Thread: Ford remote door opener didn't need battery

Default Ford remote door opener didn't need battery

Not sure it even has a battery.

For most Ford's, if the remote door opener stops working, simply put the key in the ignition. Quickly turn it key to run/stop/run stop/ for 8 times.

The either time you hit the run position the it locks onto the remote unit. Push the buttons on the remote to lock or unlock doors and it is reprogrammed.

Takes just a minute.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Default Re: Ford remote door opener didn't need battery

wow, easier than the way to do my old BMW. You all but needed to face the car towards Munich and sacrifice a goat to program the fob
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

The key can fail to work for two reasons. One, the battery is dead. Two, it needs to be reprogrammed. Neither affects the other.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

My subie doesn't have a place to put the key for ignition. To make it go when the fob battery dies you clip the key out of the fob for the door.
    While the alarm screams at you , you sit in and wave the fob in a kind of infinity sign beside the place a keyhole would be if there was one. If yer lucky the car will then light up and you can start and drive to a place that has penny batteries. That probably won't work because they're unlike all the common ones so then you drive to a subaru dealer.
    If you can get past the supercilious twerp at the desk , they might sell you one.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    wow, easier than the way to do my old BMW. You all but needed to face the car towards Munich and sacrifice a goat to program the fob

fob? I'm guessing that's a typo.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Fob being the remote activator I suspect, if mine was executed in silver rather than fluero plastic it would go very nicely on a fob chain.

'I'd like 's', for $200, Alex'...

I can see my attempt at humor hit the antipodean....
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Ah yes, the Subie incantation...
    Xanthorrea

So many think that they need a space shuttle these days that there's a thriving market for that ****. Gives new meaning to "You get what you pay more".

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    So many think that they need a space shuttle these days that there's a thriving market for that ****. Gives new meaning to "You get what you pay more".
    Buy pretty much any vehicle built in the last five years, and you can virtually guarantee that it has keyless entry. You get the space shuttle whether you want it or not! They all have some variation on the magic incantation that allows the car to start, if the battery in the keyfob goes flat. And no, "fob" is not a typo. Just a bit of the Queens English still in common usage outside of the US.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Never had such a thing. Seems a bit wasteful.

But when I was 16 and just starting to legally drive, one development had - all those competative suburbanites newly moved out on The Island - sported almost all the houses with two car garages and automatic openers.

And they all were on the same frequency.

We used to drive along slowly just opening people's garages.

Just got an extra key for my 2007 BMW 328xi. $328 for the fob sent from somewhere on the east coast. $150 for the dealership to program it.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Subarus...love 'em but my twenty year old forester came with one key and missing that huge plastic underbelly thingy under the motor.
    Down to Mr main agente as none of the key cutter guys could get a blank, even those who claimed 'all keys, electronic fobs' etc.
    Ordered one key one underbelly...over 220 €.
    Jeezh! said I how much is that bit of plastic ? 'oh thats 30 €, the key is 160 plus tax, and 15 minutes labour cost to programme it another 30 or so €uros.

Good job the Subaru never needs fixing. The last one I had for twelve years and only ever did normal stuff, brakes, tyres a track rod end or two in 200000km.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Quote Originally Posted by Iceboy View Post
    Just got an extra key for my 2007 BMW 328xi. $328 for the fob sent from somewhere on the east coast. $150 for the dealership to program it.
    I got a key at the dealer for my 09 X3 last summer. $175 & they programmed it for free. I guess the models vary widely.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Just FYI aftermarket keyfobs are available online and can be programmed by the purchaser. I bought some last year for my truck. Worked great. under $20 for a pair. They are blue instead of the official black, and have no logo.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Subarus...love 'em but my twenty year old forester came with one key and missing that huge plastic underbelly thingy under the motor.
    Down to Mr main agente as none of the key cutter guys could get a blank, even those who claimed 'all keys, electronic fobs' etc.
    Ordered one key one underbelly...over 220 €.
    Jeezh! said I how much is that bit of plastic ? 'oh thats 30 €, the key is 160 plus tax, and 15 minutes labour cost to programme it another 30 or so €uros.

Good job the Subaru never needs fixing. The last one I had for twelve years and only ever did normal stuff, brakes, tyres a track rod end or two in 200000km.
    Had a 1990 Legacy wagon second-hand... outside of every damn window motor failing and a leaky sunroof (in a wagon? never did figure that one...) the biggest PITA was the spedo/odo stopped working. Checked the cable, checked the connexion under the dash.... no go, so off to the Subies about fifteen miles away, only to find that it's a wee plastic (it is NART 'nylon', I stomped it and it shattered plasticly, no matter what those Swedes say!) which was conveniently located atop the (automatic) transmission under an easily opened hatch.

Part was $8.75 USD, but dropping the transmission in order to get to the bloody hatch/part, and then attaching the new cable and fairleading it back up to the dashboard was only an additional $650 or so and a few days wait for my turn in the queue.

Too damn right I stomped on the old part!

remember, they aren’t submersible.

My Ford doesn't have an ignition key.

At 150,000 miles, it developed two HAL - like tendencies. Fifth gear became an optional extra and so did the reversing camera. Both at the car's option. A trip to the dealers sorted that - an exchange gearbox and attention to the junction box in the tailgate. We are friends again, now.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    The key can fail to work for two reasons. One, the battery is dead. Two, it needs to be reprogrammed. Neither affects the other.

Kevin
    This one is 15 years old. Must be one hell of a high quality battery.

I'm sure they do differ. t may be because mine has the comfort key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I got a key at the dealer for my 09 X3 last summer. $175 & they programmed it for free. I guess the models vary widely.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

That may be true for some makes of vehicles. The BMW can only have six keys total programmed into it or an electronic module must be changed. Only 2 of the keys may be comfort access keys. Believe me I had searched every BMW forum extensively and have found folks with aftermarket keys galore. None of them seem to have worked though. They must be coded from BMW to work in their vehicles.
    Just FYI aftermarket keyfobs are available online and can be programmed by the purchaser. I bought some last year for my truck. Worked great. under $20 for a pair. They are blue instead of the official black, and have no logo.

Kevin

I'm sure they do differ. t may be because mine has the comfort key.
    What's a "comfort" key?

Mine has all the buttons built into the key itself - not a separate fob like my pickup. Like this:

This one is 15 years old. Must be one hell of a high quality battery.
    Maybe.

Or, the key fob was not used much. ( they left the car unlocked a lot)

Or, the key you have was used as the spare and so hardly used at all.

That may be true for some makes of vehicles. The BMW can only have six keys total programmed into it or an electronic module must be changed. Only 2 of the keys may be comfort access keys. Believe me I had searched every BMW forum extensively and have found folks with aftermarket keys galore. None of them seem to have worked though. They must be coded from BMW to work in their vehicles.
    That stinks.

Kevin
    Last edited by Breakaway; 03-28-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Maybe.

Or, the key fob was not used much. ( they left the car unlocked a lot)

Or, the key you have was used as the spare and so hardly used at all.

That stinks.

Kevin
    This is my primary key. Used virtually daily, several times a day.

Comfort access key. just a square fob with the actual metal key embedded in it. They key will open a door or the trunk. It allows for the car to set seat, mirrors, radio and temperature to the key holder. Touch the door handle and the door unlocks. Keep the key in your pocket and start the car with a button. Open all the windows and the sunroof with a long press of the remote. https://www.bmwoffreeport.com/blogs/...s-system-work/

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    What's a "comfort" key?

Mine has all the buttons built into the key itself - not a separate fob like my pickup. Like this:

Comfort access key. just a square fob with the actual metal key embedded in it. They key will open a door or the trunk. It allows for the car to set seat, mirrors, radio and temperature to the key holder. Touch the door handle and the door unlocks. Keep the key in your pocket and start the car with a button. Open all the windows and the sunroof with a long press of the remote. https://www.bmwoffreeport.com/blogs/...s-system-work/
    OK - hadn't heard that term. Mine does not have a start button - it requires the key.