Thread: Windlass

Default Windlass

Does anybody know of a company that builds a classic style bronze windlass with a pair of cable lifters and a warping drum or two on it? Something that has electric power but can be hand cranked if required preferably.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Default Re: Windlass

How much do you want to spend? I'd guess Port Townsend Foundry has the patterns for something like that.

Alex

Sailor,

http://www.deepblueengineering.co.uk/

We just purchased one of his No2 for our boat and it's fantastic. This is on the deck of our boat..

Cheers,
    Mark

Capture.JPG

rbgarr, I envision cable lifters on both sides. Mark, does that have power as well as manual operation? I see the hand cranks but not where power would come from. Unless there was a motor that you could mount in place of the crank handles. I was asking mostly to get an idea of aesthetics and who makes what I'm looking for on the presumption that a company that makes one for a 100 ton vessel would also make a similar smaller one for a 10 ton vessel. And likely everything in between.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I have in my mind something like Mark posted above but with electric power as well as the manual crank power. The only combination manual and power I can find is this and it would require 2 of them given two cables on the vessel. Can anybody speak to Muir products?

https://www.ahoycaptain.com/muir_mvrc1200r24e.html
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Go to his website. He does powered units also. What size boat ? He just made a No1/2 that has electric power below decks.

We have a small Lewmar Windlass on our H28 "Bright Star". It is not powered by a motor but uses a double acting handle that works both on the push and the pull strokes. This is one of the best small windlasses I have ever owned! I believe that Lemar is focusing on electric windlasses now. But, if you can find one, it is a great windlass! It has both a Gypsy and a Wild Cat and is ultra smooth to operate. All it asks for, in return, is to be oiled once in a while. I did take it apart and powder coat the case plus replaced all the seals and gaskets when we bought the boat. Easy to use and service, it is a gem!
    Jay

Do they make them bigger as well Jay? I read a book last year, the year before perhaps about sailing in old age and it struck me that designing ease of use into the boat for an ageing sailor is a smart thing to do. I am 40 years old and want to be able to enjoy my boat and having powered winches and windlass is key to that I think. But I'm also old school and know that having manual backup for powered stuff is also critical hence the ask in my OP. The Deep Blue Engineering company web site has a sketch for a windlass they're building for the ketch Ilen and it appears to be exactly what I will need. Shaping up to be a beautiful piece of engineering:

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

As I said, just a sketch on their website for now but it's being built and he says making changes like scaling up or down the cable lifter size is easy for him to do. Motor is below decks and engages through a clutch mechanism. I suspect it's hidden by the mast in the sketch above. I look forward to seeing it because his other windlasses are beautiful.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

The little electric windlass you posted above and the windlass for the Ilen seem to be sized for totally different sized vessels. What size boat do you need a windlass for ?

BTW, I don't think you need electric windlass / winch on a well laid out boat.

I want to make life in old age easier. A powered windlass and winches will help with that. Keeping the size under wraps for now but big. Ilene big.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I have in my mind something like Mark posted above but with electric power as well as the manual crank power. The only combination manual and power I can find is this and it would require 2 of them given two cables on the vessel. Can anybody speak to Muir products?

https://www.ahoycaptain.com/muir_mvrc1200r24e.html
    https://www.muir.com.au/ Excellent gear, I doubt you'll find better.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Keeping the size under wraps for now but big. Ilene big.
    We are finishing up our boat which is ~30 tons. My suggestion would be to build something a bit smaller. At least in Canada keep it under 15m LOA, we are just over and it's more hoops for registration. If you ever plan to do any sail training the TC guidelines are a "shall" for over 15m, and a "should" for under. We don't plan on sail training, but being 15.62 m LOA is the wrong side of the line

Hi Sailor,
    Not Sure if you saw the pictures posted on FB from webster's boat machinery & deep blue engineering.
    Cheers,
    Mark

IlenWIndlass.jpg

It is beautiful,but don't you need three people and a monkey to run it?
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

I did see those pictures on my Facebook feed. What a beautiful piece of art isn't it?
    -Henry David Thoreau-

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Good God that's fine!

If have a 45 year old all electric Muir windlass on my 50 foot 20 ton boat. Works great. It has a manual capability for emergencies, but I can't imagine going manual as a matter of choice. I'm 57 and fairly fit, but buggered if I want to muscle my anchor and chain up from the seabed.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Phil Y; 06-09-2018 at 05:08 PM.

I think there is a difference between a true manual windlass and an electric one with a manual backup for ease of use. Like Jay said above his windlass works great. We had a traditional ratchet / paw windlass on our last boat, and it also worked very well.

Cheers,
    Mark

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

For my money, Jay's windlass is mounted too far forward. Mine is about 8 feet back. I can stand between the windlass and cat(roller) , pull the chain up into a triangle and muscle it aft, where the gypsy collects it, or just sit on deck in front of the windlas,pull the chain aft and give it to the gypsy, where the same thing happens. Like a jib sheet winch, one does not have to use the handle to utilize the one direction pawl. I only use the handle to actually break the anchor.
    That said, I carry both a hand and electric,two separate independent windlass's.

Mine is certainly electric, with hand back up. It also doesn't have the two drums which the OP wants, but I'm sure there are ways around that. My boat is big enough to have substantial electric systems, and even more substantial ground tackle. On a smaller boat I'd probably be happy with a manual windlass, but on a 50 footer I think electric makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    For my money, Jay's windlass is mounted too far forward. Mine is about 8 feet back. I can stand between the windlass and cat(roller) , pull the chain up into a triangle and muscle it aft, where the gypsy collects it, or just sit on deck in front of the windlas,pull the chain aft and give it to the gypsy, where the same thing happens. Like a jib sheet winch, one does not have to use the handle to utilize the one direction pawl. I only use the handle to actually break the anchor.
    That said, I carry both a hand and electric,two separate independent windlass's.
    While that may be true, it was on the boat when we bought it. It is not inconvenient to use in this position as the rode drops straight down into the cable tier.
    Jay

I was out on a 70 ton lugger yesterday, and it had a manual windlass also. It made me wonder if the choice for electric has more to do with the boat design. There are many lighter craft with lots of windage (compared to a traditional heavy displacement hull) that need good sized ground tackle, yet can't afford the mass of a manual windlass. Ours is ~155 kgs, while a similar sized electric one would be around 70kgs.

Just a thought, Mark

My boat weighs 20 tons, so not too fussed about a bit of foredeck weight. I just wouldnt enjoy muscling the anchor and chain up from the seabed.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    My boat weighs 20 tons, so not too fussed about a bit of foredeck weight. I just wouldnt enjoy muscling the anchor and chain up from the seabed.
    When you say muscling, do you mean operating a manual windlass or bringing the anchor up hand over hand? Out of curiosity, how heavy is your anchor, and how heavy is the chain? Must be a fair whack for a 20 ton boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    When you say muscling, do you mean operating a manual windlass or bringing the anchor up hand over hand? Out of curiosity, how heavy is your anchor, and how heavy is the chain? Must be a fair whack for a 20 ton boat?
    I mean operating a manual winndlass. I couldn't haul my anchor up by hand. I dont actually know how heavy my anchor is. Its a big mutha. Delta style. Or what weight/size the chain is. Quite big. I think that reefing line is 12mm, so,is the chain 1/2 inch 5/8? I dont know.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Phil Y; 06-12-2018 at 07:06 AM.

Hi Sailor,

The point of my posts is that if you are building something of substantial size, go take a look at similar boats and talk to the folks sailing them. The comment I've heard most about windlass selection is that get something that will be bombproof / easily fixed that is designed to operated manually an do it without being hard for crew.

Looking forward to seeing your build plans. That's a hint.
    Mark