Thread: I'm still tempted: Matt Leyden's Elusion

Default I'm still tempted: Matt Leyden's Elusion

9' x 38" of pure silly fun

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Default Re: I'm still tempted: Matt Leyden's Elusion

ridiculously awesome
    awesomely ridiculous
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Maybe after I get the SOF outriggers for the motor canoeish.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Good idea. Did he ever release plans for it? I also like his Sand Flea, especially because you could sit outside on one of the side air tanks, though you could could still close the hatch cover and sleep dry (though more cramped than even the Elusion) in wet weather. I objected a bit to his Paradox design because I could not stand the though of being sunk into the cabin all the time until I saw one sailor who had a seat that could be jacked up to let you sit with the upper half your body in the air above the cabin top (the water ballast allowed this to be safe-enough mode). -- Wade
    Last edited by wtarzia; 03-25-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Only if you name it "Hi Ho!"... >};o)

As a Paradox sailor I can only give comments of praise for Matt's designs. Don't deviate from the plan even if a feature doesn't make sense. It will become apparent that no detail is there by chance once you start cruising her.

I've only 'stepped aboard' a Paradox. It was immediately apparent that she didn't feel like a 'dinghy with a lid', but instead felt like stepping aboard a small ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    I've only 'stepped aboard' a Paradox. It was immediately apparent that she didn't feel like a 'dinghy with a lid', but instead felt like stepping aboard a small ship.
    I reckon that is due to the combination of lead ballast and ballast in the form of stores which adds up to maybe 40 or 50 % of total displacement. Not sure it would be quite the same feel in Elusion since she is so much smaller... I guess Matt could answer such a question.

Coffin boat? Looks extremely uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Coffin boat? Looks extremely uncomfortable.
    Probably a lot more comfortable than a kayak and people spend many hours in kayaks.

I am a big fan of Matts boats, and they have inspired many little fantasies. Elusion looks so small and simple that it is an easy route to getting on the water. I note that when he used it for the race in Florida he lead the way against some pretty aggressive competition, until they started to paddle up the river.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    I am a big fan of Matts boats, and they have inspired many little fantasies. Elusion looks so small and simple that it is an easy route to getting on the water. I note that when he used it for the race in Florida he lead the way against some pretty aggressive competition, until they started to paddle up the river.
    I find them fascinating and wished there was one nearby. I saw one in Beale Park some years ago and wish I had paid her more attention.

I am building another boat right now, but I have often thought if for some reason I could never have any boat in my life other than my paradox, that would be no hardship at all. She is a deeply satisfying boat, and I suspect any design of Matt's would be like that.

I wonder to what extent John Harris's 10 foot "expedition dinghy" (Chesapeake Light Craft) was inspired by something like the Elusion? --Wade

Quote Originally Posted by wtarzia View Post
    I wonder to what extent John Harris's 10 foot "expedition dinghy" (Chesapeake Light Craft) was inspired by something like the Elusion? --Wade
    Or Bolger

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Or Bolger
    --- Oh, yeah, true, now that I think of it! I must have been been thinking of some of his larger boats, 16+ footers, as descending from Old Shoe. -- wt

If you really want to explore very small boat cruising, then Matt's boats could be the way. BUT, for me, far too small and frankly, a bit tight. Claustraphobia would bite on the first sail.
    Bolger had some ideas, so that is the way I am going. I doubt that his ideas are any more complex than Matt's, likely far less so and I will have a lot more room for probably ,no more cost?
    A2

Jim, you should build one. And enjoy scratching the itch. For the modest cost of materials and some time in the garage, take sometime out to please yourself. Layden's a clever chap. Lots of interesting approaches to experience. People with Paradox's in the UK love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    Jim, you should build one. And enjoy scratching the itch. For the modest cost of materials and some time in the garage, take sometime out to please yourself. Layden's a clever chap. Lots of interesting approaches to experience. People with Paradox's in the UK love them.
    Perhaps one day. I have a few other itches that need scratching first.

I believe both Bolger and Matt adopted the idea of using the same curve for the bottom and sides, the theory being that when the boat heels on the chine, whatever flow is good for the bottom is good for the flow going past the side as well. Makes some sense, I guess. Both panels are curved in only one direction, a "flat" curve, not tortured. The curved joint would also lend strength to the hull structure. Like a lot of things about both designers' boats, it's a very simple, elegant approach that seems to bring good results (and somewhat boxy hulls).