought the boat in Florida: do you know if the boat was in water year round during her first 40 years?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Hi Rich. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that she has never been out of water for this long before. I am only the third owner, the first had her built and kept her for decades. The builder used first class materials and workmanship. She has virtually no rot anywhere.
    There is a great debate about the inlet. The harbor was dredged a few years back and changed the flow enough to cut back the thumb and cove west of Ralph's. The town had to put stone on the beach to save the road. After that the south side of the west jetty washed through. The current now regularly runs at four knots and the inlet started to narrow. The town has used the half measure of "dredging" with construction equipment and placing buoys. All of this while waiting for every level of government to agree on a solution and provide permits. That work should be done next winter. I hope that some savvy engineer can tell them how to dig to not repeat the problem. I would not regularly sail Captain Tom in and out as I used to.

Update: As I remove some paint, I find that in the upper part of the hull the screws are farther apart, every fourth strip. I will add screws in between. I may try to remove screws in areas with tighter patterns and replace those which come out under normal persuasion.