Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw horse test

Default Re: Saw horse test

In this part of the world they were called sawstools. This video shows ones fairly similar to what I am used to. The fore and aft splayed legs add a lot of stability.
    They were generally made in pairs.

There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Hmmm. Today's post over on Chris Schwartz's Lost Art Press blog is on this very topic. Sawhorses built with nought but a framing square (well, bevel gauge... but you could do it with a framing square), a saw and a chisel. And some screws.

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2018/0...-thanksgiving/

THESE HORSES ARE GREAT!!!

meet the original brief(pass between 2 studs) AND STACK

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Usually I only have sawhorses that fold flat but I could see having some of these.

I've been toting these around for too long. Nice and simple, stack nicely. The top plank is Red Oak and the legs are Honduras Mahogany, from back when it was cheap. You can stack two feet of plywood on them, but I don't do that anymore. They were originaly screwed together, but last year they were getting loose, so I unscrewed them and glued them up with PL Premium, screwed them back together. Good for another round.

" Nice and simple, stack nicely."

This is the design I use also. As a framer the legs would be ripped from offcuts of 3/4" plyfloor sheathing and the plank would be 2x6 edged as shown, pl300 and 2-1/4" gun-nailed, 6" ply gussets outboard of the legs. Wide enough to stand on and work, and stable. Make one plank length 6" shorter and they will stack as well as the one's above. About an hour to make a pair, with a skilsaw. / Jim

Failed on photo.

[IMG]IMGP0527[/IMG]
    Last edited by Chippie; 03-30-2018 at 05:11 AM.

I built a set of Shopdog saw horses, they are incredibly stable and can handle a lot of weight. They can be pretty versatile as well as shown on his website. They fold up to a small package and are cheap to make.
    http://www.woodshopdude.com/index.html

I always thought that these horses that I saved from the internet years ago are pretty cute.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I make the horses for our company the way my dad did. The top chord is a 2x6 ripped at 15 degrees. Leave the lumberyard radius at the bottom to help with slivers. The legs are 5/4x6 clear pine beveled at 15 degrees top and bottom, 35” long so you get 4 from a 12’. 1x4 cleats hold up a shelf. The spacing of the shelf is such that a circular saw can be set there between cuts. All parts are screwed together. Anyone who cuts into the saw horse is roundly ridiculed.

Those shopdog legs could be made from 1x4s instead of 2x4s. Keep the 2x for the top piece.

equine dreams.....anybody

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    Chippie, is this what you are referring to?

please note NO METALIC FASTENERS on the top/working surface

knot to mention STOUT AS ALL GETOUT!

sw

Yes, the "slot" at the top was as I said "tapered " to accommodate different door thicknesses.

Lots of the above examples are "support trestles" in my opinion they lack what swoody terms " please note NO METALIC FASTENERS on the top/working surface " usually 4" approx.
    Last edited by Chippie; 04-14-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Carpenter's trestles, made from off cuts, came across the idea in the book Farm Mechanics (1918).

FMI: Carpenter's Trestle

The new issue of Popular Woodworking is at the newsstand now. Waiting for it to hit my mailbox... for this article: https://blog.lostartpress.com/2018/0...kind-of-horse/

Excellent looking knockdown sawhorses, 2 A-frame trestles, a T-shaped crossbeam and 2 wedges to lock it all together.

I want to make a pair.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

^^^

To me that is a trestle support designed to support a vertically downward load. Wallpapering springs to mind.

A saw horse is designed to resist horizontal pressures ( push sawing and dressing a door edge when engaged in the notches mentioned above) and to bear vertically downward pressures such as standing on to fit architraves at the door frame top, or sit on to when the morning break arrives.

As someone has already mentioned, the legs are splayed for a reason.

Why is editing intermittent?
    Last edited by Chippie; 04-30-2018 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippie View Post
    ^^^

As someone has already mentioned, the legs are splayed for a reason.

Agreed, splaying is a small but often ignored detail that adds much to the strength, stability and longevity of a horse without adding any weight. And it looks better.

Here are plans for the horses we use mostly for timber framing. 2x4 and x6 lumber and plywood, assemble with screws, we've used glue but find it's not necessary.
    They're real quick and easy to make. The only fancy cut is the legs but with a compound angle chop saw and a length stop and they're quick too.
    sawhorse drawing pic.jpg
    Also a video of load testing one. Kind of boring and the horse didn't quite fit on the platen, but even so it held 51,000 lb.
    Or loaded with one single 8x8" timber centered the top plate crushes and peels up at the ends at about 16,000 lb.

Last edited by Grigg; 08-02-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Grigg,
    I have used that style sawhorse for years - work great..

5ABDC0AC-63AA-4C3B-88AE-04D9FF0F34A6.jpgHere is quick pair I made yesterday for shop use. They are for a low glue up table so will get a melamine top. 15 degree bevels, 24” tall, 5/4 pine. I put screws in the top chord where they don’t belong only because they aren’t going to be used as saw horses. I realize this is wrong. The ones I usually make are 33” tall and have a shelf that will fit a circular saw and resist splaying, but otherwise identical.

timber horse.jpg

Sorry about the sideways, Timber frame mortise and tenon horse.

timber horse.jpg Rotated and still wont load right
    Last edited by paulf; 08-02-2018 at 10:13 PM.
    PaulF

Nice adzes, too!

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    Tom, saw horses that fold/lay flat is an issue for many home DIYers look for(me 2)

so many folks are stuck on 2x4/2x6 construction because they think it is necessary to hold a load

some friends i cook with have proven the 2x construction method to knot be necessary in most instances/circumstances

they showed me that 4-legged horses made of 1x4's and hinged at the top will hold some really heavy loads(cast iron dutch ovens full of food) and fold flat to 1 1/2"(2 1/4" thicknesses/pair)
    . . .
    I think that's a very good example of the huge differences in what folks regard as 'heavy'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    I've been toting these around for too long. Nice and simple, stack nicely. The top plank is Red Oak and the legs are Honduras Mahogany, from back when it was cheap. You can stack two feet of plywood on them, but I don't do that anymore. They were originaly screwed together, but last year they were getting loose, so I unscrewed them and glued them up with PL Premium, screwed them back together. Good for another round.

Quote Originally Posted by Grigg View Post
    . . . the horse didn't quite fit on the platen, but even so it held 51,000 lb.
    . . .
    Rattling the teacups.

mahogany sawhorses
    seriously
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    mahogany sawhorses
    seriously
    Good choice, interlocking grain...

When I was a carpenter I would have been mocked mercilessly if it took me more than 20 minutes to knock out a pair of horses. They were an inverted t with the legs screwed on and a 2x4 brace under the t into each leg.

The only plastic ones I’ve found I liked are the Crawford Storehorse. Made in the USA, about $50 a pair and they have a tray on top you can screw a 2x in so you can cut without damaging the horse.

My pair at moment.

F7183A3E-AC9D-47D3-948B-8A518727A138.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images