Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When it goes wrong...

Default Re: When it goes wrong...

And a good example of how it's done in a small boat. I'd say he had an ebb tide there.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

When I lived in the Hokianga on NZ's west coast, the old timers reckoned that a slight tide against you was best for that bar because you maintained steerage.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    When I lived in the Hokianga on NZ's west coast, the old timers reckoned that a slight tide against you was best for that bar because you maintained steerage.
    Looks like an interesting place. I plan to be over there next January for the tall ships do at Russell.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Great to see your dedicated VMR team of volunteers with such a quick response time ,able to help Bob in a very nerve racking predicament .
    Also serves as a reminder for myself and all bar hoppers to carry a steering drouge. Probably a good idea to do a trial run with the use of a bridle while sailing with a reasonably balanced rig.

Stiletto I agree the old timers are absolutely right.
    I have actually lost steerage while entering the Tweed Bar with a flooding tide while under sail,which should serve as a reminder to be more vigilant regarding timing of bar crossings.
    Also whenever crossing bars I am a firm believer in having the mainsail up and having the boat sail ready, in case of engine failure,

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Great to see your dedicated VMR team of volunteers with such a quick response time ,able to help Bob in a very nerve racking predicament .
    Also serves as a reminder for myself and all bar hoppers to carry a steering drouge. Probably a good idea to do a trial run with the use of a bridle while sailing with a reasonably balanced rig.

Stiletto I agree the old timers are absolutely right.
    I have actually lost steerage while entering the Tweed Bar with a flooding tide while under sail,which should serve as a reminder to be more vigilant regarding timing of bar crossings.
    Also whenever crossing bars I am a firm believer in having the mainsail up and having the boat sail ready, in case of engine failure,
    Always. A yacht without a sail up is just a stick insect.