Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful new handgun grips

Default Beautiful new handgun grips

walther ppk.JPG

So they are manta ray made by Brian Schneider, brian@designergrips.com. I carried this PPk for years while on active deployments in and underarm holster. Now I carry it as a concealed carry. I wanted to dress it up a bit so Brian agreed to make the manta ray- it was the first time for him to tackle a PPK- and he did it beautifully. The spine is on both grips and it will wear like the legendary grips of a samuri sword.

Default Re: Beautiful new handgun grips

A fondness for antique firearms, eh? Cool!!

I'm curious about your CC. Why do you feel the necessity. Honest question - not trying to be argumentative. Just curious about motivation. Do you carry large sums regularly? Live in a very dodgy neighborhood? Or???

I like those grips... assuming they are, indeed, grippy. Did he dye to get black, or bleach to get white?
    Last edited by David G; 03-29-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Very good for little hands too!

Very nice, Dale. I had a wallet made from Manta Ray leather for many years. Wore like iron. Didn't float though, and that wallet fell overboard and sank in 100 fathoms.( ooopsie!)

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Very nice, Dale. I had a wallet made from Manta Ray leather for many years. Wore like iron. Didn't float though, and that wallet fell overboard and sank in 100 fathoms.( ooopsie!)

Kevin
    Never fondled any. Is it particularly grippy? It's quite interesting looking.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Never fondled any. Is it particularly grippy? It's quite interesting looking.
    Hi David,

My wallet boasted a pebbled texture, so yes I would call it grippy, but not so that it would stick to my hand. Its hard not porous. It also had a slightly raised white spine or ridge on it, like Dale's grip shows, though perhaps less symmetrical. It was very tough and non-pliable. Not that I tried, but handling it, I would say poking a hole in it would take a pointy object and some real force.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I had a wallet made from Manta Ray leather for many years.
    That reminds me of an old joke about making a wallet from foreskins.

I wonder how that would work for gun owners? It could fill a real need.

Hi David,

My wallet boasted a pebbled texture, so yes I would call it grippy, but not so that it would stick to my hand. Its hard not porous. It also had a slightly raised white spine or ridge on it, like Dale's grip shows, though perhaps less symmetrical. It was very tough and non-pliable. Not that I tried, but handling it, I would say poking a hole in it would take a pointy object and some real force.

Kevin
    Sounds like good stuff. And the coloration is natural. Interesting.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

It's now a Manta ray gun. Captain Kirk is envious.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    That reminds me of an old joke about making a wallet from foreskins.

I wonder how that would work for gun owners? It could fill a real need.
    Historically probably wasn't a joke. The Germans probably made wallets from them during WW2.

They would not get them from most of their victims.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Just from any of the 6 million est.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    You might want to rethink that, Jamie. It seems quite unlikely that more than a very few of that six million would have been so equipped.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    You might want to rethink that, Jamie. It seems quite unlikely that more than a very few of that six million would have been so equipped.
    Fine only men. However the Germans were ingenious in a very sick mind with what they made out of skin of those who ended up in concentration camps. Lamp shades were the tip of the iceberg.

Fine only men. However the Germans were ingenious in a very sick mind with what they made out of skin of those who ended up in concentration camps. Lamp shades were the tip of the iceberg.
    Only men under a few weeks in age methinks... No argument on the rest.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    'Zackly. There probably weren't a lot of babies born in the camps.

What are you doing about it?

Back from Fred Drift- any reply to the questions posed in post #2?
    No agenda- just curious.
    Last edited by birlinn; 03-29-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Historically probably wasn't a joke. The Germans probably made wallets from them during WW2.
    Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    'Zackly. There probably weren't a lot of babies born in the camps.
    Guys, it was just a joke about gun advocates compensating for other short falls.

How did we get from gun grips to concentration camps??
    Anyway to answer your questions- it is very grippy- thats why they are used for Samuri sword handles, probably handles blood well too. Have no idea if the hide is dyed- probably not as the wallet I wore for many years never showed signs of wear. As far as my CC, I carry a firearm because I can't carry a cop- and at age 75, I'm not a very good fighter either.

I've always been partial to death symbols on gun grips

etc...
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale R. Hamilton View Post
    Anyway to answer your questions- it is very grippy- thats why they are used for Samuri sword handles, probably handles blood well too. Have no idea if the hide is dyed- probably not as the wallet I wore for many years never showed signs of wear. As far as my CC, I carry a firearm because I can't carry a cop- and at age 75, I'm not a very good fighter either.
    I was kinda hoping for an actual answer, not a sound-bite.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Someone mentioned forskins and grip along with being an old joke. I said, probably not a joke and that they were used by the German during WW2 in the holocaust.

I like those grips and I love your Walther, that is sweet handling iron.

Sword hilts often featured shark skin,

at one stage I owned a Martini Henry sword bayonet with a saw back that had sharkskin grips.
    The top one here, the sharkskin obviously added later.

As long as the post has drifted.....again. I’m reluctantly with the OP. born and raised in Philly, presently in a nice town in south Jersey. I paddle to philly and back. My wife longs for the city. I tell her I’m 70, if we move back to philly I’m carrying a little revolver to walk the dog. No gang of youths or thugs are going to put me in a chair peeing in a bottle. Plastic grips would be ok.

Dale,
    What holster do you use with that PPK?

Jack
    Jack
    Nicotine free since 1 October 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    As long as the post has drifted.....again. I’m reluctantly with the OP. born and raised in Philly, presently in a nice town in south Jersey. I paddle to philly and back. My wife longs for the city. I tell her I’m 70, if we move back to philly I’m carrying a little revolver to walk the dog. No gang of youths or thugs are going to put me in a chair peeing in a bottle. Plastic grips would be ok.
    So, when I was in Philly last year, I walked (on my own two legs) from my hotel right beside some big stadium out towards the airport, into town to see the liberty bell, the USS Becuna and some other stuff. The hotel was very average, downtown was very pleasant, the bit between was interesting - but I never felt unsafe. Ignorance, lucky, or not a bad part of town? I dunno, but wishing I had a gun, no.
    I walked back too. 6th was definitely a bit seedier than 11th, I probably wouldn't do that one at night ;-)

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Nice work Dale. Was it very spendy?
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Is it just me or does the fit not look quite right in the upper right corner of the grip? Has a gap at back corner and upper end looks folded over or something.
    Tom

Nice grip, pretty bang bang.

But I have to ask you at 75 are you any good with the flight or shoot instinct or is it just for mental comfort ? I ask this because the whole concept that you need a gun for protection is silly because when the sh!t realy hits the fan unless you have daily combat shooter drills you won't even get your hands around that pretty grip. The HUGE statistical probable outcome will be someone else will own your pretty gun and possibly use it to destroy another life.

Let's all just be honest at 75 your reflexes are probably piss poor in comparison to some 19 year old hoodrat that wants your wallet. While your fumbling to go for that sexy piece of mind his hand is on your throat and the other hand is wrapped comfortably around that sexy James Bond PPK before you either say hello to the white light or survive. That gun ain't gonna help ya no matter what your Charles Bronson fantasy tells you.

The silly argument that you CC because you can't carry a cop on your back might sound cute but is probably more practical than thinking you are safer with a gun. Do yourself a favor look up the stats of an old white guy with a gun.

Here's the smart move. Get a dog, walk the dog. You both will be better for it and the dog will have better situational awareness than a 75 year old white male with a gun.

End of rant from a 53 year old white guy with two dogs and NO GUN.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

That Walther:"Bond...James Bond."

I imagine it remains a fine CC weapon.

P.S. Jaimie, you might want to look up Brit milah.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I've always been partial to death symbols on gun grips

etc...
    how's this work for you, i find anubis on the slide fore end to to be a nice touch

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I thought you carried a Seecamp. No?

What's your prefered self defense round in the Walther? Besides the grips has it had any other tuning?

walther ppk.JPG

So they are manta ray made by Brian Schneider, brian@designergrips.com. I carried this PPk for years while on active deployments in and underarm holster. Now I carry it as a concealed carry. I wanted to dress it up a bit so Brian agreed to make the manta ray- it was the first time for him to tackle a PPK- and he did it beautifully. The spine is on both grips and it will wear like the legendary grips of a samuri sword.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Well Joe,
    Seeing as how Dale has 23 years of special forces experience I think that he has a handle on the operation of his firearm and the experience to use it wisely. I'd wager his situational awareness is several levels above your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Nice grip, pretty bang bang.

But I have to ask you at 75 are you any good with the flight or shoot instinct or is it just for mental comfort ? I ask this because the whole concept that you need a gun for protection is silly because when the sh!t realy hits the fan unless you have daily combat shooter drills you won't even get your hands around that pretty grip. The HUGE statistical probable outcome will be someone else will own your pretty gun and possibly use it to destroy another life.

Let's all just be honest at 75 your reflexes are probably piss poor in comparison to some 19 year old hoodrat that wants your wallet. While your fumbling to go for that sexy piece of mind his hand is on your throat and the other hand is wrapped comfortably around that sexy James Bond PPK before you either say hello to the white light or survive. That gun ain't gonna help ya no matter what your Charles Bronson fantasy tells you.

The silly argument that you CC because you can't carry a cop on your back might sound cute but is probably more practical than thinking you are safer with a gun. Do yourself a favor look up the stats of an old white guy with a gun.

Here's the smart move. Get a dog, walk the dog. You both will be better for it and the dog will have better situational awareness than a 75 year old white male with a gun.

End of rant from a 53 year old white guy with two dogs and NO GUN.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceboy View Post
    Well Joe,
    Seeing as how Dale has 23 years of special forces experience I think that he has a handle on the operation of his firearm and the experience to use it wisely. I'd wager his situational awareness is several levels above your own.
    Doubt it.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment