Thread: someone save this special boat

Default A special boat needs a new caretaker

Damn. If i hadn't sworn a promise to my wife I would be in line for this amazing boat.

Polaris. A pumpkin seed gaffer from 1914. It is the boat that turns heads.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa...537977296.html

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 03-27-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Default Re: A special boat needs a new caretaker

Well, my ex-wife calls Grantala the million dollar boat. Beware the hidden costs....
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Well, my ex-wife calls Grantala the million dollar boat. Beware the hidden costs....
    My wife soon would be an ex if I pulled the trigger on that one too. The hidden cost for me would mean I would soon be a live-a-board with lots of advocate fees and paperwork.... In reality she is still pretty solid. I hope she finds the right couple as most of her life she has brought love to those who have sailed her.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 03-27-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Default Re: someone save this special boat

She is a pretty one!!!!

It's impressive how she's beating that Melges

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

It looks incredibly goofy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    It looks incredibly goofy to me.
    It has a certain goofy charm...she might fix up nice but it wont be cheap or easy.

The pictures don't show much, except the weathered plywood companion way board. That tells an ugly story. I suppose this is another boat that needs a total rebuild. What is the historical use of this design?

i kinda like her, i suspect that her current counter/stern configuration isn't original
    thankfully she's a long ways away from me. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

It does look like some chpped about 10' off her stern.

She is extremely fast and is quite appealing in person. If properly restored and painted - she would be a show stopper.

KC gave me permission to look at here. To get her, I would have sell my other boat fast. So much to think about.

What's there to think about? Take 3000 in cash and a flashlight and go see her. If she passes muster put the cash on the cabin table and say "final offer, right now".

I would be more concerned about a marina place, and yard space for repairs.

If you see her do tell us more about her, she's an interesting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    What's there to think about? Take 3000 in cash and a flashlight and go see her. If she passes muster put the cash on the cabin table and say "final offer, right now".

I would be more concerned about a marina place, and yard space for repairs.

If you see her do tell us more about her, she's an interesting one.
    It isn't the money for me but the scope of work. i am lining up those things. i have known this boat for nearly 20 years. It will take 3 months to get a space to haul at my preferred yard plus at least a month on the hard. Timing is everything as I need to manage the work with my own business, avoiding the heat of summer and other personal plans. I would want to bring her to the east bay, close to my nearly perfect yacht club to restore her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    It isn't the money for me but the scope of work. i am lining up those things. i have known this boat for nearly 20 years. It will take 3 months to get a space to haul at my preferred yard plus at least a month on the hard. Timing is everything as I need to manage the work with my own business, avoiding the heat of summer and other personal plans. I would want to bring her to the east bay, close to my nearly perfect yacht club to restore her.
    I'm sure Matt Butler at the San Rafael Yacht Club could haul her and give you a place to work on her in the yard there. You'd have to drive over the bridge to get there, but you'd probably be paying a lot less for the haul and yard lay-up. She's certainly worth taking a good look at her. Bob Porteous had her for years and years and took pretty good care of her. She's an "easy keeper" because she is heavily and simply built and is painted topside, so it's not like you will be maintaining a "Steinway." AFAIK she's the last of her kind. Forty years ago, we had the "pumpkinseeds" Billikin and Islander but I'm afraid they are all gone. They are wicked fast and very stable. They were designed to take the high winds and heavy chop on the Bay and they sure do. I'd have Kent Parker, the best wooden boat surveyor around, take a look at her. I believe he may be quite familiar with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    I'm sure Matt Butler at the San Rafael Yacht Club could haul her and give you a place to work on her in the yard there. You'd have to drive over the bridge to get there, but you'd probably be paying a lot less for the haul and yard lay-up. She's certainly worth taking a good look at her. Bob Porteous had her for years and years and took pretty good care of her. She's an "easy keeper" because she is heavily and simply built and is painted topside, so it's not like you will be maintaining a "Steinway." AFAIK she's the last of her kind. Forty years ago, we had the "pumpkinseeds" Billikin and Islander but I'm afraid they are all gone. They are wicked fast and very stable. They were designed to take the high winds and heavy chop on the Bay and they sure do. I'd have Kent Parker, the best wooden boat surveyor around, take a look at her. I believe he may be quite familiar with her.
    That is great advice. I am sure there are others angling for her too and may be boxed out. The boat was pulled away from me once before as they sought some one in Marin instead. Bob was a good man and the few times I spoke to him were quite pleasant. The workman like boat fits my style to a T. I love her toughness and speed. I imagine I would return her back to when that lovely couple sailed here well and spent long weekends one her decade after decade.

I have fear that a dreamer might get her or more importantly someone looking for a flop. It is hard when you know what something is and should be.

Well, it seems you have to have her, so go for her before she disapears again. How often do you get a second shot after all?

Good luck Ted. I was eyeing it on Craigs.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

...?

looks like the C-list ad has expired...

She looks like a Lester Stone design. He never made anything that was slow!
    Jay

bronze fastened? I remember speaking to her owner in Master Mariners 2004 race.. he has just put a new Yanmar in her.

Ted, you already have a boat. Just thought I should mention that.

I doubt that she is bronze fastened. Galvanized boat nails where the order of the day back then. But, no bleeders show in the fotos so she may have been re-fastened. "Wanderlure II" was built in 1921 and she was just refastened eight years ago. Her galvies were clinched wrought iron nails.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Ted, you already have a boat. Just thought I should mention that.
    Yeah, there that. You alway know which rib to poke.

truthfully, if I held off and didn't get it... I could sail with you Phil next March anywhere in your lovely country.

It would be great to see you Ted.

Polaris has been listed again on Craigs:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa...613699293.html

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
    Polaris has been listed again on Craigs:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa...613699293.html
    Lot of work, loooot of work!
    whatever rocks your boat

He should give it to a museum.