Thread: oldest currently flyable aircraft in existence

Default Re: oldest currently flyable aircraft in existence

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Art!
    Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    The YouTube vid has the usual ignorant comments. These morons never cease to amaze!
    Wow, you were not kidding.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Not air craft, but the oldest, human, lighter-than-air experience is that of an ordinary person stepping over a rattlesnake.

True story!
    Substitute Tiger snake and I agree with the experience. Jumping from log to log running down hill, despite being in the air already I missed the log with the snake and landed beyond it. I have never worked out how that happened.

Aircraft. My cousin inspects aircraft for airworthyness certificates, he ok'd a new built RE8 and early Hawker bi-plane last week.

I saw this clip on CNN about flying old fighters at Rhinebeck. Enjoy!

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/w...ome/index.html
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Not air craft, but the oldest, human, lighter-than-air experience is that of an ordinary person stepping over a rattlesnake.

True story!
    I just saw this.

A few years ago, whilst traipsing about on a spring day, barefoot as usual, I happened to step on what I immediately discerned as a baby snake. The tiny coiled package and small individual coils were telling.

It wasnt until I landed 26 meters away and walked back that I determined it was INDEED a baby rattlesnake. If Id had shoes on, and not sensed the snakiness before applying pressure, Ive no doubt hed have nailed me.

Miles from cellular service and roads...

Peace,
    Levitator Second Class

There is or was a Wright Flyer flight simulator at the Kennedy Space Center when I visited there many years ago. Being a glider pilot with a fair amount of power time I thought I'd have no trouble and took a crack at it. I wasn't able to keep the thing aloft although I was beginning to make some progress when I was shoed from the machine. It was very finicky, delicate of touch and easy to spin.

I'd be interested in the outing if we're in the country when and if ya'll decide to go.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    He's in a turn.

Gutsy move, for a Bleriot.
    Just what I Was thinking Dave, turn like that killed Chas. Rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    He's in a turn.

Gutsy move, for a Bleriot.
    Just what I Was thinking Dave, turn like that killed Chas. Rolls.

I seem to have read that Rolls was killed by attempting to pull out of a dive too quickly.
    His Wright had a non-standard rear elevator, in addition to the usual front one. The rear one suffered structural failure, forcing the aircraft into an even steeper dive.
    The organisers were partly to blame with their siting of the 'spot' for the spot-landing contest. Approaching directly into wind, as Rolls did, meant flying over the grandstand and losing altitude rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    There is or was a Wright Flyer flight simulator at the Kennedy Space Center when I visited there many years ago. Being a glider pilot with a fair amount of power time I thought I'd have no trouble and took a crack at it. I wasn't able to keep the thing aloft although I was beginning to make some progress when I was shoed from the machine. It was very finicky, delicate of touch and easy to spin.

I'd be interested in the outing if we're in the country when and if ya'll decide to go.
    I "flew" the Wright Flyer simulator in 2003 at the EAA Convention in Oshkosh and later at Kitty Hawk for the celebration of the first flight in December. Managed to take off and actually land in Oshkosh but never able to do it again. This thing is just plain unstable and Wilbur and Orville deserve all the credit for making the first successful powered flight.

Too bad for their future that their business skills were so far below their technical efforts that others quickly and easily surpassed their planes technology and performance. Although still hampered by the inferior wingwarping controls, the Bleriot is probably much easier to fly. While it managed to get the flyer airborne, Wright's engine was about the crudest thing imaginable. The Wright's suspicions that the rest of the world was out to steal their invention proved to be their greatest problem.
    Tom L

The Fokker Eindecker managed quite well in WW1 with wing warping, and was a huge threat to the allies until they too had aircraft with forward facing synchronised machine guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post

Dammit I knew I should have spent another day at Kennedy. (SWMBO wanted to get to Epcot) I didn't see this. I'd have loved to try it out!
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

An aquaintance of mine had a Bleriot at Oshkosh. (Eric Preston.) I asked him what it was like -- the wing-warping thing. He said, "You get up in the dark, way before dawn. You drive out to the airfield. You walk out onto the grass. You pluck a blade, hold it up high, release it, and if it falls back exactly to the same tuft, you can fly the Bleriot."

The Eindekker was obviously more capable -- but it came along later. Things were evolving very quickly then.

Flew one of these until it was stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    I seem to have read that Rolls was killed by attempting to pull out of a dive too quickly.
    His Wright had a non-standard rear elevator, in addition to the usual front one. The rear one suffered structural failure, forcing the aircraft into an even steeper dive.
    The organisers were partly to blame with their siting of the 'spot' for the spot-landing contest. Approaching directly into wind, as Rolls did, meant flying over the grandstand and losing altitude rapidly.
    I did some restoration work on early books on pre-WW1 flight in Britain and Europe. Structural failure in flight of the rear spars in an aircraft were a main cause of fatalities as were sideslipping into the ground as a result of not enough height. Above 60ft was considered dangerous by some authorities and I have seen a photo of monoplanes not unlike the Bleriot pylon racing at Wembley stadium below the level of the grandstand. The other reason was often the engine and/or fuel tank was just behind the pilot's head that decapitated you when the plane hit the ground.

In the beginning of course there were no rules. If you could build an aeroplane and fly it you were a pilot, till it crashed and killed you.

https://wikivisually.com/wiki/1910_L...ester_air_race
    Last edited by skuthorp; 11-12-2018 at 08:31 PM.