Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ed's Dave Gentry Annabelle SOF build

Default Ed's Dave Gentry Annabelle SOF build

I've started a Dave Gentry Annabelle SOF build and will be recording the build, posting questions, begging aid, soliciting encouragement, etc.

Frames are cut, keel is cut, gunwales, inwales and (almost) all of the chines are cut. (Pictures to follow. Yeah, I know, no pictures, it didn't happen)

First question, should the gunwales be bent symmetrically or does one end (fore or aft) get more bend than the others?

Ed

Default Re: Ed's Dave Gentry Annabelle SOF build

I'll be watching how it goes together. Dave often posts on the forum and is the man to ask when it comes to building one of his designs.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I built a Chuckanut 12 last month and just started a Chuckanut 15 last week. I took the full size plans and drew up files so I could cut the bulkheads and stems on my cnc machine. Watch that you don't hog the hull when attaching the chines and gunwales to the stem and transom. I'd say to dry-fit these parts, then take a look at how the keel has responded to the torque they exert.

Hi Ed
    It seems you may have an older set of instructions. I emailed you the newest version - pre-bending gunwales is out, laminating is in.

Jim, you are laminating the gunwales as per your building guide - correct? Hogging should not occur . . . perhaps you have an older set of plans, as well?

I'm looking forward to the thread, and to seeing everyone's boats - yours too, Rob.

Dave

Dave, I have the plans calling for the laminated gunwales. During my dry fit, I had the keel continuously clamped to the centerline, and when I let off on the clamps, the stems dipped down. I just had to adjust the chines a bit lower to pick up the stems, just like you said in the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by jim shula View Post
    Dave, I have the plans calling for the laminated gunwales. During my dry fit, I had the keel continuously clamped to the centerline, and when I let off on the clamps, the stems dipped down. I just had to adjust the chines a bit lower to pick up the stems, just like you said in the plans.
    Ah, I see.

Dave , my kidyak gunwales are solid wood , should that concern me ? Regards Rob J.
    Not a problem at all - that's how they are supposed to be in the Kidyak.

Cheers -
    Dave

New and improved directions received, thanks Dave.

Preparing to pre bend keel.
    Question,
    Directions on page 4 say "weight it to one side", would that be fore or aft end of the keel? I appears the weight should be closer to the bow but wanted to double check

Ed

Last edited by gt7599a; 03-30-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Put your weights on the Top side of the keel in case they discolor the board or better yet, put them in plastic. (they were in plastic so that wouldn't happen)
    And watch out for leaks.
    Last edited by gt7599a; 06-23-2018 at 11:59 AM. Reason: correct typo & edit for clarity

Those blue tarps often leak. Use pvc sheeting (visqueen) on top of the tarp. The tarp will protect the pvc from snagging on the form that holds it.

Back up a little.
    This was giving the the frames a light sanding. I'd cut them out a while back.

Sanding trick, A trick my dad taught me, he marks the wood with a pencil, then sands till he can't see the mark. He has a lead dive weight in a fleece bag and rests that on the sander so it doesn't require down pressure from his hand.

Suggestion for Section 5.
    Include frame spacing based on spacing on the Strong Back
    Frame 1, 0" 0cm
    Frame 2, 27"
    Frame 3, 42"
    Frame 4, 68"
    Transom 94"
    Last edited by gt7599a; 06-23-2018 at 04:17 PM. Reason: correcting error & clarity

Step 6
    Mounting brackets open down.
    If your strongback is longer that 5'8" (mine is 8') a right angle piece is needed for the mounting bracket for frame 4.

Default Section 7.b Keelson

Section 7.b Keelson (pg 6 on 2017 directions)
    • @DGentry Does the Keelson extend all the way forward to go under the Stem? It says "Starting at the stem" and I'm not sure if that means the stem and keelson should abut or if the keelson should extend to the forward tip of the keel and the stem mounts onto the combines keelson & keel. The picture in the manual is from a Chuckanut so presumably no keelson.
    Last edited by gt7599a; 06-23-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: add DGenty

Frame 1 & 4 on strongback

Dave wrote back, keelson doesn't go under bow stem.

Here is the keelson being epoxyed to the keel.

And checking the stem distance to the first frame.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by gt7599a View Post
    Dave wrote back, keelson doesn't go under bow stem.

Here is the keelson being epoxyed to the keel.

And checking the stem distance to the first frame.

Ed
    Hi there! I built a Dave Gentry’s Annabelle last Summer. She is a beautiful sailing boat. I can post some pictures of my building process if you are interested in. 4D01924A-79EA-4A40-A53F-4588F54E7837.jpg5C702B37-69D8-4651-B494-185518247069.jpg

Tried putting gunwale and chines on frames 1 and 4.

Then tried placing frames 2 and 3.

Snapped a gunwale.

Soaked wood.* (Two words to say, a whole lot more trouble to actually accomplish, and I recognize my work space is palatial compared to other builds I've seen)

Placed frame 2 & 3 using L brackets trying to ensure they're really vertical and parallel to the other frames not just orthogonal to the keel. *

Not sure whether it was before or after this but used clamps to*force frame 2 & 3 back to the keel.

Using a lot of clamps placed upper chines (1st half of each), lower chines, and finally 1st of 3 gunwale sections.

Strapped everything.

Beveled ends of gunwale and chines next to the stem.

Screwed gunwale & chines into place on the stem.

Realized stem wasn't straight.

Jury rigged frame to brace stem vertical.

Screwed gunwale & chines into stem.

Realized bow had dropped.* (I'd removed the wedge I was using between the strong back and the keel when strapping frame 1.)

Using a long clamp, I reversed one end so I could use it to deflect the bow up.* Put wedge between keel and strong back below frame 1 to push keel up to proper position.

Checked if frame was level.* Frame 1 canted.* Used long clamp with 1 end reversed to deflect frame 1 until whole is straight and plum.

Screwed gunwale & chines into stem.

(Sigh)

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by tarifa View Post
    Hi there! I built a Dave Gentry’s Annabelle last Summer. She is a beautiful sailing boat. I can post some pictures of my building process if you are interested in. 4D01924A-79EA-4A40-A53F-4588F54E7837.jpg5C702B37-69D8-4651-B494-185518247069.jpg
    Please do.
    It's good to see a sister ship finished and underway.

Ed

All troubles are common. It takes time and patience.

Tariff, images aren't loading for me.**

All lower chines are screwed in place
    Upper chines, the inside half are screwed in place, the outer half are clamped in place to take shape as they dry. The ends by the stems are cut to fit

Lowest Gunwales are screwed in place, the middle and upper thirds are placed to dry out and take shape.* The middle and upper gunwale parts still need to be trimmed to fit the stem

Need to order silica and wood flour, didn't get those with the epoxy (face palm).

My plan is too unscrew the parts, apply slow cure epoxy, then screw them back in place.

The slot in my keel was too wide so I made shims from western red cedar, I'll add these when I epoxy the stem to the keel to strengthen the junction.* Right now it's just screws.

Ed

Having soaked the chines and gunwales I also soaked the inwales. I tried to prebend them, one cracked.

Sorry, I am not good at computing. I hope this time the pictures can be seen. These are some pictures of my building the boat. I have much more. Will post later. And I want to say that at some points I was very frustrated because it seemed that nothing was going properly and accordingly. I had to have a brake and then start building further. Good luck.

I loged out and checked my pictures posted. I could not see them. And what about you? May be it takes time to upload pictures?

When I log in I can see the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by gt7599a View Post
    Tariff, images aren't loading for me.**

All lower chines are screwed in place
    Upper chines, the inside half are screwed in place, the outer half are clamped in place to take shape as they dry. The ends by the stems are cut to fit

Lowest Gunwales are screwed in place, the middle and upper thirds are placed to dry out and take shape.* The middle and upper gunwale parts still need to be trimmed to fit the stem

Need to order silica and wood flour, didn't get those with the epoxy (face palm).

My plan is too unscrew the parts, apply slow cure epoxy, then screw them back in place.

The slot in my keel was too wide so I made shims from western red cedar, I'll add these when I epoxy the stem to the keel to strengthen the junction.* Right now it's just screws.

Ed
    Try to see my pictures after logging in.