Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: A Kurylko Alaska in Georgian Bay

Default Re: A Kurylko Alaska in Georgian Bay

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I'm curious about your tiller tamer--why do you need to change the tension? I've found with the set-up I'm describing here that no adjustments are necessary. Once it's set up you can steer as normal, but tension is just right to hold the tiller solidly in place whenever you let go--no adjustments needed. Have you found some benefit I'm not thinking of to adjustable tension?

Either way, it's a crucial piece of gear for me.

Tom
    My sailing conditions are far from ideal with gusty, shifting winds and significant chop from both wind against current over shallow water and powerboat wakes, both direct and reflected from the banks, I'm typically actively steering and shifting my weight around. When I'm actively steering I prefer the tiller to move freely and I like the hand feel of just a little weather helm. It's a personal preference more than anything else. I raise sail, reef, and drop sail on the water because the ramp is a hundred or so yards up a narrow creek that the wind funnels down that has a lot of boat traffic, so I have to row. The water can be jumbled enough at the mouth that waves will slap the rudder hard enough to move the tiller unless it's locked down more than I want it when sailing. So, I like being able to quickly adjust tension. I run the line through an eye bolt set in a a slot so with a simply turn of a wing nut I can adjust the tension from hard lock to running free. It's probably overkill, but it cost me less than a dollar for the bolt and nut and about an hour to shape some scrap. It's not necessary, and for the vast majority of people the bungee approach is going to be the way to go.

Thanks for the reply--that makes sense. It's true that with my system, the tiller stays where it is when you let go. You do need to be aware the boat will just keep sailing right along and not react normally by luffing up, for example, when you are hand steering.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    Tom, this one's a keeper. Captures what sail and oar cruising is all about.
    Yeah, that picture's one of my favorites.

Do you have anything planned for Firedrake this summer?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogsnight View Post

Tom
    very nice video - what camera and what editing program are you using ?[/QUOTE]

Finally got around to checking my camera. It's a Nikon Coolpix (camera also has "Nikkor" written on the casing around the lens, whatever that means), with 14X optical zoom and full HD video.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Do you have anything planned for Firedrake this summer?

Tom
    Tom, Apologies for the late reply - wasn't paying attention.

Nothing major this summer. Maybe a week or two close to home, not necessarily consecutively.
    Alex

"“He was unfamiliar with the sea and did not like it much: it was a place that made you cold and wet and sick” " Nevil Shute, Trustee From the Toolroom

Finally got around to checking my camera. It's a Nikon Coolpix (camera also has "Nikkor" written on the casing around the lens, whatever that means), with 14X optical zoom and full HD video.

Tom[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Tom!
    I have Fuji FinePix SL1000......it's similar to your Nikon. My son just got Akasa action camera, now we are looking for some simple editing program. Would like to film my boats and motorcycles this summer - and simple editing program is a must.
    Your Alaska video is showing how this should be done. Really gives viewer the real feeling of the trip - just can not stress enough how much I have enjoyed it.
    Thank you Tom !

Wojo
    1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    1985 Glen L15 - 1980 Johnson 7.5 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Tom, I finally got caught up and got through this entire thread. Sounds like a fantastic place to sail, row, and mess about. The scenery is beautiful.

I have camped on many granite outcroppings while backpacking both in California and Alaska. The rocks have always seemed like a perfect place to be. I love it. Thanks so much for sharing this experience and for sparking my own memories.

Do you have any idea why the videos don't show up for me? I see all the photos just fine. Possibly some setting in my own computer... sigh.

Thanks again.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Do you have any idea why the videos don't show up for me? I see all the photos just fine. Possibly some setting in my own computer... sigh.

Thanks again.

Jeff
    Thanks for the comments--yeah, the Sierra granite is nice stuff, too. I have no idea why the videos aren't working for you--does this direct link to Youtube work for you? Then at least you can see the little movie in post #74:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9csEVtgGKkA

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

That works. Thanks.

Jeff

Glad it worked--that video compilation includes just about all of the videos from the thread, anyway, plus a couple of extra ones.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

A few more photos from the trip in semi-random order. Heading back toward Spanish from the Benjamin Islands:

DSCN2859.jpg

And an attempt to show off the Dabbler Sails mainsail--I've been really happy with this sail. It sets well, looks good, and the 5 oz cream Dacron (Contender cloth, I think) seems just about right:

DSCN2856.jpg

Alaska is a small boat--18' long but I'd say about the same interior volume as my brother's 15' Phoenix III. Narrow beam, long and slender. You can see the low freeboard in this photo.

DSCN3495.jpg

www.tompamperin.com

One of things I wondered about in comparing the Alaska to the Phoenix III was how the seating would work out. In the Phoenix III, the side benches allow you to slide forward and aft for optimal trim:

DSCF8287.jpg

As designed, Alaska would theoretically have a ketch mizzen mast stepped on the aft side of the aft-most thwart, limiting seating options for the helmsman, and there are no side benches anyway. Leaving out the mizzen as I'm doing, it's easy to sit on the aft-most thwart facing forward or sideways (either is quite comfortable, and allows you to put your weight far enough forward for good trim), and use a tiller extension or a short loop of line (actually bungee in this photo but I think I'd prefer line) tied to the tiller for steering:

DSCN3310 cropped 2.jpg

Or, of course, let the $.59 autopilot steer for you while you sit wherever you want:

DSCN2850.jpg

That last photo also shows my tiller extension, a simple pine stick attached to the tiller with THIS HARDWARE from Duckworks, and held in place with an elastic hair tie when stowed. I thought the swivel connection was a little bulky for my taste, but it was FAR cheaper than all the other tiller extension hardware I was able to find--and in practice, it works fine, so I'm perfectly happy with it.

Another seating option off the wind, when you want to get your weight farther aft, is the very comfy "lounging on the keel just forward of the sternsheets, with feet on thwart" position, which I find myself using on long broad reaches or runs:

DSCN2725.jpg

The view from the helm:

DSCN2722.jpg

So, lots of different comfortable seating options in my mizzen-free Alaska--one of the reasons I'm happy to go without that second mast, even if it does cost me 49 sq ft of sail area. I may be rowing a bit sooner with a smaller rig, but the Alaska rows so well that that's no hardship at all.

www.tompamperin.com

Well, I did it. Achieved fame--at least for my boat. Fortune, not so much. But this week's Off Center Harbor email about new offerings for members includes a link to my video of this Georgian Bay trip. It's posted in their "Flotsam" section (which is just about right, I think).

I can now retire from cruising in peace and buy a large-screen TV instead, having reached the apex of the sail and oar world. My Alaska will look nice sawn in half and set vertically in the corner of my living room with some shelves inside. Now I just need a house with higher ceilings, and a few trinkety things to put on the shelves.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

I agree, no more to achieve in the sail and oar world.
    Nothing to do now but buy a Bayliner and install the flat screen TV in it, along with a satellite link and a good size generator for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alex

"“He was unfamiliar with the sea and did not like it much: it was a place that made you cold and wet and sick” " Nevil Shute, Trustee From the Toolroom

I agree, no more to achieve in the sail and oar world.
    Nothing to do now but buy a Bayliner and install the flat screen TV in it, along with a satellite link and a good size generator for them.
    The goal of every S&O sailor out there - right?

Congrats to Tom though!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Well, thanks, but congratulations may be a bit misplaced. OCH only ran it after I emailed them a link and pestered them myself. But it's fun getting it out there to more viewers.

A Bayliner is a pretty big step, but maybe I'm ready for it!

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

A Bayliner is a pretty big step, but maybe I'm ready for it!
    You should start with a jet ski.
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman View Post
    You should start with a jet ski.
    Go big or go home. After much soul searching, I've come to the conclusion that it's only right that since I'm abandoning the sail & oar genre, I should start something new--I'll call it "motor & rotor cruising." And so I've decided this will be my next boat:

yacht.jpg

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Perfect, because when you're up the coast and you get a craving for pizzeria pizza what ya gonna do when you don't have a 'copter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AJZimm; 09-16-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    Alex

Perfect, because when you're up the coast and you get a craving for pizzeria pizza what ya gonna do when you don't have a copter?
    You know it, baby!

DSCN5816.jpg

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

All right, enough of this nonsense. Back to the real thing, from this year's trip to Georgian Bay:

DSCN5653.jpg

The September issue of Small Boats Monthly has an article and photos from my 2018 cruise, so I won't say much here for now. But if you haven't been to Georgian Bay yet, what are you waiting for?

DSCN5643.jpg

Go small, go now. Go again.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Not Georgian Bay,but it's over there,just a coupla km towards the sunrise.
    image.jpg
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Where's that, Ron? Near Killarney?

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Cameron Lake, SE of Tobermory.

image.jpg

The mitt shaped one in the middle of the dirt part.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Ron,

thanks for the reply. That whole side of Georgian Bay looks so different from the Thirty Thousand Islands--not nearly as much shelter for small open boats, it seems. Still, I've wondered about a jaunt down the west side along the Bruce Peninsula someday. Any thoughts on that?

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

It could be fun, given a good forecast.
    There is decent shelter to be had and plenty of launch ramps,in lots of small harbours,for shallow draft boats.
    It is pretty built up, but in a pleasant, small village sort of way.
    From my door to the ferry is about 75 minutes,so if things go to crap,you have lots of options.
    South of the Peninsula,it's less promising, with open beaches and not many place to hide.
    The government chart 2292, works,but Navionics has much more detail,despite not showing some local bouyage.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Good to know--thanks.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Do you have any advice on trailering a boat into Canada from the US for a couple week visit? Can it be a big hassle coming or going?

Quote Originally Posted by keelhauler View Post
    Do you have any advice on trailering a boat into Canada from the US for a couple week visit? Can it be a big hassle coming or going?
    I've never had any hassle at all--much easier than trying to clear Customs after sailing from the U.S. to Canada. (Actually, getting into Canada is pretty laid back; getting into the U.S., not so much). Of course, that's on the Great Lakes--might be different near the coasts.

Canadian Customs did do a 15-minute search through my car once while trailering a boat through, but it was no big deal. Usually it's just a few questions ("Where are you going? How long will you be there? Business or pleasure?") and they've waved me through. I think the longest I've stayed was 40+ days, and there was no hassle with a longer stay, either. You do need a passport.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Your thread brought back a lot of memories. Our family's first cruise in that area was in a 18 foot lapstrake hulled Cruisers Inc. powerboat we trailered up from lower Michigan towed by our new 1962 Plymouth Valiant push button automatic in late August/early September. We camped around the corner from Little Current and I remember we made it to Killarney and Baie Finn.
    At the time it was ok to dip a cup over the side for a drink of water and possible to be 20 miles from another human.
    My father snuck in a .22 cal pistol in a duffel bag for bear control but never saw a bear.
    So, I'm thinking about trailering a small sailboat like yours up there. The logistics will be a little different as I live in Southern California but have lots of time these days.
    Thanks for all the photos.
    Chuck

Chuck,

that'd be a long drive, but if you have the time, well worth it. It's still possible to drink directly from the lake, though I usually use a backpacking filter. Friends of mine who live off the grid pipe their water in directly from Lake Huron without treatment.

I don't know about being 20 miles from another human, but I've gone days at a time without seeing them. And then, it's usually anchored in a big-boat anchorage that I'm traveling through on my way to sail & oar territory.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com